Thread: For Blackrock

Credits

For Blackrock

Sandals ‘delighted’ - Monday 27, October-2003
    by Donna Sealy
    “ABSOLUTELY DELIGHTED”.

That was the response from Sandals Hotel director of finance and planning Patrick Lynch on Saturday night to the news that five years of legal wrangling between chairman of Sandals Resorts International, Gordon “Butch” Stewart, and American businessman William Everett Locke Jr over Paradise Beach had ended.

Speaking from Jamaica, Lynch said Locke’s decision “came out of the blue” as the group had expected the matter to drag on for another six to nine months, because they had not even been given a date to attend a Privy Council hearing.

“It is a great relief and we are delighted. He lost two (hearings) in Barbados . . . this was a long drawn-out matter,” he said.

Locke’s bid to acquire the 30-acre property from Sandals took him from the local Appellate Court all the way to the Privy Council in London. Last week his solicitor, Bracher Rawlins, filed papers with the London-based Privy Council Registry withdrawing the case.

A Press release sent to the NATION said Locke’s decision to abandon his appeal to the Privy Council in London was welcomed by Stewart.

“Now that the property is finally free from all legal entanglements, Sandals Resorts International will be actively exploring every avenue to facilitate its development or disposal,” he was quoted as saying.

Stewart was quoted in the Jamaica Observer newspaper as describing Locke’s action as a “frivolous lawsuit” “designed to frustrate” Sandals’ efforts to develop the property.

“The real loser is Barbados since such a prime asset located on one its finest beaches has been reduced to rot and ruin,” Stewart said, and added, that the rapid changes to the global economic landscape and particularly the weak world travel industry, meant that the development of the property would now be “far more challenging and expensive”.

He also said that Locke, as well as his silent partner, Dermot Desmond and the Sandy Lane Group, hotel operators here, must take “full responsibility for the lost jobs and other missed opportunities caused by the prolonged closure” of the Paradise Beach. Lynch said that the group (of directors) now had to sit down as a group and make its plans about the prime beachfront land property.

Earlier this year, Prime Minister Owen Arthur had instructed president and chief executive officer of the Barbados Tourism Investment Inc., Teddy Griffith, to purchase the property which has been closed since 1992 and is now home to vandals and paros.

On Saturday, he said there had been no substantive discussions on the matter.

The Sandals chairman added: “Despite the co-operation of the Government and the private sector, this entire affair has been the most difficult and frustrating experience for Sandals in its efforts to do business in the Caribbean”.

Stewart acquired the former Paradise Hotel in the early 1990s as part of a deal that included the purchase of two other hotels in St Lucia from the Cunard group.

In 1999, Locke attempted to buy the property for US$19 million from Bellingdon Ltd and Eastern Resorts Ltd (the parent company of Paradise).

However, under a letter of intent, he was to have placed US$100 000 in escrow as a good-faith fee prior to a due diligence.

He failed to meet the obligation.

http://www.nationnews.com/StoryView....2000%3A00%3A00
    Some men move mountains
    Some women move men who move mountains
    Most women with mountains move some men
    But I...I am a woman who is moved by men who can get through the valley

Queen GodIs

Credits
    Its a shame.. i didn't know there was a whole lawsuit regarding that property. It was truely a beautiful hotel with prime prime location! Sandals gonna try and get rid of it though, i don't think Butch gonna develop it. I hope a nice big chain hotel buy it so that it can remain affordable to the medium range traveller.

Credits
    Originally posted by Trinibaje
    Its a shame.. i didn't know there was a whole lawsuit regarding that property. It was truely a beautiful hotel with prime prime location! Sandals gonna try and get rid of it though, i don't think Butch gonna develop it. I hope a nice big chain hotel buy it so that it can remain affordable to the medium range traveller.
    DE PROBLEM WID SANDALS IS THAT THEY WERE TRYING TO MEK IT A PRIVATE BEACH...AND YOU KNOW DE BAJAN HISTORY ON PRIVATE BEACHES

jack don't want me to bade on my beach...
    Some men move mountains
    Some women move men who move mountains
    Most women with mountains move some men
    But I...I am a woman who is moved by men who can get through the valley

Queen GodIs

Credits
    Originally posted by Sugahkhayne
    DE PROBLEM WID SANDALS IS THAT THEY WERE TRYING TO MEK IT A PRIVATE BEACH...AND YOU KNOW DE BAJAN HISTORY ON PRIVATE BEACHES

BRADAXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX....*PUFFS OUT CHEST*

MrBlackRock
    lol@ vandals and paros.. facking cuunt... steups.. anyhow, i hope dem let de place rot cause if dah play get buy where else dem expect me to foop?

Credits
    Originally posted by Sugahkhayne

This sound like the Pigeon Point Issuse in Tobago..
    The saint and the sinner are just exchanging notes. Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.

The matador wins by avoiding the bull not colliding with him!