Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Black Conscious Imixers, ur thoughs please...

Registered User small_island_descent's Avatar small_island_descent is offline
    Credits

Black Conscious Imixers, ur thoughs please...

So, I was having a discussion with a friend of mine. He's from Guyana but apparently his family has been able to trace back, like some other Guyanese I know, that his ancestors were from Ghana. Now, that's cool and all and I'm happy for him that at least he has a better idea of where his ancestors come from then I do.

The thing is, if u see his dad, his dad associates with NOTHING Guyanese. He goes to Ghanaian functions all the time but never Guyanese ones. He goes to Ghana very often, but never wants to go to Guyana. Even when his family is going to visit relatives, he says he doesn't want to go to Guyana. So I asked my friends why that is and he goes because his dad is all about re-connecting with Ghana.

Now see, I have no problem with that but I was saying "Look, I'd love to re-connect with where my ancestors are from too, but just because I re-connect with my ancestor's land doesn't mean I should throw away the afro-caribbean culture that I, my parents, grandparents, great grandparents,etc... have." I'm the first to say that the culture I was raised with at home is not just a caribbean culture but a culture developed by Africans in the caribbean as a result of their environment. But I could never throw that away even if I re-connected with the culture of my ancestor's land.

Now his argument was that the reason why his dad does not acknowledge his Afro-Guyanese culture is because he sees it as a culture that was developed because those Africans brought to Guyana were robbed of their own. As far as he is concerned, Afro-Guyanese culture is what developed because the slaves had no choice but to develop a new culture since they were separated from their original culture. So the way he sees it, if there was a chance for us, the descendants of those Africans that were enslaved, to re-connect with that culture, we should happily choose to identify with the culture of that African nation, tribe, ethnicity, etc... and drop the afro-caribbean culture our people had to develop.

What are ur thoughts on this ?

And yo, if u are gonna come in the thread with a view opposing his or mine, at least be respectful and bring points, not insults.

Credits
    For me both cultures have/can co-exist peacefully.

Registered User small_island_descent's Avatar small_island_descent is offline
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandele View Post
    Yeah, that's how I see it. I'm not saying he should never associate with Ghanaians. After all, those are his people. But I don't think he should completely reject being Afro-Guyanese either.

Credits
    the two can be married. but then again... it comes down to the age old arguement .. what am i? who do I belong to? what am i seen as?
    Recognize The ORIGIONAL,
    There Can Be Only ONE!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by small_island_descent View Post
    So, I was having a discussion with a friend of mine. He's from Guyana but apparently his family has been able to trace back, like some other Guyanese I know, that his ancestors were from Ghana. Now, that's cool and all and I'm happy for him that at least he has a better idea of where his ancestors come from then I do.

The thing is, if u see his dad, his dad associates with NOTHING Guyanese. He goes to Ghanaian functions all the time but never Guyanese ones. He goes to Ghana very often, but never wants to go to Guyana. Even when his family is going to visit relatives, he says he doesn't want to go to Guyana. So I asked my friends why that is and he goes because his dad is all about re-connecting with Ghana.

Now see, I have no problem with that but I was saying "Look, I'd love to re-connect with where my ancestors are from too, but just because I re-connect with my ancestor's land doesn't mean I should throw away the afro-caribbean culture that I, my parents, grandparents, great grandparents,etc... have." I'm the first to say that the culture I was raised with at home is not just a caribbean culture but a culture developed by Africans in the caribbean as a result of their environment. But I could never throw that away even if I re-connected with the culture of my ancestor's land.

Now his argument was that the reason why his dad does not acknowledge his Afro-Guyanese culture is because he sees it as a culture that was developed because those Africans brought to Guyana were robbed of their own. As far as he is concerned, Afro-Guyanese culture is what developed because the slaves had no choice but to develop a new culture since they were separated from their original culture. So the way he sees it, if there was a chance for us, the descendants of those Africans that were enslaved, to re-connect with that culture, we should happily choose to identify with the culture of that African nation, tribe, ethnicity, etc... and drop the afro-caribbean culture our people had to develop.

What are ur thoughts on this ?

And yo, if u are gonna come in the thread with a view opposing his or mine, at least be respectful and bring points, not insults.
    I am SUPPORTIVE of his FATHER'S VIEWS.

The END.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandele View Post
    i agree. i can liken it to theafro americans over here 'getting back to their roots'

he SHOULD learn to love both of his cultures. too bad that some people are extremists

Credits

Cool

Why does it only have to be black conchus imixers??
    What, us chinese people cyah give we opinion to?

To answer yuh question. It really doh matter. If d reason given for not going to Guyana was because the country to far south ah d equator, oh well.

...concrete jungle where dreams are made of...
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by VINCYPOWA View Post
    I am SUPPORTIVE of his FATHER'S VIEWS.

The END.
    So if you discover which part of Africa your ancestry originates you'll abandon all things Vincy? not starting an argument or anything.

As for the question, both can co-exist. Why shouldn't they?
    "Create the highest, grandest vision possible for your life, because you become what you believe." - Oprah Winfrey

"If you keep believing in yourself and seek enthusiasm inside your soul, things will get simpler, more spontaneous." ~Paulo Coelho

"I find your lack of faith disturbing" - Darth Vader

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit
    the floor each morning the devil says:
    "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Credits
    yeah i wanna know my ancestors too, but would never give u on my gt people dem..

like dey said..too extreme...

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by shandy View Post
    So if you discover which part of Africa your ancestry originates you'll abandon all things Vincy? not starting an argument or anything.

As for the question, both can co-exist. Why shouldn't they?
    If I have to PICK one over the OTHER, then it is, AFRICA here I COME.

Credits
    yuh damn lie like you would ever give up waiving the banner of SVG. besides who else would stick up for KL
    Recognize The ORIGIONAL,
    There Can Be Only ONE!

Brown Milk
    well meh boy, give up on vincy one time cuz Africa is de mother land... done know...

Credits
    But it doesn't have to be one or the other.

I know my great-grandmother is Nigerian, but I'm not going to choose Nigeria over Trinidad and Tobago, both co-exist for me.

while I can't begrudge your decision to go to the extreme, I just see it as a "slap in the face" to our more direct ancestors who had to make a way in the Western Hemisphere and in the process made some wonderful contributions to the world.
    "Create the highest, grandest vision possible for your life, because you become what you believe." - Oprah Winfrey

"If you keep believing in yourself and seek enthusiasm inside your soul, things will get simpler, more spontaneous." ~Paulo Coelho

"Oh Crap, She's up!"

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by DeSocaPrincess View Post
    yuh damn lie like you would ever give up waiving the banner of SVG. besides who else would stick up for KL
    OHHHH YEAAAAHHHHH

"Oh Crap, She's up!"

Credits

REPARTRIATION IS A MUST!
    Marcus Garvey said you would not know yourself till your back is against the wall. It gone through the wall now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast