Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 189
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Black Celebrities Who Say They’re Not African American

  1. #31
    Registered User Lucianite is offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    7,579
    Credits
    82,398,092
    Prison Break star Wentworth Miller came under fire when he was accused of passing for white while a student at Harvard. Wentworth says that he had other reasons for not revelaing that he is half Black, but a lot of Miller’s fans still don’t know that he’s biracial.
    I wonder the reasons

  2. #32
    Registered User TheEducator's Avatar TheEducator is offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The North
    Posts
    3,919
    Credits
    12,206,492
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucianite View Post
    Prison Break star Wentworth Miller came under fire when he was accused of passing for white while a student at Harvard. Wentworth says that he had other reasons for not revelaing that he is half Black, but a lot of Miller’s fans still don’t know that he’s biracial.

    I wonder the reasons

    “To be perfectly clear, passing”—that is, trying to pass oneself off as white, as Silk does—“is something that has never crossed my mind,” Miller, who was brought up in Park Slope, said last week, over breakfast. He speaks with great precision and doesn’t blink very often. “Instead of stepping forward and explaining what I’d meant by the cartoon and positing my own racial background as evidence that I’d really meant no harm, I chose to remain silent. My attitude was, If they don’t get it, I don’t have to explain it, which was my way of saying that if they don’t get me, I don’t have to explain me. The people who knew me on campus and knew my background knew where I was coming from, but I think for most people I was just a name in the paper, and they probably assumed I was white.”
    bktrini305 and dollbabi like this.

  3. #33
    Warrior Queen NikkiGiovanni's Avatar NikkiGiovanni is offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    brooklyn
    Posts
    17,826
    Credits
    78,441,244
    Quote Originally Posted by Taj View Post
    More on the Raven Symone comment:
    That's that #newblack syndrome add Pharrell to the list of people on that list

    I think the new generation as been so acclimated to embracing the person and not having barriers based on race they're disconnected from the historic issues and struggles so when they say stuff like that they don't even get why its like HUH? REALLY?

    In Hollywood its particularly prevalent because of the money and access they have. They seemingly have such a different 'black experience' from what they see on instagram on the news etc its as if they also are spectators on the black race much like whites.

    PS Keyshia Cole does not know who her daddy is so all that biracial etc gtfoh

    exactly...and it's that DISCONNECT, where they are going to end up FAILING themselves....
    people want to disconnect from the historical black experience, because they want so badly to blend into some homogenous society, white people will sell you some colorblind dream because they KNOW AND UNDERSTAND, that that EXONERATES them from being held accountable for history...and a colorblind society ONLY BENEFITS white people...it does not benefit Black people....

    there is POWER in IDENTITY AND CULTURE...because that is the basis of your CONVICTION....so white people are attempting to strip that power away from Black people so we no longer hold them accountable, while we battle out trivial shit like THIS....

    they would NEVER expect Hasidic Jews, Indians, or Asians, to fully assimilate and forfeit the power of their identity...that is only expected of Black people because of the history of wrongdoing against us.... they don't ask Jews to forget the Holocaust, they don't want us to forget 9/11....but they want us to get over slavery, and EVERYTHING that is a byproduct of slavery so that they can be conveniently let off the hook....but then they want to capitalize off the power of white privilege at the same time they try to convince you that there is no such thing....meanwhile, Black people are getting "n*gga wake-up calls" every damn day
    Lucianite likes this.
    you ALL AGREE with my opinion, which is why NONE of you ever EFFECTIVELY DISPUTE IT

    you ONLY have faith in the WOMEN'S ability to ELEVATE which is why you only FOCUS ON WOMEN...you ALL have long given up on Black men

    you just don't have the BALLS to OVERTLY AGREE....rather just do it INDIRECTLY

    weak men only can deal with weaker women

    in the presence of strength you diminish...

  4. #34
    Registered User Lucianite is offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    7,579
    Credits
    82,398,092
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEducator View Post
    “To be perfectly clear, passing”—that is, trying to pass oneself off as white, as Silk does—“is something that has never crossed my mind,” Miller, who was brought up in Park Slope, said last week, over breakfast. He speaks with great precision and doesn’t blink very often. “Instead of stepping forward and explaining what I’d meant by the cartoon and positing my own racial background as evidence that I’d really meant no harm, I chose to remain silent. My attitude was, If they don’t get it, I don’t have to explain it, which was my way of saying that if they don’t get me, I don’t have to explain me. The people who knew me on campus and knew my background knew where I was coming from, but I think for most people I was just a name in the paper, and they probably assumed I was white.”
    Ok Makes me want to see cartoon.....

  5. #35
    Registered User Lucianite is offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    7,579
    Credits
    82,398,092
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEducator View Post
    How ################ing pathetic are African-
    She is not African-American. Her mother is from Puerto Rico and her father is Dominican. She has said numerous times that she is Afro-Latina.


    This topic does really phick u up
    U start blowing steam from everywhere
    LIONESS onda RISE and mz_JazE like this.

  6. #36
    Registered User Poca's Avatar Poca is offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    home
    Posts
    4,202
    Credits
    87,553,099
    So this whole thing about being mixed and not viewed as such only bothers you when they identify as black.


    Quote Originally Posted by TheEducator View Post
    People pass as black all the time. I have no issue with people wanting to pass as white.

  7. #37
    Warrior Queen NikkiGiovanni's Avatar NikkiGiovanni is offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    brooklyn
    Posts
    17,826
    Credits
    78,441,244
    Quote Originally Posted by Poca View Post
    So this whole thing about being mixed and not viewed as such only bothers you when they identify as black.

    he praying to the Gods for a Get Out of Blackness Free card
    you ALL AGREE with my opinion, which is why NONE of you ever EFFECTIVELY DISPUTE IT

    you ONLY have faith in the WOMEN'S ability to ELEVATE which is why you only FOCUS ON WOMEN...you ALL have long given up on Black men

    you just don't have the BALLS to OVERTLY AGREE....rather just do it INDIRECTLY

    weak men only can deal with weaker women

    in the presence of strength you diminish...

  8. #38
    ah like chupidness limintrinibwoy's Avatar limintrinibwoy is offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    In meh skin
    Posts
    16,220
    Credits
    4,027,977
    what is a african american?.......
    Colors and dollbabi like this.

  9. #39
    Registered User Poca's Avatar Poca is offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    home
    Posts
    4,202
    Credits
    87,553,099
    same concept as Italian-American?



    Quote Originally Posted by limintrinibwoy View Post
    what is a african american?.......
    Chen ki japé pa mňde!

  10. #40
    Registered User bktrini305's Avatar bktrini305 is offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    1,901
    Credits
    40,919,598
    Quote Originally Posted by Poca View Post
    same concept as Italian-American?
    So a whole continent can be reduced to a peninsula in terms of significance?
    This can't be the end.
    I'll see you again.
    Carnival Prayer

  11. #41
    Registered User Poca's Avatar Poca is offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    home
    Posts
    4,202
    Credits
    87,553,099
    Would it please you more if people say: West-African-American?

    It's not a secret that most slaves descendants have no idea of which exact ethnic group in Africa their ancestors were from. If it was a known fact, you can bet it would have been used. Just like Italian-American and so on...


    Quote Originally Posted by bktrini305 View Post
    So a whole continent can be reduced to a peninsula in terms of significance?
    mz_JazE likes this.
    Chen ki japé pa mňde!

  12. #42
    Warrior Queen NikkiGiovanni's Avatar NikkiGiovanni is offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    brooklyn
    Posts
    17,826
    Credits
    78,441,244
    Quote Originally Posted by Poca View Post
    same concept as Italian-American?
    willful ignorance....

    they just want to play dumb....

    kmt it's sickening
    you ALL AGREE with my opinion, which is why NONE of you ever EFFECTIVELY DISPUTE IT

    you ONLY have faith in the WOMEN'S ability to ELEVATE which is why you only FOCUS ON WOMEN...you ALL have long given up on Black men

    you just don't have the BALLS to OVERTLY AGREE....rather just do it INDIRECTLY

    weak men only can deal with weaker women

    in the presence of strength you diminish...

  13. #43
    STEADY WUK Colors's Avatar Colors is offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    DEEP IN THE SOUTH
    Posts
    3,581
    Credits
    75,602,066

  14. #44
    Girl Crush Mrs. Campbell's Avatar Mrs. Campbell is offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Here...
    Posts
    28,678
    Credits
    331,752,124
    Quote Originally Posted by NikkiGiovanni View Post
    willful ignorance....
    they just want to play dumb....

    kmt it's sickening
    Extremely annoying.

  15. #45
    Registered User bktrini305's Avatar bktrini305 is offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    1,901
    Credits
    40,919,598
    Quote Originally Posted by Poca View Post
    Would it please you more if people say: West-African-American?

    It's not a secret that most slaves descendants have no idea of which exact ethnic group in Africa their ancestors were from. If it was a known fact, you can bet it would have been used. Just like Italian-American and so on...
    no. it wouldn't. Nigerian American. Ghanaian American, etc would but as you say, that's not known. My point is that I don't think his question was rhetorical or literary and you obviously did. A definition for purpose of discussion was being asked for.

    And it's also not the SAME concept as an Italian American. Even in England where there are more actual african immigrants as a percentage, a lot of Africans just say "I'm African" rather than call out their country.

    For me, the word is black. Because African American SHOULD apply to an Egyptian Arab. The fact that it doesn't is a function of the population's ignorance of the Continent.
    This can't be the end.
    I'll see you again.
    Carnival Prayer

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •