Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bermuda is richer than USA...

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Wahleed Mahmood View Post
    Trinidad is the 41st richest in the world according to the International Monetary Fund
    and the 28th richest according to the world bank.
    Like I said, if it's not about Trinidad being the best they aint interested. What should interest him is that a Majority Black country runs in the rankings as being one of the wealthiest in the world, with no natural (Tangible)(Oil, Metals, Exports) resourses, if he/she was smart they would ask HOW is that possible, I'd be happy to educate him.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by mixitup View Post
    Like I said, if it's not about Trinidad being the best they aint interested. What should interest him is that a Majority Black country runs in the rankings as being one of the wealthiest in the world, with no natural (Tangible)(Oil, Metals, Exports) resourses, if he/she was smart they would ask HOW is that possible, I'd be happy to educate him.
    I would really like to know more about this..sounds very interesting. A majority Black country doing so well.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Man of Mystery View Post
    I would really like to know more about this..sounds very interesting. A majority Black country doing so well.
    Since we had no natural resourses except Beaches, Beauty bla bla bla...we decided in the 60's 70's to alter our Tax codes to make it attractive for companies to set up shop in Bermuda. In other words, no income tax, no capital gains tax etc. We focused on Insurance. Fast forward to today, Bermuda is the Insurance Capital of the world, and I don't mean state farm or progressive, I'm talking about companies that Insure them. These company assest are in the hundreds of billions. If you didn't know, the after events of 9/11 was paid for (The Buildings that fell, The Planes, the Peoples lives etc) by Bermuda companies, also Hurricane Katrina to the tune of close to $70 Billion dollars. The Government here charges these companies (That number in the thousands) a Payroll Tax per employee and set up fees etc. also 60% of our Goverments revenues come from import duties. For example, if you want a BMW here, sure you can have it, a Bmw 3 series in the US costs u $35,000? here it'll costs you $75,000 with the $40,000 going to government. The govenment here invest heavy in the infastructure (and people) of the Island. If you ever come here you would be hard pressed to find any pot holes, no litter, no grafitti, little crime, great education system you will also see many well to do black folks who own Million dollar homes and travel the world.

Gladiator
    Since we had no natural resourses except Beaches, Beauty bla bla bla...we decided in the 60's 70's to alter our Tax codes to make it attractive for companies to set up shop in Bermuda. In other words, no income tax, no capital gains tax etc. We focused on Insurance. Fast forward to today, Bermuda is the Insurance Capital of the world, and I don't mean state farm or progressive, I'm talking about companies that Insure them. These company assest are in the hundreds of billions. If you didn't know, the after events of 9/11 was paid for (The Buildings that fell, The Planes, the Peoples lives etc) by Bermuda companies, also Hurricane Katrina to the tune of close to $70 Billion dollars. The Government here charges these companies (That number in the thousands) a Payroll Tax per employee and set up fees etc. also 60% of our Goverments revenues come from import duties. For example, if you want a BMW here, sure you can have it, a Bmw 3 series in the US costs u $35,000? here it'll costs you $75,000 with the $40,000 going to government. The govenment here invest heavy in the infastructure (and people) of the Island. If you ever come here you would be hard pressed to find any pot holes, no litter, no grafitti, little crime, great education system you will also see many well to do black folks who own Million dollar homes and travel the world.
    What do you think are the prime reasons behind this..??

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Lieutenant View Post
    What do you think are the prime reasons behind this..??
    Government Investment in the country, and strict laws. Get caught with a Gun it's 7yrs in Prison and 1 additional year for each bullet. With a knife or anything bladed it's 3yrs (you better have fishing line and a bucket full of fish with u) $1000 fine for littering. Generally the people here have pride in the country.

Credits

you're missing a few things...

yup Bermudians are very well off, this is true, but they pay for it in many ways. Firstly, its 2010 and they are a still a colony of England! In otherwards, they are a majority black country, run by a white country. Secondly, expatriates (mostly white) basically run the show in Bermuda, they have the best jobs, they come in, exploit the country. There's very little sovereignty, self-autonomy, Bermudian culture has been dilluted substantially, and Bermudians have lost their humility, they think that because there are white people in charge, and as a result of that the roads are clean, crime is low, etc., that makes them better than other black/Caribbean people. Well I'd rather live in a poorer country with a richer culture, the price you have paid is too high.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Terence View Post
    yup Bermudians are very well off, this is true, but they pay for it in many ways. Firstly, its 2010 and they are a still a colony of England! In otherwards, they are a majority black country, run by a white country. Secondly, expatriates (mostly white) basically run the show in Bermuda, they have the best jobs, they come in, exploit the country. There's very little sovereignty, self-autonomy, Bermudian culture has been dilluted substantially, and Bermudians have lost their humility, they think that because there are white people in charge, and as a result of that the roads are clean, crime is low, etc., that makes them better than other black/Caribbean people. Well I'd rather live in a poorer country with a richer culture, the price you have paid is too high.

Credits
    Government Investment in the country, and strict laws. Get caught with a Gun it's 7yrs in Prison and 1 additional year for each bullet. With a knife or anything bladed it's 3yrs (you better have fishing line and a bucket full of fish with u) $1000 fine for littering. Generally the people here have pride in the country.
    damn
    this thread is interesting since I know someone from there who despite giving high praises to Bermuda/England, won't move back there. I guess because he doesn't want to live the "life", and wants to actually earn it the hard way. If I had it like him, and from what I'm seeing here..God save the queen, I'm on my way down there. lol

Credits
    You are so ill informed it's funny...I've lived here all my life. Yes it's a territory of England, but with the most advanced constitution of any other territory, we choose to remain as is to have the ability to live anywhere in Europe. London is responsible for 3 things in Bermuda 1. External Affairs 2. Internal Security 3. Defense and that's it. White people run and exploit the country?? Where have you been? Blacks hold All Government's Highests post, Blacks Run the Largest Banks in Bermuda (HSBC) The Head of Bermuda Monetary Authority is Black...All Government MP's are Black, Most Judges are black, 100's of Black Bermudian Actuaries, Underwriters and Accountants, all heads of the Civil Service are Black, If we were in the 1970's I would be inclined to agree with you, as most Island were run by a white minority, your info is soooooo outdated.

Credits
    These are the leaders in Bermuda.
    Members of Parliament | Bermuda Progressive Labour Party

Credits
    R u from Bahamas? or Barbados? Take a look around either of your capital cities and tell me what u see? Looks sorta diluted doesn't it, McDonalds, Burger King, Subway's, Bill Boards, Neon Signs, Graffitti? well we are one of few countries who outlawed any franchises to retain our cultural identity, our archtectire is unique in the world with the exception of a few copycat buildings in Exuma Bahamas and Turks. One car per family to keep road uncongested, national sports of soccar and cricket given 7 million each by government to build upon, unique foods to Bermuda, a 24th May Carnival, CupMatch to celebrate emancipation of slavery (which is the biggest 2 day holiday on the Island) Statues of Slaves Burned at the stake posted up in the city. Just because we don't walk around carrying bannanas on our head doesn't mean that we have no culture. We are a very sophisticated people but are true to our roots.

Credits
    R u from Bahamas? or Barbados? Take a look around either of your capital cities and tell me what u see? Looks sorta diluted doesn't it, McDonalds, Burger King, Subway's, Bill Boards, Neon Signs, Graffitti? well we are one of few countries who outlawed any franchises to retain our cultural identity, our archtectire is unique in the world with the exception of a few copycat buildings in Exuma Bahamas and Turks. One car per family to keep road uncongested, national sports of soccar and cricket given 7 million each by government to build upon, unique foods to Bermuda, a 24th May Carnival, CupMatch to celebrate emancipation of slavery (which is the biggest 2 day holiday on the Island) Statues of Slaves Burned at the stake posted up in the city. Just because we don't walk around carrying bannanas on our head doesn't mean that we have no culture. We are a very sophisticated people but are true to our roots.
    Have you visited any of these countries? You need to stop assuming.
    If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, you
    can rest assured that the water bill is higher there too!

Maya Angelou

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Bajan Cherry View Post

Have you visited any of these countries? You need to stop assuming.
    I need to stop assuming? I only speak of what I've seen with my own eys, looks like your the one who's assuming. Ive seen further dilution of culture in Nassau and in Bridgetown, even worse in Georgetown Cayman, St.Thomas, San Juan and in Phillipsburg St. Martin.
    Last edited by mixitup; 02-08-2010 at 12:48 PM.

T-MAKAA
    Interesting.

Credits
    I need to stop assuming? I only speak of what I've seen with my own eys, looks like your the one who's assuming. Ive seen further dilution of culture in Nassau and in Bridgetown, even worse in Georgetown Cayman, St.Thomas, San Juan and in Phillipsburg St. Martin.
    You may need to get your eyes check. There are no McDonalds, Burger Kings or Subways.
    If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, you
    can rest assured that the water bill is higher there too!

Maya Angelou

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast