Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Women: Whats Happen To The Hair Care Industry ?

Credits

Black Women: Whats Happen To The Hair Care Industry ?

The black hair care industry is a multi-billion dollar industry. There have been estimates of $1-15 billion dollars in revenue from black consumers.

Koreans dominate the industry with control of more than 80 percent of the distribution of Black hair care products, beauty supply stores and the wig and extension manufacturers.

Aron Ranenís Black Hair documentary suggest Koreans have maintained their presence in the industry by relying on their native language to exclude non-Korean black hair care business owners from the industry. Sidenote...maybe it's the critic in me but I find it ironic that this documentary about black hair was made by a white man.

Koreans most often ostracize non-Koreans from the industry by refusing to distribute to or for them or by charging them higher prices than they would fellow Koreans.

Most black folks won't think twice about buying a $1-$2 dollar cheaper product from a Korean owned beauty supply store rather than a black owned beauty supply store. Most have NEVER asked themselves why the product is cheaper at the Korean owned beauty store.... and most don't care.

Koreans ONLY employ Koreans in their black beauty supply stores which are located across the country in black neighborhoods.

Black people as a collective have control over only one "non-profit" organization: The Black Church and it is on that bullshit. It doesn't take much to sway the black church. Simply hand over a hardy donation and your political party will surely get plugged. If politicians can buy the black church so can most others.

So, why the hell do black folks continue to look to it with pride and guidance?

I bet this is one issue you haven't heard about in church. It seems the important information that needs to be said is not important to the black church.

Koreans and other Asian immigrants do not have to pay taxes for their first 5 years of living in the United States.
    Koreans duplicate black hair care products produced by black folks in order to blackball the blacks made product from the industry. Point blank...Koreans try to mostly sell their own shit in their black hair supply stores.

Koreans have UNITY....black folks have EXCUSES.

Koreans are often racist yet they have no quarrel about taking "black" money.
    Last but perhaps one of most important facts....If black women would love what is NATURAL we wouldn't have this problem.

The black hair care industry use to be a sure way to make money in the black community....that's not the case anymore. Someone is going to make money but 9 times out of 10 it won't be a blacks

Credits
    You posted the article to say what, black ppl should only buy/support black owned beauty supply stores?

Round these parts (imix) you will be called rayist.

Disclaimer - The misspelling of racist was for Miss Understood.
    Our Queen went to sleep, her people left to weep....in song she lives on.

Long Live the Queen!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by chinky eyes View Post
    You posted the article to say what, black ppl should only buy/support black owned beauty supply stores?

Round these parts (imix) you will be called rayist.

Disclaimer - The misspelling of racist was for Miss Understood.
    to have a debate as to why black women haven't been able to control they own hair care industry

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Capitaine View Post
    to have a debate as to why black women haven't been able to control they own hair care industry
    I see you on that "pro-black talk", it's illegal to do that around here. Stop talking like a raycist.
    Our Queen went to sleep, her people left to weep....in song she lives on.

Long Live the Queen!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by chinky eyes View Post
    I see you on that "pro-black talk", it's illegal to do that around here. Stop talking like a raycist.
    leave me a little time to learn how to talk like wish

Credits
    black women are just doomed ... you know they doomed when you have the police cracking down on them..

hehehehehlololol.

Credits
    good thread. i agree with u. the black owned hair care businesses are only now starting to increase bc of the new obsession with natural hair. i hope it keeps expanding too.

Credits
    poison is still poison now matter where you buy it

Mommy Dearest **Vincy-Soca-Diva**'s Avatar **Vincy-Soca-Diva** is offline
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by iswa View Post
    good thread. i agree with u. the black owned hair care businesses are only now starting to increase bc of the new obsession with natural hair. i hope it keeps expanding too.
    What are really black owned products. Not products that say they are founded by black people but white people own it?

That's the problem. Black people make money and are so quick to sell the product.

So please name some black products.....
    Link me on fassbook http://www.facebook.com/#!/SocaDivaChandelle
    2 Sweet 2 B 4Gotten:)

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by iswa View Post
    how can we dominate an industry if the hair ain't ours....the products that are being created are not made for us, yet they are marketed to us...because we are just mere consumers....

it's like asking why don't alcoholics control the liquor industry
    you ALL AGREE with my opinion, which is why NONE of you ever EFFECTIVELY DISPUTE IT

you ONLY have faith in the WOMEN'S ability to ELEVATE which is why you only FOCUS ON WOMEN...you ALL have long given up on Black men

you just don't have the BALLS to OVERTLY AGREE....rather just do it INDIRECTLY

weak men only can deal with weaker women

in the presence of strength you diminish...

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by NikkiGiovanni View Post
    how can we dominate an industry if the hair ain't ours....the products that are being created are not made for us, yet they are marketed to us...because we are just mere consumers....

it's okay if you don't control the production

but the supply of the product should have been much easy to control giving that the consumer are just are black women like you whith whom you have a lot in common

Credits

"Giving up is hard to do
    When you really love someone
    Giving up .... so hard to do
    When you still depend upon
    Her warm and tender touch
    Her kiss and her hug..........her caress
    Oooooh that used to mean so much
    And bring you happiness"

- Donny Hathaway

Credits
    "Blacks" are not one huge entity. Which groups are you speaking to?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by NikkiGiovanni View Post

Why are you

1) always a negative thinker?

2) always postulating from an extreme point of view?

Why use the word dominate? How about increase share?
    Or what about the market discrimanating towards its own kind?

Credits
    the asians who own it. i dont even have to read the article to know. went down jamaica ave this week every block is black women filling them asian beauty supply stores. i better start make money offa dem loose wallets too yes.
    Last edited by Olokun; 04-26-2011 at 08:31 PM.
    STATUS UPDATE: (6/11/11)
    Nigerians are great people

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast