Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blacks hiring Blacks

Links30

Question Blacks hiring Blacks

Is it a problem?

Some rather have a white interviewer than a black interviewer when it comes getting a job...

Why is that?

Are there reasons why some blacks prefer someone else other than Black when being interviewed for a position?

Let me narrow it down some more, is it a problem for some blacks that are from Caribbean decent to be interviewed by Afro- American Blacks or visavera?
    Last edited by Links30; 01-17-2007 at 01:33 PM.

Credits
    i dont give a sh!t really.. i usually go in for interviews when i know my diversity comes at advantage i just want to put my foot in the door

Links30
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneshot View Post
    i dont give a sh!t really.. i usually go in for interviews when i know my diversity comes at advantage i just want to put my foot in the door
    True but seriously speaking, there are blacks out there that would stop you from being able to put your foot in the door, purposely too.

Credits
    other races do it....other orientations do it obviously as well...

question: do you guys put your race on forms? think it helps?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Bago20 View Post
    True but seriously speaking, there are blacks out there that would stop you from being able to put your foot in the door, purposely too.
    I've never had that experience.

When I see people of color interviewing me, it's always worked out to my advantage.

Links30
    Quote Originally Posted by RotiKing2004eva View Post
    other races do it....other orientations do it obviously as well...

question: do you guys put your race on forms? think it helps?
    Good question, i personally think it is a waste of time, why should someone race determine if they are the right match for the position. What they should concentrate on is the experience and education level, what does race have to do with it?

When ever i see something like that, please state what ethnicity you are i always use to put decline to answer, why? because i think it is irrelevant. And it makes me think is this company researching on how many such n such people from a group works for them or are they trying to meet a certain quota, i just don't do it.

Credits
    Is it a problem?

Some rather have a white interviewer than a black interviewer when it comes getting a job...

Why is that?

Are there reasons why some blacks prefer someone else other than Black when being interviewed for a position?

Let me narrow it down some more, is it a problem for some blacks that are from Caribbean decent to be interviewed by Afro- American Blacks or visavera?
    My best job ever - should have been my lifelong career, but I screwed the opp, came from a black woman who introduced me to another black woman (they were sorors) and the woman who gave me the job ALWAYS looked out for me and had me in her best interests. When she got promoted, she made sure I benefited (sp). Great looking out, but I moved back to New York. to marry my baby daddy. LOL. THAT never happened. BUT, if ever the time came where I wanted to move back to VA - she'd definitely without a doubt get me something nice. All in due time...

Also, interestingly enough - all of my jobs have come from women - whether black or white and one asian.

Credits
    I've been on both ends of the desk for an interview of a fellow person of colour or Caribbean person.

If I am being interviewed, I am bringing my skills. I do not assume that because you look or sound like me, we're best friends and I can start to slide.
    Unfortunately, I've interviewed a few who thought precisely that. They light up when they see me and figure it's a cake walk from here on in.

nuh uh...

Credits
    Is it a problem?

Why is that?

Why do you first separate white from black then black from black? Not geared at you, but I just don't understand why some chose to continuously separate the black race into sections, the 3 mains ones anyhow, american, caribbean, african. How can we unite if we continue to not want to be a part of one another? If on a form there's only white and black, what do africans and caribs chose?

To answer your question.... I work in human resourcese and the only reason I can give is that black people feel funny when they see other black people. They feel that the other may feel that they are a "brother or sister" so they can provide some inside info. It's weird though. It's like blacks snob eachother cuz they think one wants something from the other. We can't say we're gonna help eachother in the struggle out of one side of the mouth then turn around and snob eachotehr when we show up for interviews! There's really no right reason for this behavior, but it's my personal speculation.

Credits
    there are plenty whites, asians, hispanic who will do the same. i've personally never had that problem. my experience and intellect speaks for me when i interview. yeah, i've had some jerks, but it had nothing to do with their race, they were jerks regardless.

Credits
    it all depends on the type of job it is. If i am interviewing someone to pick cotton or reap crops, then the black american gets the nod. If i need someone to cut cane then who better than the west indians.

If i need someone to watch over the people working in the field then a white man gets the job!

All in all, the n!ggers are better at working in the field and the white men are better at management positions.

Links30
    Quote Originally Posted by Persia View Post
    Why do you first separate white from black then black from black? Not geared at you, but I just don't understand why some chose to continuously separate the black race into sections, the 3 mains ones anyhow, american, caribbean, african. How can we unite if we continue to not want to be a part of one another? If on a form there's only white and black, what do africans and caribs chose?

Answer to your question the only thing that is the same between African Americans, Caribbean Blacks and Africans is the skin color. thats it....

Mentality wise are completely different thus the reason why i chose to separate. There are blacks that are pretty much bad minded towards other blacks due to the fact that most black applicants may exceed there interviewer in terms of skills and education. To be honest i was more fearful of having a black interviewer of African American decent interview me other than a person from somewhere else. For my age i have gained a lot of experience and education and you just cannot help that some feel threated by this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Hershey View Post
    there are plenty whites, asians, hispanic who will do the same. i've personally never had that problem. my experience and intellect speaks for me when i interview. yeah, i've had some jerks, but it had nothing to do with their race, they were jerks regardless.
    True there are many whites, Asians, Hispanics that does it to there own but on what scale as per say blacks doing it towards each other?

Credits
    True there are many whites, Asians, Hispanics that does it to there own but on what scale as per say blacks doing it towards each other?
    call me naive, but i seriously think whites do it more to one another or even to blacks than we will do it to each other.

Links30
    Quote Originally Posted by Ras_Apache View Post
    it all depends on the type of job it is. If i am interviewing someone to pick cotton or reap crops, then the black american gets the nod. If i need someone to cut cane then who better than the west indians.

If i need someone to watch over the people working in the field then a white man gets the job!

All in all, the n!ggers are better at working in the field and the white men are better at management positions.
    American ideology may dictate that yes but i don't think that is really the case on what type of job one is applying for. I think it all stems to the way of thinking (the mentality) they may perceive they see another black applicant.

Perfect example: Some that have already respond to this thread and the majority of the comments are when blacks sees another black they automatically think it is going to be a walk in the park for the applicant... or they have the inside scoop on things and they are more likely to tell you whats what because your also black....

Credits
    I don't think it has to do with race, i can see either being a plus and or negative. To me it depends on what type of personthe interviewer is...so every situation might be different. Non Blacks can discriminate and be stereotypical like blacks also.

Just put your best foor forward as always, let their conscious get the better of them in the end.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast