Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Black Celebrities Who Say They’re Not African American

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by dollbabi View Post
    Now this is more strange than her initial statements that people found problematic. Guess she prefers color labels. She mentions Asians, Indians...but the term African is not acceptable, at least for her. She connects to black, not African. Yet she says she is a colorless person. She's tired of labels but claims black and labels others. It doesn't make sense to me but hey, guess it works for her.
    thank you the cliff notes :)

I did not get too deep the original thread or her explanation but I was like WTF - thought it was me .....

Taj
    Credits
    oh HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLSSSSSSS no

Quote Originally Posted by NikkiGiovanni View Post
    one guy cut a latex glove....stretched it out and was blowing into it, while another guy put empty paper towel rolls in his cello, as he flicked the strings and used his bow.....another guy put soda cans in his horn as he played them....one flicked a broken plastic hanger.. all kinds of crazy shit...

they called themselves a band, and they called that shit music...meanwhile it sounded like suicide and mental illness sonically manifested

Taj
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucianite View Post
    Princeton Alumni Weekly: The Rules

Smh - him thinking his education and status would shield him

Lawrence Otis Graham ’83

I knew the day would come, but I didn’t know how it would happen, where I would be, or how I would respond. It is the moment that every black parent fears: the day their child is called a ########################.

My wife and I, both African-Americans, constitute one of those Type A couples with Ivy League undergraduate and graduate degrees, who, for many years, believed that if we worked hard and maintained great jobs, we could insulate our children from the blatant manifestations of bigotry that we experienced as children in the 1960s and ’70s. We divided our lives between a house in a liberal New York suburb and an apartment on Park Avenue, sent our three kids to a diverse New York City private school, and outfitted them with the accoutrements of success: preppy clothes, perfect diction, and that air of quiet graciousness. We convinced ourselves that the economic privilege we bestowed on them could buffer these adolescents against what so many black and Latino children face while living in mostly white settings: being profiled by neighbors, followed in stores, and stopped by police simply because their race makes them suspect.
    #newblack
    “A sharp knife never proclaims it’s sharpness to the world…but the first to fall against it becomes it’s advocate.”

You can put any face behind a mask but be careful cos someone else might be pretending. You might not be the only one with a secret -- Cassie/Gretel

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by LIONESS onda RISE View Post
    i would have....but i just couldnt!
    LOL

to read or not read is the question LOL

I like the Map tho

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by NikkiGiovanni View Post
    one guy cut a latex glove....stretched it out and was blowing into it, while another guy put empty paper towel rolls in his cello, as he flicked the strings and used his bow.....another guy put soda cans in his horn as he played them....one flicked a broken plastic hanger.. all kinds of crazy shit...

they called themselves a band, and they called that shit music...meanwhile it sounded like suicide and mental illness sonically manifested
    BOL! I can just imagine the "dafuq is this shit?" look on your face.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by CaribKaraoke View Post
    nah...keep it going...this is fun...the main point is: National pride is lacking...cuz there's no nation to be proud of
    when an AA or any type of American travels abroad, they are seen as American first ? So, If you were living in TNT, you would be seen as Black Trini by visitor or immigrants. Secondly, how is it that you as a Trini is claiming Ghana when The ashanti tribe went to JA, Belize, Suriname, Bahamas, etc ? AA ancestry is mostly from Angola, Nigeria, Cameroon etc. This is why the Kente cloth fell out of favor in the US, because they were mocked in the media for claiming a tribe and country where most AA ancestors did not originate from.
    mz_JazE likes this.
    The enemy of my enemy is my friend- Arabic proverb

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Missmayling View Post
    when an AA or any type of American travels abroad, they are seen as American first ? So, If you were living in TNT, you would be seen as Black Trini by visitor or immigrants. Secondly, how is it that you as a Trini is claiming Ghana when The ashanti tribe went to JA, Belize, Suriname, Bahamas, etc ? AA ancestry is mostly from Angola, Nigeria, Cameroon etc. This is why the Kente cloth fell out of favor in the US, because they were mocked in the media for claiming a tribe and country where most AA ancestors did not originate from.
    Traveling abroad is a different story. AA's living in America don't seem to have a pride in America. Trini's living in Trinidad sure do have a lot of pride in Trinidad.

when did I claim ghana? My point was...i have a nation to claim.
    African American's don't...because the term claims a continent that is not a nation + a country that they feel no pride in to claim.
    http://www.CaribKaraoke.com

Credits
    Traveling abroad is a different story. AA's living in America don't seem to have a pride in America. Trini's living in Trinidad sure do have a lot of pride in Trinidad.

when did I claim ghana? My point was...i have a nation to claim.
    African American's don't...because the term claims a continent that is not a nation + a country that they feel no pride in to claim.
    You seem to think all it takes is waving a flag and cockin back going down Fredrick Street is the fix all. Are you aware of the overall condition of the Afro Trini in Trinidad?
    Our Queen went to sleep, her people left to weep....in song she lives on.

Long Live the Queen!

Credits

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Campbell View Post
    You seem to think all it takes is waving a flag and cockin back going down Fredrick Street is the fix all. Are you aware of the overall condition of the Afro Trini in Trinidad?
    Why did you jump to that conclusion?

Credits
    Why did you jump to that conclusion?
    Because that is the position you've presented in this thread. Are you implying you're being misrepresented?

Long Live the Queen!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Campbell View Post
    Because that is the position you've presented in this thread. Are you implying you're being misrepresented?
    My position is not: " all it takes is waving a flag and cockin back going down Fredrick Street".

I don't see how I presented that position in this thread

Credits
    My position is not: " all it takes is waving a flag and cockin back going down Fredrick Street".

I don't see how I presented that position in this thread
    My response is not to be taken literally. But more so the silliness in your position of descendants of mostly west Africans should just pick a country they like and go from there.
    mz_JazE likes this.

Long Live the Queen!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucianite View Post
    Princeton Alumni Weekly: The Rules

Smh - him thinking his education and status would shield him

Lawrence Otis Graham ’83

I knew the day would come, but I didn’t know how it would happen, where I would be, or how I would respond. It is the moment that every black parent fears: the day their child is called a ########################.

My wife and I, both African-Americans, constitute one of those Type A couples with Ivy League undergraduate and graduate degrees, who, for many years, believed that if we worked hard and maintained great jobs, we could insulate our children from the blatant manifestations of bigotry that we experienced as children in the 1960s and ’70s. We divided our lives between a house in a liberal New York suburb and an apartment on Park Avenue, sent our three kids to a diverse New York City private school, and outfitted them with the accoutrements of success: preppy clothes, perfect diction, and that air of quiet graciousness. We convinced ourselves that the economic privilege we bestowed on them could buffer these adolescents against what so many black and Latino children face while living in mostly white settings: being profiled by neighbors, followed in stores, and stopped by police simply because their race makes them suspect.
    lol....somehow, he allowed himself to feed into the thought that he was somehow black-ish...and got corrected.
    BELLY FULL BUT DEM STARVIN'

Credits
    nah...keep it going...this is fun...the main point is: National pride is lacking...cuz there's no nation to be proud of
    Really? Try the nation that they and their ancestors literally built. You have all of this drivel in your post about if you were AA when the reality is that you are not. You can only speculate about how you would feel.

Perhaps national pride means different things to different people. You seem to miss that within the African continent, there are people who have more ethnic/cultural pride than pride in nations that resulted from the intrusion of outsiders. No one is saying that there is not some truth to your statements, but they are limited in perspective. Perhaps some people would like ties to an African nation while others are comfortable with their ties right here in the U.S.

Anyway, it seems as though "African-American" represents that many different African ethnicities (40-50) that were united through the American experience down through the generations. So if some prefer it, fine. If some prefer black, fine. If some research their heritage and identify with their African origins, fine.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast