Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Believing in a Religion is a Pre Requisite to have Good Character?

Credits

Believing in a Religion is a Pre Requisite to have Good Character?

I guess that's true if a guy must believe in god to not be considered a loser or a candidate in the dating market.

The belief in a religion is merely the belief in a religion. It has no bearings on how a person conducts themselves in society and in the well being of mankind.

Credits
    lol

T-MAKAA
    dat comment burning u huh

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by optimizm View Post

The belief in a religion is merely the belief in a religion. It has no bearings on how a person conducts themselves in society and in the well being of mankind.

yes it could have a bearing and sometimes it has no bearing at all.. depends on the individual
    the healthy man does not torture others - generally it is the tortured who turn into torturers.

Carl G. Jung

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by T-MAKAA View Post
    dat comment burning u huh
    It not burning. I just find it funny and insulting.Vega is cool people.I just trying to show how silly it looks to say people must believe in religion to have values.

What are your thoughts?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Hello BKLYN View Post
    yes it could have a bearing and sometimes it has no bearing at all.. depends on the individual
    How could it?

Credits
    How could it?
    we had this discussion already... when you said morals cannot come from religion and your reasoning was all the wars and enslavement brought on by religion...

But what about all the wars that had nothing to do with religion, and were brought on by greed and the quest to concur land and people and so forth...

what about all the abolishonists and pacifists that were motivated by religious values

what about abolishonists and pacifists that were not motivated by religious values but were motivated by wanting to see humane conditions for mankind?

It can go either way...

but i do agree that it is silly that someone be considered a loser because they do not fear or praise a god if that is what you are refering to
    the healthy man does not torture others - generally it is the tortured who turn into torturers.

Carl G. Jung

T-MAKAA
    It not burning. I just find it funny and insulting.Vega is cool people.I just trying to show how silly it looks to say people must believe in religion to have values.

What are your thoughts?
    I say a person who follows a religion in which they see conflicting teachings as well as hypocritical characters and turn a blind eye is a loser.

I say ppl who believe we came from monkeys are losers.

Actually i dont think either are "losers", i just think they are just blinded. Saying loser is a bit harsh.

Credits
    we had this discussion already... when you said morals cannot come from religion and your reasoning was all the wars and enslavement brought on by religion...

But what about all the wars that had nothing to do with religion, and were brought on by greed and the quest to concur land and people and so forth...

what about all the abolishonists and pacifists that were motivated by religious values

what about abolishonists and pacifists that were not motivated by religious values but were motivated by wanting to see humane conditions for mankind?

It can go either way...

but i do agree that it is silly that someone be considered a loser because they do not fear or praise a god if that is what you are refering to

There was a chapel on the slave ports of West Africa? Slavery is advocated in the bible.

The point is that religion does not dictate a person's moral judgement towards humanity.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by T-MAKAA View Post
    I say a person who follows a religion in which they see conflicting teachings as well as hypocritical characters and turn a blind eye is a loser.

I say ppl who believe we came from monkeys are losers.

Actually i dont think either are "losers", i just think they are just blinded. Saying loser is a bit harsh.
    Makes sense

Credits
    There was a chapel on the slave ports of West Africa? Slavery is advocated in the bible.

The point is that religion does not dictate a person's moral judgement towards humanity.
    you are missing my point... i know this stuff... i even know religion was used to justify enslavement of peoples...

But there are people who believe the exact opposite.. you keep bring up examples of where religion was used to perpetuate injustices.. but for every one of those examples there are hundreds of instances where religion was used as a good moral compass... you think Martin Luther King was not influenced by religion at all.. Hitler and many neo-nazis use the bible and christianity to justify all kinds of shit... but people like MLK used it for other things... Like i said it depends on the individual and how they interpret or convolute the thing
    EloquenceInc and Lucianite like this.

Carl G. Jung

Credits
    I guess that's true if a guy must believe in god to not be considered a loser or a candidate in the dating market.

a lot of black men, no matter how REPROBATE dem be, require a woman to be churchgoing in order for her to have any chance of being considered a good girl and worthy of their respect.

Never mind that the only time dem see the inside of a church as the old saying goes is when dem hatch, match, and dispatch!
    Who has eyes to see, let them see...

Credits
    you are missing my point... i know this stuff... i even know religion was used to justify enslavement of peoples...

But there are people who believe the exact opposite.. you keep bring up examples of where religion was used to perpetuate injustices.. but for every one of those examples there are hundreds of instances where religion was used as a good moral compass... you think Martin Luther King was not influenced by religion at all.. Hitler and many neo-nazis use the bible and christianity to justify all kinds of shit... but people like MLK used it for other things... Like i said it depends on the individual and how they interpret or convolute the thing
    a lot of west indians have the catholic church to thank for their quality education...you think all those catholic schools all over the caribbean just happened to name the way they name?
    Who has eyes to see, let them see...

Credits

No, they did it because they though it was in the best virtue for mankind, not because of what their religious belief tells them.

So legislators in congress use religion as a basis to determine what needs to be passed? I don't think so.

Religion has no place in politics or government.

Quote Originally Posted by Brownilus View Post
    a lot of black men, no matter how REPROBATE dem be, require a woman to be churchgoing in order for her to have any chance of being considered a good girl and worthy of their respect.

Never mind that the only time dem see the inside of a church as the old saying goes is when dem hatch, match, and dispatch!
    nonsense

Credits
    so how you know what was in there heads at the time they did what they did.. people already told you stop saying things with absolute certainty that you have no way of knowing for sure...
    So you are saying absolutely nobody during the civil rights movement, or abolitionist or pacifists, even those who protest abortion do what they do because of christians values ingrained in them?

Carl G. Jung

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast