Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Best N.B.A. Defender of all time?

Credits

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DSP View Post
    Since everybody's chiming in with the standouts, you can't have a defensive discussion without Dikembe Mutombo and Alonzo Mourning.
    And of course their predecessor, and teacher, Patrick Ewing.
    DSP likes this.

Credits
    lets just go down the line a mentioned everyone who ever played the game, come on. In all my years watching basketball, i never say any playing completely change the out come a game on the defensive end like Scottie Pippen.

Ask Mark Jackson, Karl Marlone and Magic Johnson, just to name a few.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by DSP View Post
    Since everybody's chiming in with the standouts, you can't have a defensive discussion without Dikembe Mutombo and Alonzo Mourning.
    If Mutumbo was more mobile he'd be the GOAT defender. He really impacted games defensively. I remember he was like a fortress vs. Seattle in '94. I think he blocked 31 shots over those 5 games and altered countless others.

Mourning meh. He put forth a lot of effort, but he'd get into a lot of foul trouble trying to swat everything. He was too overemotional as well. I'll never forget how Rodman completely threw him off his game in the '97 playoffs....arguably the greatest mental ownage I've ever seen of someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Collie4Nyah View Post
    Jordan was quite the defender too.
    But often his defensive game was overlooked because of his offensive ability.

Charles Oakley is another name that comes to mind, even if his name is more likely to be named in the "grimeyest" discussion...
    Jordan's 'D swayed, sometimes you needed to motivate him to really "lock down" a guy. Otherwise, yeah he was getting a lot of highlight reel steals/blocks but sometimes he'd get burned too going for those plays. Of course with Pip's emergence he had some nights he could have off defensively when facing stars. But I think there were more sound defensive off guards than he, not saying better.

Oakley....he was a byproduct of the way the game was played in that era. He'd suffer in today's game by not being able to foul the heck outta everyone lol.
    "I will forewarn you......fear ye him when thou hast died hath power to cast into hell" - Charles Lawson

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by bhalistix View Post
    lets just go down the line a mentioned everyone who ever played the game, come on. In all my years watching basketball, i never say any playing completely change the out come a game on the defensive end like Scottie Pippen.

Ask Mark Jackson, Karl Marlone and Magic Johnson, just to name a few.
    No way Pip was more influential than Dream.

LOL.....Pip? The same guy XMan punked in the '92 playoffs? I never seen a superstar so shook and bullied by a non superstar in my life.

Pippen had a soft rep for a lot of his career.
    "I will forewarn you......fear ye him when thou hast died hath power to cast into hell" - Charles Lawson

Credits
    When you all talk about defense, you have to factor in things that GP wasn't capable of doing...LIKE LEADING A TEAM TO BEING A FORMIDABLE DEFENSIVE OPPONENT.

Olajuwon, Pippen, Garnett, and Rodman all led their team. They'd call out the defense and orchestrate their team based on what the offense is doing.

Mutombo didn't do that. GP didn't do that. All of the above also were great in all facets of defense...which include steals and rebounding. All took charges. All weren't stupid to block shots out of bounds all the time for the highlight reel, but kept the ball in play for the most part.

Oh yeah...add Duncan to the list as well.
    http://www.CaribKaraoke.com

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by DerMonger View Post

LOL.....Pip? The same guy XMan punked in the '92 playoffs? I never seen a superstar so shook and bullied by a non superstar in my life.

Did you play hoops?
    you always mentioning your height....lol

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by DerMonger View Post

you must be a KNICK fan to type that sh!t. The KNICKS never own the bulls NO WHERE, NEVER IN THEIR EXISTENCE. The KNICK simply put on a cheap imitation of the BAD BOYS...

LOL KNICKS fans like to forget allen HOUSTON

Credits

Lightbulb

Off the top of my head my all-defense teams would be (based more on my favorites mind you):

1st team
    G- Gary Payton (Best Ever)
    G - Michael Jordan (maybe not always motivated on the defensive end, but a BEAST when he was)
    F - Michael Cooper (8 nba all defensive teams)
    F - Kevin Garnett (9 nba all defensive teams)
    C - Hakeem Olajuwon ( Also the best ever lol)

2nd Team
    G - John Stockton (Grimey as fuk on the offensive end but is the nba steals leader)
    G - Kobe Bryant (just cause Im a Lakers fan, NOT a big Kobe fan)
    F - Scottie Pippen (same expl. as Jordan more or less)
    F - Alonzo Mourning (too bad his career was cut short)
    C - Dikembe Mutumbo (an underachiever, but still a force to be reckoned with)

Credits
    PIPEN?!!! Doh make me fockin choke, allyuh mad awah?!! Steups! Pipen was so fockin overrated is ah shame. He shined because of Jordan. Once he had to be the man on his own what happened?

Defensively he was 2nd team alltime maybe but certainly not first!
    Space available for RENT

Credits
    what about Manute Bol nuhbady rate he?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Montana View Post
    PIPEN?!!! Doh make me fockin choke, allyuh mad awah?!! Steups! Pipen was so fockin overrated is ah shame. He shined because of Jordan. Once he had to be the man on his own what happened?

Defensively he was 2nd team alltime maybe but certainly not first!
    i guess winning 2 games less than what you team did the previous year, all while leading your team in every statistical category doesn't count for much in ur books huh.

Credits
    i guess winning 2 games less than what you team did the previous year, all while leading your team in every statistical category doesn't count for much in ur books huh.
    Dude the framework was already there. Talk about Portland and Houston with Pipen and then lets hear about his "greatness"
    Space available for RENT

Credits
    you must be a KNICK fan to type that sh!t. The KNICKS never own the bulls NO WHERE, NEVER IN THEIR EXISTENCE. The KNICK simply put on a cheap imitation of the BAD BOYS...
    Whether the Bulls owned the Knicks or not is irrelevant. I'm a Houston fan btw. You must be a biased Bulls fan from that era to argue otherwise.

Pippen had a rightly earned rep for being softie much of his career. (Thd migraine game). You could be physical with him and he'd shy away....which is what Xavier McDaniels did to him at both ends of the floor in the '92 playoffs. Xman bossed him.

LOL I remember MJ stepping in and taking a T when Softie was getting an earful from Xman. Dude was shook.

Credits
    XMan WAS a beast, another underachiever though

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Montana View Post
    Dude the framework was already there. Talk about Portland and Houston with Pipen and then lets hear about his "greatness"

FRAME WORK???? FRAME WORK????
    Dude not to derail the thread but are you serious????. YOU remove the greatest PLAYER ever in the history of basketball (some may argue) from a TEAM and replace him with PETE MYERS and you talk about the FRAMEWORK was in place??? this is comical at best.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast