Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bounty Killer's travel documents seized

Credits

Talking Bounty Killer's travel documents seized

PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad - A city Magistrate yesterday ordered the police to seize the travel documents of Jamaican singer Rodney "Bounty Killer" Price after he appeared in court here on charges of using obscene language during a show over the weekend.

Magistrate Maureen Gafoor adjourned the case to 1 Nov., after Price first pleaded not guilty and then changed his plea to guilty of using obscene language during his performance in the "Summerfest 2004" concert on Saturday night.

Price was released on US$4,100 bail on Sunday.

Legal sources said that it was likely that the Jamaican singer would appeal to a Judge in Chambers later this week to challenge the Magistrate's order.

Price was arrested during the early hours of Sunday morning after he burst into a series of expletives during his performance. Another Jamaican artiste "Elephant Man", who was carded to perform refused to do so after Price was arrested.

Police fired several shots into the air to disperse the crowd that had become agitated, throwing bottles and chairs at the stage.

Promoter Roy Maharaj of Tri Star Promotions told a news conference that while he had no problem with the police arresting the singer, he thought it should have been done at the end of his performance.

"The police dealt with the situation poorly. They could have allowed the man to finish his performance and wait until he had left the stage before arresting him. That is not the way to do things. The people who paid their money had a right to be angry when the artiste did not perform," he said.

Maharaj said he intends to organise a free concert featuring various regional and local artistes later this year.
    Last edited by DRAGON; 08-17-2004 at 10:31 AM.

Brownilus
    Why won't they leave my husband ALONE!!!!

Credits
    he got his passport back... because he has to perform in bk... this weekend

Jamaican dancehall and reggae artiste Bounty Killa, whose real name is Rodney Price, heading to the Port of Spain Hall of Justice yesterday for an order to have his passport (which had been seized by the police) returned to him. Photo: DEXTER PHILIP

He may have spent most of yesterday in a wrangle with the courts, but famed Jamaican reggae artiste Bounty Killa emerged at the end of his experience without any bitterness to the country, and plans to host a free concert later this year.

Saying that he had "nothing but love" for the people of this country, the multi-platinum singer, whose name is Rodney Price, said the concert would be for the benefit of the thousands whom he had disappointed at last Saturday's Summer Fest concert.

"It (was) only a little inconvenience, but I get to know the people more," he said of his interactions with the police and court system.

Police arrested Price, 32, ten minutes into his performance at the concert, which also featured Jamaican dancehall artist Elephant Man and local performers Denise Belfon and Machel Montano, at the Queen's Park Savannah for allegedly using obscene language.

Price was taken to the Central Police Station, where PC Andre Forgenie charged him with using obscene language.

He appeared yesterday morning before Magistrate Maureen Baboolal-Gafoor in the Port of Spain Third Magistrate's Court to face the charge. He initially pleaded not guilty, but then admitted guilt-after consulting with his attorney, Devesh Maharaj.

The plea changed again after the police prosecutor read the alleged facts of the case. Maharaj told the magistrate that, while Price admitted to using an obscene word, he disagreed with certain aspects of the prosecution's case.

Magistrate Gafoor then entered a not-guilty plea, and as she adjourned the matter to November 1, she ordered that Price's $25,000 bail continue.

She also ordered that his passport, which had been confiscated on Sunday, remain in police custody-which meant that Price would have had to remain in Trinidad until the next hearing of the matter.

Price, who had remained quiet and composed while in court, was heard shouting while leaving the court house, complaining of unfair treatment.

His manager of five years, Julian John Griffith, later told the media that Price was due in Jamaica tonight to perform at a concert, and in New York on Saturday for another concert.

The complaint eventually reached the Port of Spain High Court where, in a special hearing to vary the bail conditions, Justice Prakash Moosai revoked the magistrate's order regarding the passport and ordered that the document be returned to Price forthwith.

Price was represented by attorneys Mario Merritt and Wayne Sturge.

State attorney Jennifer Martin did not object to the revocation of the condition after Price gave an undertaking to return to Trinidad on October 31, in time for the next hearing of the case against him.

Price, who appeared to be upset and refused to speak to the media before heading to court, was all smiles as he left the Port of Spain Hall of Justice around 4.30 p.m. yesterday.

"It's all good at this moment. The only problem I had earlier this morning was that I would have (had) to stay in the country until November 1," he said.

He said he did not mind being processed by the police, calling the procedure a "normal thing for the people".

He said he harboured no ill-will against the police because "they have to do their job".

"So I feel good how I got back my passport," he continued.

Price expressed apologies for the obscene language he used.

"They (the police) did their job. I only did want to do the concert, so that's the only regret I have: never getting to do the concert," he said.

Insisting that he would not turn his back to the patrons who had missed out on his performance, Price revealed that he will be meeting with Roy Maharaj, who promoted Summer Fest, "to try to work something to do back a concert for free".

"The people in Trinidad who paid (for Saturday's show) will get to come and see the concert for free and jam and feel nice," he said with a laugh.
    Last edited by DRAGON; 08-17-2004 at 10:35 AM.

Credits
    that is so ridiculous....instead of they sieze de kidnappers and murderers travel documents....dey siezing entertainers....gimme a break!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Honikane
    that is so ridiculous....instead of they sieze de kidnappers and murderers travel documents....dey siezing entertainers....gimme a break!

ain't dat the dam truth.. funny ting dey always arresting entertainers for cussing...

and doh nobody cuss worst dan ah trini....(a west indian)

Lex
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by slimgyal
    ain't dat the dam truth.. funny ting dey always arresting entertainers for cussing...

I cannot believe that it is against the law to curse in public when drinking in public is legal. Go figure.
    I was at that show and the way it happened was innocent. There was no reason to arrest the man when he practically just got on the stage to perform for just using the word f**k twice in the context of explaining what cause his performance to be somewhat short the last time he performed. He just got a little excited by the whole experience. In all fairness he did apologize for any disrespect to the police etc.
    Then to seize his documents and hold him over in the country for 2 and a half months for a $400 misdeamenor charge is totally uncalled for. I am glad he was able to go fulfill his contractual agreements.
    I was pissed I was unable to enjoy the performance I paid to see. He should have been allowed to finish his set and then be arrested.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex
    I cannot believe that it is against the law to curse in public when drinking in public is legal. Go figure.
    I was at that show and the way it happened was innocent. There was no reason to arrest the man when he practically just got on the stage to perform for just using the word f**k twice in the context of explaining what cause his performance to be somewhat short the last time he performed. He just got a little excited by the whole experience. In all fairness he did apologize for any disrespect to the police etc.
    Then to seize his documents and hold him over in the country for 2 and a half months for a $400 misdeamenor charge is totally uncalled for. I am glad he was able to go fulfill his contractual agreements.
    I was pissed I was unable to enjoy the performance I paid to see. He should have been allowed to finish his set and then be arrested.
    i sure dem was cussin when dem arrest him... steups.. they need to organize dem priorities
    The saint and the sinner are just exchanging notes. Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.

The matador wins by avoiding the bull not colliding with him!

Credits
    ok now i read the articles and thing, but ah still cyah understand why elephant man didn't perform.
    was he planning on cussing??

Lex
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by fyzochick
    ok now i read the articles and thing, but ah still cyah understand why elephant man didn't perform.
    Eley, did not perform, because he felt if Bounty wasn't set free to do his thing, well he is not going on either. They are part of the Alliance crew and he felt he was supporting his brother by boycotting the event. I totally understand his solidarity effort even though he was already paid and the people who paid for the concert was short changed. The police action was inconsiderate and Bounty was cool, he just walked off with them.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by fyzochick
    He had to support his fellow artist ....

...concrete jungle where dreams are made of...
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Honikane
    "Create the highest, grandest vision possible for your life, because you become what you believe." - Oprah Winfrey

"If you keep believing in yourself and seek enthusiasm inside your soul, things will get simpler, more spontaneous." ~Paulo Coelho

"I find your lack of faith disturbing" - Darth Vader

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit
    the floor each morning the devil says:
    "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Credits

I find bajans cuss more:) But it real stupid that they would even think to hold someone there for cursing. Spend that money on getting some more ambulances or something rather than waste time and money in court cases like that.

Credits
    the whole dam ting is so stupid.... we so flipping backwards... ur go arrest ah man feh cussin on ah stage... but u can go in the gas station and buy rum... when dey have laws about drinking and driving... makes so flipping sense...

its not like they don't know what these performers is all about.. y should the have to change around their lyrics... they should perform the songs the way the ppl know it....

just my two sense..

Lex
    Credits
    the whole dam ting is so stupid.... we so flipping backwards... ur go arrest ah man feh cussin on ah stage... but u can go in the gas station and buy rum... when dey have laws about drinking and driving... makes so flipping sense...

its not like they don't know what these performers is all about.. y should the have to change around their lyrics... they should perform the songs the way the ppl know it....

just my two sense..
    The thing is, he did not curse while singing his song. It was after his first tune when he was explaining that he was going to give us 100% for this show and got emotional and let out the 2 curse word. Which was quite innocent and he wasn't cursing out anyone in particular. I am still peeved at this nonsense.

TC
    Credits
    For them stupid obscene language cases i does feel to kick up all them police and judge m$%%% F$$%%%& R. Nobody in the world can cuss more than we! That its still today a chargable offence to cuss is totally stupid! Buh seize documents....steeeeuuuuuppppsss!the fackers!

Time and again artists performing in Tand T get charged fuh cussin...so the promoters cyar warn them what a dotish place it is to cuss???...and who cares bout cussin...the people just want to be entertained, and paid for the privilege.

I so bllllllaaaaaaaasted vex now, I was packing up to go back to Tand T, but I now cyant out alll the facking clothes from the flicking grip! I thought our country was a democratic Republic...the frigging Dictators! AH VEX!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast