Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bet’s ‘college Hill’ – A Hot Island Mess

Credits

Bet’s ‘college Hill’ – A Hot Island Mess

UVI alumni and parents appalled with behavior of cast this season.

*The current fourth season of BET’s reality series “College Hill” has seen more viewers than any of the previous runs, but it is also the most controversial.

Set at the University of the Virgin Islands, the eight students – four from VI, four from California – behaved no differently than their reality show counterparts on MTV’s “Real World” or “Real World/Road Rules Challenge.” There were lots of drinking, sex and anger management issues among the castmates. But unlike BET’s series, MTV’s debauchery doesn’t take place at an institution of higher learning.

“Alumni and parents sent e-mails and called the university; and radio shows aired discontent over the way the students portrayed themselves,” wrote UVI junior Aslin Leger in the UVI Voice newspaper. “Members of the university's Board of Trustees expressed their outrage over the cast members' behavior and distanced themselves from the decision to allow the show to be filmed at UVI.”

Board members weren’t notified about the show coming to UVI until a March 17 trustee meeting, which took place after President Laverne Ragster signed the contract.

"I was absolutely horrified by the program," UVI board member Wesley Williams Jr. told the Daily News. “A public university has a role to educate the public as much as its students and not highlight modern society's base instincts.”

Angry viewers called on Ragster to apologize to both the university and Virgin Islands communities. Her mea culpa eventually came in the form of full-page ads in both the Virgin Islands Daily News and the St. Croix Avis, Leger reports. However, Ragster also wrote a newspaper column expressing positive outcomes from the experience.

"There's no denying that 'College Hill 4,' to some extent, speaks the truth," Ragster wrote. "The drinking, the sex, the serious anger management issues. All this and more are common among today's college students, and we at UVI believe a 'mirror' function is at work as our UVI students see their classmates behaving badly. It's all to the good when they experience a way to see themselves and make some positive changes as a result. The show also provides an opportunity to see how the institution assists students to face and surmount personal development challenges."

More than 1.6 million viewers tuned in to the season premiere of "College Hill 4," which featured VI natives Idesha Browne, Devon Luis, Andres St. Kitts and Vanessa Hamilton; and Cali reps Fallon Favors, Krystal Lee, Ja-ron “J.T.” Thompson and Willie McMiller. Last week’s episode dealt with the removal of Vanessa from the show after she initiated a bloody brawl with Krystal [See footage below.].

Ragster has since taken steps to prevent other universities from being presented in a similar manner. In conjunction with presidents from previous universities where "College Hill" was set – JoAnn Haysbert of Langston University and Eddie N. Moore Jr. of Virginia State University – Ragster hopes to meet with executives from BET’s owner Viacom to discuss how African Americans are portrayed in the media.

"As a social worker, counselor and someone who attended this university, it’s like the university was our mother and we allowed someone to come in and violate our children," Winifred Anthony-Todman, UVI Upward Bound coordinator, told the V.I. Source. "This was done without having the decency within which to prepare" the staff and students, she said.

Smarty Skirt Antigua Me Come Fram's Avatar Antigua Me Come Fram is offline
    Credits
    SMH Ah told dem so.

Credits
    i really can't understand how this show put a negative light on UVI...these are issues that pop up everyday on college campuses all over the country and the world, so why should the UVI president be blamed for the actions of some of her students?

Smarty Skirt Antigua Me Come Fram's Avatar Antigua Me Come Fram is offline
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by cOcKbAcKnRoLL View Post
    i really can't understand how this show put a negative light on UVI...these are issues that pop up everyday on college campuses all over the country and the world, so why should the UVI president be blamed for the actions of some of her students?
    Yes these things happen all the time but this show is designed to highlight the negative i.e. drama more than anything else. The university should not have associated itself with something like this knowing BET's track record. So now it's damage control time especially since the university looks to its alumni and other benefactors every year for donations. Furthermore the president made the decision on her own without consulting the board.

Sweetness4life Mrs. Yankee Doodle's Avatar Mrs. Yankee Doodle is offline
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Antigua Me Come Fram View Post
    Yes these things happen all the time but this show is designed to highlight the negative i.e. drama more than anything else. The university should not have associated itself with something like this knowing BET's track record. So now it's damage control time especially since the university looks to its alumni and other benefactors every year for donations. Furthermore the president made the decision on her own without consulting the board.
    EXACTLY!

Taj
    Credits
    SMH Ah told dem so.
    lol i was now coming to call your name

yea u did

maybe they will change the concept of the show now ie the intern show instead of college hill
    “A sharp knife never proclaims it’s sharpness to the world…but the first to fall against it becomes it’s advocate.”

You can put any face behind a mask but be careful cos someone else might be pretending. You might not be the only one with a secret -- Cassie/Gretel

Credits
    President will be looking for a job soon...
    Our Queen went to sleep, her people left to weep....in song she lives on.

Long Live the Queen!

Credits
    like i always said..although these things happen the producers had a responsibility to project a more positive show and not let the fighting continue...

instead they did it all for ratings....

Credits
    time to resign

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBloopers View Post
    like i always said..although these things happen the producers had a responsibility to project a more positive show and not let the fighting continue...

instead they did it all for ratings....
    the only responsibility the producers had was to try to get ratings as high as possible.

Credits
    oh okay, that I can understand...but I also feel they should ask BET for an apology since they are the ones who edit the show to suit the audience...

Quote Originally Posted by direct_effect View Post
    the only responsibility the producers had was to try to get ratings as high as possible.
    and this, unfortunately, is the way it works with tv...when u sign up for something like this, it is out of your control as soon as the filming begins...

Credits
    *steups*

Anybody really watch this Off-brand show anyways? I mean other than the 5 people here on imix

Langston U, UVI et al are all schools dying tuh get they name mentioned somewhere somehow. UVI cyah hurt as a result of this because most people like me wouldn't bother attending there anyways, and people who are there probably there for good reason, so attendance eh go suffer.

Alumns up in arms like is Harvard rep getting sullied or sumting

"Oh no...not UVI!"

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Bake n Shark View Post
    *steups*

Anybody really watch this Off-brand show anyways? I mean other than the 5 people here on imix

Langston U, UVI et al are all schools dying tuh get they name mentioned somewhere somehow. UVI cyah hurt as a result of this because most people like me wouldn't bother attending there anyways, and people who are there probably there for good reason, so attendance eh go suffer.

Alumns up in arms like is Harvard rep getting sullied or sumting

"Oh no...not UVI!"
    You making fun of our school sir?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Tha Fugitive View Post
    You making fun of our school sir?
    lmao...from de time I see yuh name I know what yuh was coming wid

People finally know de VI have it own University and allyuh vex...writing letter and thing tuh de poor president

Chirren who dey probably going dey cuz they cyah go nowhere else fuh one reason or de other...so de school eh go suffer fuh students anyhow

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Bake n Shark View Post
    lmao...from de time I see yuh name I know what yuh was coming wid

People finally know de VI have it own University and allyuh vex...writing letter and thing tuh de poor president

Chirren who dey probably going dey cuz they cyah go nowhere else fuh one reason or de other...so de school eh go suffer fuh students anyhow
    I only post that joking though.....but UVI been around since 1962...yes the same people that don't know that Trinidad is not located in Jamaica

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast