Thread: Blood Diamonds

Credits

Blood Diamonds

I'm looking at a program on BET called 'The Chop Up' with Jeff Johnson...they're taking a look at Liberia and the fact that diamonds are/were used to finance the war there. It's bringing tears to my eyes man...

If/When you buy 'ice' do you give thought to where it comes from? Do you care?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinjer
    I'm looking at a program on BET called 'The Chop Up' with Jeff Johnson...they're taking a look at Liberia and the fact that diamonds are/were used to finance the war there. It's bringing tears to my eyes man...

Nah because i only buy fake ice (plastic ,Glass or quartz crystals). So i dont need to worry about that.
    “I cannot give you the formula for success, but I can give you the formula for failure–which is:
    Try to please everybody” Herbert Bayard Swope

Dragon
    We spoke about this in the past and Monday you will have a few people claiming we should not buy diamonds . But if you start boycotting everything . You will be walking around naked and hungry
    When was the last time you see Oprah on TV saying she giving up her diamonds .

Taj
    Credits
    Dammit I forgot it was coming on
    I missed it.

Ohhhhh now Mahogany showing Luv dat movie
    “A sharp knife never proclaims it’s sharpness to the world…but the first to fall against it becomes it’s advocate.”

You can put any face behind a mask but be careful cos someone else might be pretending. You might not be the only one with a secret -- Cassie/Gretel

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Taj
    Dammit I forgot it was coming on
    I missed it.

Ohhhhh now Mahogany showing Luv dat movie
    Its coming on later 2day @ 8:30.

Taj
    Credits
    My superhero ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thank you much
    “A sharp knife never proclaims it’s sharpness to the world…but the first to fall against it becomes it’s advocate.”

You can put any face behind a mask but be careful cos someone else might be pretending. You might not be the only one with a secret -- Cassie/Gretel

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinjer

The blood Diamonds thing is old news...Kanye even rapped about it in "Diamonds"...was touched on in "Lord of War"...you know once it creeps into popular culture it's old hat.

I'm not into jewelry and other superficial displays of wealth like that, but if I were it would matter to me where it came from.

Taj
    Credits
    Tru dat
    Quote Originally Posted by Bake n Shark
    The blood Diamonds thing is old news...Kanye even rapped about it in "Diamonds"...was touched on in "Lord of War"...you know once it creeps into popular culture it's old hat.

I'm not into jewelry and other superficial displays of wealth like that, but if I were it would matter to me where it came from.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Bake n Shark

yeah i heard about it through Kanye's song...ripped my heart out to see the documentry though....our culture has become so much about displaying wealth...like in SVG...you have the younsters decked out on the latest most expensive clothing yet they are on the sidewalk scrunting 5 dollars to go buy a beer...

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon
    We spoke about this in the past and Monday you will have a few people claiming we should not buy diamonds . But if you start boycotting everything . You will be walking around naked and hungry
    Nobody saying to boycott EVERYTHING but putting social conciousness over materialism never hurt anyone
    When was the last time you see Oprah on TV saying she giving up her diamonds .
    Oprah is both an intelligent and socially conscious woman and I'm willing to bet my paycheck that she's smart enough to inquire WHERE her diamonds are coming from before she buys them. ARE YOU????

Credits
    Like bake n shark is old news ...but is still important to be aware of ...is not such the matter of us boycotting diamonds ...but maybe WE SHOULD BOYCOTT LISTENIN TO THE HIP HOP CULTURE that is/has glorified the acquiring of the diamonds ... them along with other high profile celebrities (black,white etc) .... Kanye west is a hip hopocrite so maybe he should give up his diamonds first.

All i'm saying is be more CONSCIOUS ! Cause the same sneakers dat Micheal Jordan charges 200 plus for sneakers (do white ppl rush to buy jordans?)to his own black ppl is being made for a couple of cents.... jus like the clothes yuh and I wear

hotep (Supreme Peace)
    Last edited by soca_souljah; 05-14-2006 at 07:49 PM.
    Agitate until we create a stable society that benefits all our people.
    Instigate the nation until we remedy the injustices of society.
    Motivate our people to set a meaningful path for coming generations.
    Educate our people to free our minds and develop our consciousness

Mwongozi Cudjoe (Chedmond Browne)
    Chairman of Free Montserrat United Movement

Credits
    The major profits from the diamond trade comes from industrial diamonds, that have to be of top quality and particular cut. So unless you are considering boycotting all manufactured goods..

Also, the major the companies involved in the trade are not getting punished but the countries/governments are

Credits

Arrow

Kanye west is a hip hopocrite so maybe he should give up his diamonds first.

listin' 2 the remix again, u might understand the lyrics

Credits
    no ice for me, i absolutely do think about where it comes from; & once i found out - that was it. Not that i ever had a lot of it anyway but.... sold the bits i had, and definitely won't deal with it now.

not when that lovely impressive 'display of wealth' comes direckly off the broken backs of the Liberian people sent dung into them mines to get the thing, which exploits them in the first place, and then used to keep them down. can't say i've seen many mine workers sportin the fruits of them own labour - all that stuff whe he worked so hard to get - for the owners of sed mine to make obscene profits, and the workers go home and can't feed their chilren.

i'm not one a them hippie 'boycotters' or tree-huggers, most things i know i can't do nuthin about anyways, so - whatever.

but for this particular issue i have to stand up, it is too wrong. if its was some kinda important medicine needed to save lives or someting - that might be different. But just for some stupid meaningless adornment to impress some other smaddies, or just to mek myself feel like some kinda phony big smaddy? and it eh have no real usefulness?

not me and that, nope.
    Last edited by MissBlue; 06-24-2006 at 02:28 AM.
    pan every day & twice on Sunday