Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: B'dos Music Awards off the hook!!!!!!

Credits
    Amm, again, it takes more than one person in a band to make it possible to win that award. You can think as you please since there is nothing that pleases you more than being so patriotic, but I still see it as a group effort. You make it seem as if rebel was nominated against Edwin(your backyard comment).

Rupee won for best selling male artiste...which I'm surprised you haven't touched on.

Anyhow, while it's nice that the various individuals won the awards, there is still a lot of room for improvement when it comes to the actual event. I still have a problem with the categories (specifically the compilation album nominees). I felt the right person won, but I still want to know how on earth Madd even got a nomination. The cd wasn't good though Darron Grants far better & there were others nominated (Kimberley Inniss & Barry Chandler) in other categories that are on his cd. Some of the other categories were flawed, but I suppose they were just trying to nominate certain people and award them something. It's pretty much a no-brainer to see who would win for certain categories as there wasn't much competition (like the Christmas album). Also the best video award...another one that should have gone to someone else.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Rummy
    Amm, again, it takes more than one person in a band to make it possible to win that award. You can think as you please since there is nothing that pleases you more than being so patriotic, but I still see it as a group effort. You make it seem as if rebel was nominated against Edwin(your backyard comment).

Rupee won for best selling male artiste...which I'm surprised you haven't touched on.

Anyhow, while it's nice that the various individuals won the awards, there is still a lot of room for improvement when it comes to the actual event. I still have a problem with the categories (specifically the compilation album nominees). I felt the right person won, but I still want to know how on earth Madd even got a nomination. The cd wasn't good though Darron Grants far better & there were others nominated (Kimberley Inniss & Barry Chandler) in other categories that are on his cd. Some of the other categories were flawed, but I suppose they were just trying to nominate certain people and award them something. It's pretty much a no-brainer to see who would win for certain categories as there wasn't much competition (like the Christmas album). Also the best video award...another one that should have gone to someone else.
    Instead of NAMING the it the BARBADOS MUSIC AWARD show, they should have just named it the RIHANNA AWARD show.

That show was SETUP for her to win all those AWARDS.

Like who was going to beat her in the REGGAE category??

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by VINCYPOWA
    Instead of NAMING the it the BARBADOS MUSIC AWARD show, they should have just named it the RIHANNA AWARD show.

That show was SETUP for her to win all those AWARDS.

Like who was going to beat her in the REGGAE category??
    duh...

Again as I said before...there was no REAL competition for some of the categories, so why have them? I have no problem with people winning, but you can't place some people in the same category just because there is a lack of artistes.

Credits
    duh...

Again as I said before...there was no REAL competition for some of the categories, so why have them? I have no problem with people winning, but you can't place some people in the same category just because there is a lack of artistes.
    You have THEM because it would make the show LENGTHY and give the IMPRESSION that Barbados has a VAST repertoire of ARTISTS from DIFFERENT genres?????

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by VINCYPOWA
    You have THEM because it would make the show LENGTHY and give the IMPRESSION that Barbados has a VAST repertoire of ARTISTS from DIFFERENT genres?????
    Well put on more performances if you have to...The island is hardly lacking talent, but if awards shows in the US last for 4 hours minimum, why try to compete with that length?

Credits
    I shoulda read today's advocate...
    First Barbados Music Awards sold out
    Web Posted - Tue Jan 10 2006
    By Allison Ramsay

A massive crowd was on hand for the first Barbados Music Awards held at the Sherbourne Confer-ence Centre on Sunday and at five minutes to eight in the evening, there was still a long line outside for the sold-out show.

When patrons heard that there was no more seating left, they expressed disappointment, with one-woman even volunteering to stand and on the inside many had to do just that. Another patron standing outside asked, Didnt they expect the tickets to sell? Another wanted a refund for her money. But whilst waiting to see what would happen, there was no disruptive behaviour.

At the press conference held after the show, director of Timeless Barbados Entertainment Agency Ronnie Morris said that regardless of the situation which took place earlier in the night, all persons who had passes or tickets were accommodated.

He added that the show was sold out and based on the numbers, who were trying to get tickets to the show, Timeless could have sold out an 8 000-seat venue.

When asked why he chose the Flamboya Room, one of the smaller rooms at the Sherbourne Confer-ence Centre, he explained: We wanted to make sure that the show was a sold-out success the first time around. We also had to think about things like quality control and having a venue size which we were accustomed to ...

However, a bigger venue may be on the cards for next years show since according to Morris, Time-less will do site visits at the Wildey Gymnasium this year.

Acknowledging that we were not taken seriously at first, Morris said that from the obstacles that were in the way for this years show, the agency will work harder to produce one of the biggest shows in 2007 with the continued support of sponsors who had faith in the show.

Morris revealed that an international act may be coming to perform at the show next year. While not disclosing the details of this, he said there will be meetings next week to discuss this with potential candidates being 50 Cent and Mary J. Blige. He also said that financial backing for this undertaking will not be a problem.

According to him, there will be less categories than there were this year and it was a deliberate action to have so many.
    He said categories will be conso- lidated with only one Cornerstone Award winner for the next year compared to this years 32. Morris also said new categories for classical music and best alternative single will be added next year, stating that this move would be done to involve these genres of music.

He also said the show will be shorter next year and was pleased with the response and with the international journalists coming from the BBC, MTV Tempo, Caribbean territories and the United States, adding that CBC will try to air the show as soon as possible.D

Credits
    Well put on more performances if you have to...The island is hardly lacking talent, but if awards shows in the US last for 4 hours minimum, why try to compete with that length?
    Again, to give the PERCEPTION that they have a MULTITUDE of ARTISTS in DIFFERENT GENRES, so as to give the FALSE picture that their INDUSTRY is BIGGER and better than those in the REGION or even on par with some outside the region.

Credits
    By Allison Ramsay

A massive crowd was on hand for the first Barbados Music Awards held at the Sherbourne Confer-ence Centre on Sunday and at five minutes to eight in the evening, there was still a long line outside for the sold-out show.

When patrons heard that there was no more seating left, they expressed disappointment, with one-woman even volunteering to stand and on the inside many had to do just that. Another patron standing outside asked, Didnt they expect the tickets to sell? Another wanted a refund for her money. But whilst waiting to see what would happen, there was no disruptive behaviour.

At the press conference held after the show, director of Timeless Barbados Entertainment Agency Ronnie Morris said that regardless of the situation which took place earlier in the night, all persons who had passes or tickets were accommodated.

He added that the show was sold out and based on the numbers, who were trying to get tickets to the show, Timeless could have sold out an 8 000-seat venue.

When asked why he chose the Flamboya Room, one of the smaller rooms at the Sherbourne Confer-ence Centre, he explained: We wanted to make sure that the show was a sold-out success the first time around. We also had to think about things like quality control and having a venue size which we were accustomed to ...

However, a bigger venue may be on the cards for next years show since according to Morris, Time-less will do site visits at the Wildey Gymnasium this year.

Acknowledging that we were not taken seriously at first, Morris said that from the obstacles that were in the way for this years show, the agency will work harder to produce one of the biggest shows in 2007 with the continued support of sponsors who had faith in the show.

Morris revealed that an international act may be coming to perform at the show next year. While not disclosing the details of this, he said there will be meetings next week to discuss this with potential candidates being 50 Cent and Mary J. Blige. He also said that financial backing for this undertaking will not be a problem.

According to him, there will be less categories than there were this year and it was a deliberate action to have so many. He said categories will be conso- lidated with only one Cornerstone Award winner for the next year compared to this years 32. Morris also said new categories for classical music and best alternative single will be added next year, stating that this move would be done to involve these genres of music.

He also said the show will be shorter next year and was pleased with the response and with the international journalists coming from the BBC, MTV Tempo, Caribbean territories and the United States, adding that CBC will try to air the show as soon as possible.D
    Well, there you go.

Credits

By Allison Ramsay

According to him, there will be less categories than there were this year and it was a deliberate action to have so many.
    He said categories will be conso- lidated with only one Cornerstone Award winner for the next year compared to this years 32. Morris also said new categories for classical music and best alternative single will be added next year, stating that this move would be done to involve these genres of music.

More like why you shoulda read MY post...I put this up two pages ago:

B'dos Music Awards off the hook!!!!!!

Stupse.

Anyway, congrats to all of the nominees as well as the awardees. Even though I won't say all of them truly deserved the 'recognition' they received...we must bear in mind that this is only the FIRST episode, therefore the positive vibe must be developed before it is maintained.

For instance, had not for that "Christmas Album" category, ask yourself where they would have squeezed in Tamara. Were it not for that "Best Video" award going Magnet Man's way, the only reason for his attendance would have been to perform on stage.

I suppose everyone invited accepted the premiere for what it was (just the beginning) and left very satisfied, singing (in some cases literally) the praises of the event. Next year I'd imagine it won't be such a cakewalk; artistes will appreciate more and more and will work more and more, harder and harder towards being awarded, as the prestige factor can only become greater. That should provide the necessary conditions for a necessary catalyst, the force of which travels on a ONE WAY road, direction "Forward".
    Last edited by GWADA-BAJE; 01-12-2006 at 02:23 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234