Credits

Black Women's Identity & Sterotypes

And keep your money, I got my own
    Keep a bigger smile on my face, being alone
    Bad motherfcuker, God complex
    Motivate your ass call me Malcolm X

Taj
    Credits
    whats sapphire gold digger? yes i didn't click the link....
    A sharp knife never proclaims its sharpness to the worldbut the first to fall against it becomes its advocate.

You can put any face behind a mask but be careful cos someone else might be pretending. You might not be the only one with a secret -- Cassie/Gretel

Credits
    ***Waits for Bago to come in***
    I cannot give you the formula for success, but I can give you the formula for failurewhich is:
    Try to please everybody Herbert Bayard Swope

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Taj View Post
    whats sapphire gold digger? yes i didn't click the link....

Sapphire

The Sapphire Caricature portrays Black women as rude, loud, malicious, stubborn, and overbearing. This is the Angry Black Woman (ABW) popularized in the cinema and on television. She is tart-tongued and emasculating, one hand on a hip the other pointing and jabbing (or arms akimbo), violently and rhythmically rocking her head, mocking African American men for offenses ranging from being unemployed to sexually pursuing White women. She is a shrill nagger with irrational states of anger and indignation -- prone to being mean-spirited and abusive. Although African American men are her primary targets, she has venom for anyone who insults or disrespects her. The Sapphire's desire to dominate and her hyper-sensitivity to injustices means that she is a perpetual complainer, but she does not criticize to improve things; rather, she criticizes because she is unendingly bitter and wishes that unhappiness on others. The Sapphire Caricature is a harsh portrayal of African American women, but it is more than that; it is a social control mechanism that is employed to punish Black women who violate the societal norms that encourage Black women to be passive, servile, non-threatening, and unseen

Sapphire Caricature - Jim Crow Museum at Ferris State University
    Last edited by triniameri; 04-27-2011 at 12:05 PM.

Credits
    although i just love stuff like this...i haven't got the time to read the article in it's entirety....and then give my interpretations, although i have referenced some of these things in the past....

i don't think a lot of caribbean people are aware of these stereotypes, therefore the men are oblivious to how they perpetuate them from the oppressive standpoint...and that's why culturally they tapdance on the edges of misogyny and are most definitely sexists and chauvanists...but will mask it under the guise of traditionalism...although traditionally the role/view of black women was never a positive one...

the acknowledgment of the truths of this article is to accept the role as a feminist, and i am of the belief that many women are afraid to wear that label...so let's see how far this goes...and most men are not introspective or reflective enough to even care what the article is saying...because for them to even challenge the notions is to uproot the foundation of power that they have taken comfort in

good luck with your thread....once i have done my chores for the day, i shall return and try to finish reading that article...THIS is the stuff i live for...hopefully the men of imix have enough depth to engage in discourse
    you ALL AGREE with my opinion, which is why NONE of you ever EFFECTIVELY DISPUTE IT

you ONLY have faith in the WOMEN'S ability to ELEVATE which is why you only FOCUS ON WOMEN...you ALL have long given up on Black men

you just don't have the BALLS to OVERTLY AGREE....rather just do it INDIRECTLY

weak men only can deal with weaker women

in the presence of strength you diminish...

T-MAKAA
    Quote Originally Posted by NikkiGiovanni View Post
    although i just love stuff like this...i haven't got the time to read the article in it's entirety....and then give my interpretations, although i have referenced some of these things in the past....

i don't think a lot of caribbean people are aware of these stereotypes, therefore the men are oblivious to how they perpetuate them from the oppressive standpoint...and that's why culturally they tapdance on the edges of misogyny and are most definitely sexists and chauvanists...but will mask it under the guise of traditionalism...although traditionally the role/view of black women was never a positive one...

the acknowledgment of the truths of this article is to accept the role as a feminist, and i am of the belief that many women are afraid to wear that label...so let's see how far this goes...and most men are not introspective or reflective enough to even care what the article is saying...because for them to even challenge the notions is to uproot the foundation of power that they have taken comfort in

good luck with your thread....once i have done my chores for the day, i shall return and try to finish reading that article...THIS is the stuff i live for...hopefully the men of imix have enough depth to engage in discourse
    SMH Like a broken record

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by T-MAKAA View Post
    SMH Like a broken record
    don't worry about me....acknowledge the article...what are your thoughts on the article?
    you ALL AGREE with my opinion, which is why NONE of you ever EFFECTIVELY DISPUTE IT

you ONLY have faith in the WOMEN'S ability to ELEVATE which is why you only FOCUS ON WOMEN...you ALL have long given up on Black men

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by triniameri View Post
    and to add...to understand what the article is saying..(although again i just skimmed) you have to have a very good knowledge of the history of the racial and sexual dynamics in america..which is quite unique

you making me want to go read some Frantz Fanon and James Baldwin now...lol

Credits
    Agree w/ much of what Nikki said. However, I think that even if the stereotypes may not be the same in the caribbean the root is the same. As Chinky never fails to point out how the "white/indian/chinee/syrian soff hair" females can get way w/ certain behaviors and its perceived as good, clean fun while an african looking woman is a jamette/low class etc. The same notions and stereotypes exist worldwide *sidenote* PBS has been airing Black in Latin America -Brazil is tonight".

Anyway, I think it would be awesome if any male that bothered to read the article digested this part if nothing else:

More strikingly, while trying to display the dehumanizing legacy of slavery and to mitigate the blemishes of Blacks in order to advance their own people, many Black scholars (such as Edward Franklin Frazier, Booker T Washington, members of The American Negro Academy or The Talented Tenth, Du Bois, Alexander Crummcil, Bess Beatty, William Wells Brown, Alexander Crummell, and George Washington Williams) too often enhanced negative stereotypes about Black women.19 In their emphasis on domesticity, monogamy, sexual restraint and passionlessness, respectable clothes, and in short patriarchal values of true womanhood, these Black scholars seemed prominently governed by views and interpretations that resonated with Whites. In this view, they reshaped the bad image of Black women (autonomous, having a central role in the family, working outside the house, sexually free) into a good feminine picture conforming to White societys patriarchal ideals. Hence, they underestimated their own values and ideals and admitted their cultural inferiority. It was what Frazier labelled the inferiority complex so well exhibited by the Black bourgeoisie.
    The bold especially could be applied to so many examples of africans rejecting africaness.
    "Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses." -Plato

"god is the deification of a culture."
    -Dr Yosef ben-Jochannan

Credits
    It's just sad that we live in the 21st Century and sterotypes are still heaped upon black women...

..oh what would the world be like if were were instead put up on pedestals instead of used as a footstool ! If reincarnation is true I want to come back as a big titty blonde with blue eyes

TMAKKA to say it doesn't exist or think we are over exaggerating is so not true! These sterotypes are constantly perpetuated and have been woven so deep into mainstream society that most don't even realize it was a conscious effort set to demean and belittle the black woman... even when we work hard to seperate ourselves from these sterotypes we are constantly thrown into one of these 4 categories

Credits
    It's just sad that we live in the 21st Century and sterotypes are still heaped upon black women...

..oh what would the world be like if were were instead put up on pedestals instead of used as a footstool ! If reincarnation is true I want to come back as a big titty blonde with blue eyes

TMAKKA to say it doesn't exist or think we are over exaggerating is so not true! These sterotypes are constantly perpetuated and have been woven so deep into mainstream society that most don't even realize it was a conscious effort set to demean and belittle the black woman... even when we work hard to seperate ourselves from these sterotypes we are constantly thrown into one of these 4 categories
    of course....because no matter what we do, it will be seen as negative....if we assume the role of a more feminine, demure woman, that is groomed to be treated like a princess (the way white women are, as per Taj's article in the random thoughts thread) we will be seen as gold diggers, but if we attempt to be more independent and strong and try to shed the position of inferiority that was thrust upon us, we then become the sapphires

even some depictions of Harriet Tubman are borderline sapphiresque, and look what she was trying to achieve

Juan Dan

Sapphire

The Sapphire Caricature portrays Black women as rude, loud, malicious, stubborn, and overbearing. This is the Angry Black Woman (ABW) popularized in the cinema and on television. She is tart-tongued and emasculating, one hand on a hip the other pointing and jabbing (or arms akimbo), violently and rhythmically rocking her head, mocking African American men for offenses ranging from being unemployed to sexually pursuing White women. She is a shrill nagger with irrational states of anger and indignation -- prone to being mean-spirited and abusive. Although African American men are her primary targets, she has venom for anyone who insults or disrespects her. The Sapphire's desire to dominate and her hyper-sensitivity to injustices means that she is a perpetual complainer, but she does not criticize to improve things; rather, she criticizes because she is unendingly bitter and wishes that unhappiness on others. The Sapphire Caricature is a harsh portrayal of African American women, but it is more than that; it is a social control mechanism that is employed to punish Black women who violate the societal norms that encourage Black women to be passive, servile, non-threatening, and unseen

Sapphire Caricature - Jim Crow Museum at Ferris State University
    wow
    amazing

as long as maysanic people and those tied to them like furrkhan, dubois, louverture, etc etc have say so and can dictate the FUTURE of "blacks"
    the non individuals will forever have a problem

there is a lotta confusion
    yet one should simply be an individual and deal with love

not hate for woite women, people, society, black men, blah blah blah

if good reason why not

I personally dont like too much hate, aggression etc

and I gather many others dont

hence the woman described above as saphire, however many that fits

will find life a bit difficult in relation to dating and people relations

and only a man willing to also scream, fight, hot tempered like her who can OVERCOME her can deal with or be with her

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by BacchanalDiva View Post
    Agree w/ much of what Nikki said. However, I think that even if the stereotypes may not be the same in the caribbean the root is the same. As Chinky never fails to point out how the "white/indian/chinee/syrian soff hair" females can get way w/ certain behaviors and its perceived as good, clean fun while an african looking woman is a jamette/low class etc. The same notions and stereotypes exist worldwide *sidenote* PBS has been airing Black in Latin America -Brazil is tonight".

Anyway, I think it would be awesome if any male that bothered to read the article digested this part if nothing else:

The bold especially could be applied to so many examples of africans rejecting africaness.

and why anything that is pro-black is frowned upon...it's almost like black people suffer from cultural schizophrenia....we try to shun all that we inherently are and adapt the ideals of things that we are not, but our inherent blackness will constantly fight for dominance

i really hope this thread takes off in an intelligent manner with no bashing....

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by NikkiGiovanni View Post
    and why anything that is pro-black is frowned upon...it's almost like black people suffer from cultural schizophrenia....we try to shun all that we inherently are and adapt the ideals of things that we are not, but our inherent blackness will constantly fight for dominance

i really hope this thread takes off in an intelligent manner with no bashing....
    Because the assumption is you anti *insert whatever here*, mind you all other groups practice and can atrribute success to being pro asian/latino/jewish etc. I also think black suffer from and or trip over ourselves trying to prove how much we love everybody.

P.S. - I'm willing to bet monoply money someone will come and say, they tried to support black *insert here* but got a dirty spoon, the waitress didn't smile, etc. and therefore I no longer support...
    Our Queen went to sleep, her people left to weep....in song she lives on.

Long Live the Queen!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by chinky eyes View Post
    Because the assumption is you anti *insert whatever here*, mind you all other groups practice and can atrribute success to being pro asian/latino/jewish etc. I also think black suffer from and or trip over ourselves trying to prove how much we love everybody.

P.S. - I'm willing to bet monoply money someone will come and say, they tried to support black *insert here* but got a dirty spoon, the waitress didn't smile, etc. and therefore I no longer support...

I have seen AA's try to operate clean carryouts in DC neighborhoods and no one wants to support- they will usually close within 6 months but those same black customers will run to a dirty, bars on the window, bullet proof plexi glass chinese or Korean carryout like Yums or Sammy's ...makes me wanna holla!
    I have been doing a social expriment on myself lately noticing how people especially blacks react to me when I wear my hair naturally or when I tie my head up....hmph you should see the expressions and rolled eyes.. it's like, "She has some damn nerve, to come out the house like that!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast