Thread: Beware of men in T&T

Dragon

Beware of men in T&T

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/2002-06-06/expresswoman/jowelle1.jpg
    http://www.trinidadexpress.com/2002-06-06/expresswoman/jowelle2.jpg

She creates a stir wherever she goes. Men crane their necks to get a good look at her shapely figure while women gaze with envy.
    She has statuesque looks, which draw praise, and she’s blessed with a flawless face and almost porcelain-like skin. She has generous hips and a pair of the sexiest legs around.
    Physically, she is every inch the femme fatale. Only her voice betrays her.
    So who’s this woman? She’s Jowelle Taylor De Souza and she was born a man. Sex reassignment surgery changed her life.
    Growing up, Jowelle said she felt like a girl. She has never had acne or even chest hairs.
    “At the age of ten I felt the difference,” she said, “and I was lucky to have a family which supported me throughout my change.”
    It was the support, she said, which gave her the encouragement to go ahead with the operation.
    Adjusting to life as a woman was not difficult.
    “I went through a phase where I had to be perfect. The public doesn’t accept anything else but perfect. If you don’t look like a perfect woman then you fall short. It’s okay if you are a woman. But if you are not and you become one you have to be perfect.”
    “Quite frankly,” she confesses, “I don’t give a s..t what people think. I work very hard for what I have and to be where I am and I believe it is a minority of people who are small minded and who are uneducated. I don’t go where there are ignorant people and if I do attend a function it has to be in places where there are people of stability, open-minded and people who have better things to do than be prejudiced and ignorant.”
    She is said to be the first person to undergo sex reassignment surgery in Trinidad. This was in 1993.
    Jowelle, who was christened Joel 29 years ago, now only answers when addressed as a female. As Jowelle she believes she has set a precedent in Trinidad for other transsexuals to come out of the closet.
    She is the first transsexual to sue the government for sexual harassment, winning more than $30,000.
    That was in 1997 when several policemen who insisted on doing a body search unlawfully detained her. It was only upon the intervention of a woman police officer did they stop. She won the case, which made international news last year.
    She gave the money to charity.
    “That money did not come about a good way so I did not want to keep it.”
    Since then she has been through a broken engagement to a local doctor, which ended because she did not want to migrate.
    She has seen her hairdressing salon thrive on Mon Chagrin Street, San Fernando. It attracts an elite clientele, including Education Minister Hazel Manning and former attorney general Ramesh Lawrence Maharaj and his wife Lynette.
    Life began for Jowelle when she was 19—she refuses to discuss anything prior to the operation. She has not even kept a photograph of what she looked like as a male.
    “I went through a lot of insecurity and agony during that part of my life and it took me a long time to be strong.”
    After she underwent the sex change operation, which she said involved inversion of the penis; she worked with a psychiatrist for two years.
    “What they do is teach you how to dress, how to choose your clothes and shoes and encourage you to be what you want to be.”
    Her breasts, she says, developed naturally after she had estrogen treatments over the two-year period.
    “Everyone would always ask if they are silicone. If I had to get breasts I would have got them bigger,” Jowelle laughs.
    She has had several relationships with men.
    As for sex?
    It has been great, Jowelle says. Her advice to any woman who is having problems with her sex life is to wait and “find the right man.”
    She broke off her engagement to the doctor, whose name she would not disclose, early last year.
    “He wanted to migrate. I did not. I love Trinidad and Tobago. I am in a good relationship for over a year now with a really great guy who is very gentle but he can be mean at times. He is quite a man. He knows how to handle a situation and that’s very important to me.”
    Being a woman has given Jowelle independence.
    “Being independent I have achieved stability and achieved that essence of being a woman. You find that continuing to keep up with society and how you look is very important, especially what you portray.
    “I believe women are so beautiful, and they should show this beauty in any which way they can to ensure they keep up with the times, whether it comes with cosmetic surgery or whether it comes with make-up or clothes, a woman must always look good and always put herself first.”
    Her advice to women in relationships is never give 100 per cent.
    “If you do so then there is no challenge. Women who are in marriages and have children should continue to put themselves first.”
    She is all for the Equal Opportunity Act.
    She said she has been trying to talk with different political parties about different aspects of the Act pertaining to insurance, equality and treatment of any kind of women whether they be women who were raped, gay, divorced or single parents.
    Gay people, she feels, should have a fair chance in Trinidad and Tobago.
    Jowelle has not allowed her success as a hairdresser to go to her head.
    “When a woman comes to a hairdresser, most of the times they are depressed or have gone through divorce and want to recapture their life and most of the time it is therapy. A hairdresser and a client have a bond and it is so important that they can help and assist, just like a therapist. You boost their confidence especially when you do a good job.”
    The interview was interrupted several times as she went to cut a client’s hair or answer the phone. Even though Jowelle has a posh salon with several assistants she is the only one who cuts hair.
    “Clients pay me to come and cut their hair,” she said, “As for answering the phone, I like to have that personal interaction with my clients.”
    Jowelle knows a lot about the history of her clients and even though she takes less than five minutes to do a haircut, she enquires about their children and their jobs. She hopes to have a salon in Port of Spain by next month, which she will open on a Sunday.
    She said the greatest problem women face is abuse by men—mentally and physically.
    “Today we are in 2002 and women still allow this physical and mental abuse. We need more education in that area.”
    She has seen many cases where women have refused to end a relationship even though they were being made to suffer.
    “Women have more important roles to play in society than just being mothers. I think the women in Trinidad and Tobago are so brilliant and women in power show great gentleness,” she said, “I can’t wait for women to reach this point where we have a female prime minister or the United States have their first female president who I believe will be Hillary Clinton.”
    Of herself, Jowelle says her next venture could very well be politics.
    “I want to get into that arena and do more for people who are different. I am prepared to take on that. I want to make our presence felt. I have reached where I want to reach now. I want to help other people.”

Credits

RE: Beware of men in T&T

Lord have his mercy... de compeition in Trinidad real stiff..

MIAMI MEET AND GREET
    JUNE 8TH 2002
    CAFE MED OF SOUTH BEACH,
    6:30 PM UNTIL
    DRINK SPECIALS ALL NIGHT LONG

Credits

....if u meet a woman and all she telling you is to give she it in she bottom ....becareful!!!...hehehehe!

Credits

:):):)
    Hey..she could just be a freak.....:P
    “Don't ever settle for less than your heart's desire!”

poca-old

i don't want to offend anyone but i am pretty sure that if she was black women who had undergo such a surgery in TnT she wouldn't be as successful, people would not accept her as easy. but my good point is that it is the proof that trinidad as good specialized docters....

"Many islands, One Caribbean"

Credits

RE: Carribean Ghost stories

2SWEET4U

POCA WHY YOU DONT GO BACK TO SCHOOL

NOW I SEE WHY MEN DONT TAKE WE SERIOUS
    A BIG GIRL LIKE YOU CANT SPELL DOCTORS