Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Black fireman served dog food gets 2.7 million

Credits

Exclamation Black fireman served dog food gets 2.7 million

(AP) A black firefighter will be paid $2.7 million to settle claims he suffered racial harassment and discrimination after fellow firefighters served him spaghetti laced with dog food.

The award was the latest in a string of settlements by the Los Angeles City Council of lawsuits alleging harassment, discrimination and hostility within the fire department.

Firefighter Tennie Pierce, 51, said in his suit that firefighter Jorge Arevalo mixed canned dog food purchased by Capt. John Tohill into Pierce's dinner at their station two years ago and another captain, Chris Burton, knew about the trick but didn't say anything.

Pierce "took a large bite, at which time he noticed the other firefighters were laughing and making noises," the lawsuit said. After taking a second bite, he demanded to know what was in the food but no one would speak up.

Pierce said he suffered retaliation for reporting the incident to supervisors and was subjected to "verbal slurs, insults (and) derogatory remarks," including taunting by firefighters "barking like dogs (and) asking him how dog food tasted."

A fire department investigation suggested the October 2004 incident was intended to be a prank to "humble" Pierce after a station volleyball game where he had said, "You guys keep feeding the Big Dog."

The three firefighters were dropped from the lawsuit as part of the settlement. As punishment, the two captains were given one month off without pay, and Arevalo was ordered off work for three days without pay.

Along with the settlement, Pierce will be placed on paid administrative leave until April, when he reaches his 20th anniversary with the department. After that, he will be eligible to collect retirement benefits.

"This ordeal has taken its toll on me and my family," Pierce said in a statement issued by his attorney. "I truly hope that my case will make a difference for African-Americans in the Los Angeles Fire Department."

Pierce's claim was one of several cited in a pair of audits released in January, alleging a pattern of harassment and discrimination against women and minorities working for the department.

Last month, the city awarded $220,000 to a firefighter who said he was sexually harassed by the captain, then retaliated against when he complained. In September, a female firefighter was awarded $320,000 because of her supervisor's persistent sexual advances.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/...n2165303.shtml
    Agitate until we create a stable society that benefits all our people.
    Instigate the nation until we remedy the injustices of society.
    Motivate our people to set a meaningful path for coming generations.
    Educate our people to free our minds and develop our consciousness

Mwongozi Cudjoe (Chedmond Browne)
    Chairman of Free Montserrat United Movement

Credits
    I can't beleive this is happening in this day and age. and its really not a prank when it directed at the minority of the fire station.

Credits
    Sh!t like this doesn't surprise me one bit, not in this country. I wonder how many other things like this goes on everyday.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Preya View Post
    I can't beleive this is happening in this day and age. and its really not a prank when it directed at the minority of the fire station.
    BELIEVE it or NOT, there are IMIXERS who will say that RACISM by the WHITEMAN is ISOLATED, thus not PREVALENT.

Like I have STATED, THE WHITEMAN is just CONTINUING his HISTORICAL RACIST PRACTICE against the ORIGINAL MAN, the BLACKMAN.

The only DIFFERENCE is, it is not being done in an "IN YOUR FACE" style like it was PERPETRATED in the PAST.

They have become more SOPHISTICATED at how they go about SPREADING their NATURAL RACIST practices on the BLACKMAN.

Thanks to the CIVIL RIGHTS movement, the "IN YOUR FACE" practice has been curb considerably.

But that doesn't mean that their FEELINGS towards the BLACKMAN have SIGNIFICANTLY change....they simply ADJUSTED their BEHAVIOR to suit the LEGISLATION that are now on the BOOKS.

Yuh DUN NUH.

Links30
    You know to dislike someoone based on their skin color is just down right disgusting. White people are sick people. You never know. To this day they still dont look at a man that has another skin color as a man. And their racist practice shows it. To me its pretty pathetic. And to act and move as if their so smarter than anyone else is really amazing to the fact that not liking a person based on color and not their character is the dumbest move ever, thats y their all dumbasses.

Credits
    hmm unless there were racial slurs involved i don't really see how it was racially motivated.. the other dude seems to Latino/Hispanic

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneshot View Post
    hmm unless there were racial slurs involved i don't really see how it was racially motivated.. the other dude seems to Latino/Hispanic
    LAWD!!

HELP BLACK PEOPLE yes.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by VINCYPOWA View Post
    LAWD!!

HELP BLACK PEOPLE yes.
    you really think that the article describes the situation in totality?

http://www.johnandkenshow.com/tennie...ted-prankster/

Credits
    Sounds like a regular prank and he called racism. I have seen much worse pranks done among firefighters. So they fed him dogfood. Oh the horror. Is there one instance of racial slurs?

The hypocricy of the people here like VP and Bago when they actually do make obvious claims about how all White people are this or that. So tell me when Black Fraternities do much worse things than this to their pledges, is it racism?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Otorongo View Post
    Sounds like a regular prank and he called racism. I have seen much worse pranks done among firefighters. So they fed him dogfood. Oh the horror. Is there one instance of racial slurs?

The hypocricy of the people here like VP and Bago when they actually do make obvious claims about how all White people are this or that. So tell me when Black Fraternities do much worse things than this to their pledges, is it racism?
    Fire bun Otowrongo the evil Peruvian !

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Tha Fugitive View Post
    Fire bun Otowrongo the evil Peruvian !
    Dream on. There is obviously more to the story. There is no way he won such a thing for racial discrimination (versus harrasment in general) unless he showed a pattern of behavior where he was the only one being targeted with the pranks so as to show race was a factor. Like Oneshot showed:

So go shove your firehose up your arse.

Credits
    LA mayor vetoes harassment settlement

Tue Nov 21, 10:52 AM ET

The mayor has vetoed a $2.7 million settlement the City Council awarded to a black firefighter who said he suffered racial harassment after co-workers served him spaghetti laced with dog food.

Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa said he wanted the council to reconsider its decision in light of photographs recently posted on a Web site showing the firefighter, Tennie Pierce, engaged in hazing pranks.

"Given the magnitude of the recommended settlement, taxpayers have a right to demand a reconsideration with the full benefit of the facts," Villaraigosa said.

"I can't wait to see them in court," said Pierce's attorney, Genie Harrison.

Pierce, 51, sued the Fire Department in 2005 after fellow firefighters mixed dog food into his spaghetti dinner.

Pierce said he suffered retaliation for reporting the incident and verbal slurs, insults and derogatory remarks, including taunting by firefighters "barking like dogs (and) asking him how dog food tasted," the lawsuit said.

Several council members said City Attorney Rocky Delgadillo did not show any photos to them before they voted 11-1 earlier this month to award the largest settlement in Fire Department history.

Delgadillo's spokesman, Nick Velasquez, said his boss made a comprehensive presentation to the City Council and mediator, but wouldn't specify whether Delgadillo shared the photos.

When some photos of Pierce participating in crude firehouse pranks surfaced last week, the city council rejected a motion to reconsider the settlement.

The issue gained momentum, however, when it became the target of a popular radio show, The John and Ken Show, whose hosts criticized the size of the award.

Photos posted on the radio show's Web site depict Pierce roughhousing, pouring what seems to be water on fellow firefighters and smiling as others rubbed gooey, food-like substances on bare-chested men, apparently strapped to chairs.

Several city council members said Monday they expected the council to comply with the mayor's wishes and revisit their decision.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Otorongo View Post
    Dream on. There is obviously more to the story. There is no way he won such a thing for racial discrimination (versus harrasment in general) unless he showed a pattern of behavior where he was the only one being targeted with the pranks so as to show race was a factor. Like Oneshot showed:

So go shove your firehose up your arse.
    I always knew you were one of those DL Wothers in ATL...nasty boy!

sharkie
    gotta agree wit oneshot and oto here. this was not racially motivated, he might have his settlement revoked. which means he might have to go back to work....which is kinda awkward. lol.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkie View Post
    gotta agree wit oneshot and oto here. this was not racially motivated, he might have his settlement revoked. which means he might have to go back to work....which is kinda awkward. lol.
    hopefully you are wrong

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast