Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: BBM - losing money

LB
    Credits

BBM - losing money

Research in Motion posted a 145M loss and I think their CEO just stepped down. I was only half listening to the news right now.

Doesnt look good for BBM.
    ~ If you make the mountain any bigger you wont be able to move it later

Credits
    they have their uses... it's not a app-friendly phone but the other things it does, gets the job done... if they bring out this bb10 phones it might be good but who knows.. i know the blackberry haters bout to swoop down in here like some mad geese!! lol
    Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

mi style still sharp .....u a A-Minor and dem a B-Flat

Credits
    2,466,130,003,239,999,894,719,398,969,643,979,951,637,561,03 2,240,627,990,921,216
    People still use BBM an don't tell meh yuh use it to talk to people in the Caribbean . Because we all using What'sApp

Credits
    blackberry?

Isn't that some kinda fruit? I should try it in my pancakes...
    Those Who Sacrifice Freedom for Security Deserve Neither
    www.cookingwithval.com
    http://www.snackhealthy.com/snackwithval
    @cookingwithval
    @NicaBlack

LB
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
    People still use BBM an don't tell meh yuh use it to talk to people in the Caribbean . Because we all using What'sApp
    why u so grumpy? Its a Canadian based company and as a Canadian I dont want to see it fail even if I dont use the product.

Quote Originally Posted by Nica View Post
    blackberry?

Isn't that some kinda fruit? I should try it in my pancakes...
    yuh nat nice, young lady!

Credits
    Droid/iPhone mi seh!
    BacchanalDiva likes this.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us."

Credits
    Everybody wants a Porsche/Ferrari/Lamborghini....buh, very few people drive stick.

and, by the way...it's "BB" as in Blackberry..."BBM" is Blackberry Messenger, as in "Chat Client".
    Girly boy why do you get such a kick out of dissing women? - Namey Namey

You don't act proper, you just act angry. You act like a angry racist white new york cop.-Namey Namey

Everyone knows MÉCHANT LOUP is a jackass, but a pedophile? - Namey Namey

MÉCHANT LOUP like women? The only thing MÉCHANT LOUP like more than hearing that a blackman was gunned down by cops, is a hairy man ass. - Namey Namey

MÉCHANT LOUP a battyman. - Namey Namey

Credits
    i dont mind switching to an iphone.. not interested in those bulky android devices.. as it happens now i really dont speak to much who doesnt have a bbm like that.. hit me up on FB i aint chattin with yu on my phone lol
    Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

Credits
    heard this morning that they are going to abandon the consumer market and focus on the corporate business market...

BlackBerry maker gives up on consumer market | Fox News

TORONTO – Struggling BlackBerry maker Research in Motion said Thursday that it plans to return its focus to its corporate customers after failing to compete with flashier, consumer-oriented phones such as Apple's iPhone and models that run Google's Android software.

The shift in strategy came with a management shakeup that includes longtime executive Jim Balsillie leaving the board and severing ties with a company he helped build and later see decline.

RIM said it will focus its consumer efforts on targeted offerings that tap the company's strengths. That includes devices that employees will want to buy on their own and bring to the corporate environment. The company was exploring partnerships and other opportunities for consumer products that aren't deemed central. Those products could include software and features that are then incorporated into RIM's own offerings.

"We can't do everything ourselves, but we can do what we're good at," RIM CEO Thorsten Heins said.

RIM earnings miss Wall Street expectations

RIM has had limited success trying to enter consumer markets in recent years, particularly with high-end devices that sport touch screens popular with consumers.

Heins said a turnaround required "substantial change."

"BlackBerry cannot succeed if we tried to be everybody's darling."
    - RIM CEO Thorsten Heins

"We believe that BlackBerry cannot succeed if we tried to be everybody's darling and all things to all people," Heins said. "Therefore, we plan to build on our strength."

Heins, who joined RIM four years ago and was most recently its chief operating officer, replaced co-CEOs Balsillie and Mike Lazaridis in January after the company lost tens of billions in market value. Lazaridis founded the company, and Balsillie had joined in its early years.

RIM said Thursday that Balsillie has resigned from its board after 20 years with the company. David Yach, chief technology officer for software, and Jim Rowan, chief operating officer for global operations, also are leaving.

The company said it was undergoing a comprehensive strategic review. Heins said he was open to selling the company, but "it is not the main direction we are pursuing right now."

The Canadian company has long dominated the corporate smartphone market. Its BlackBerrys are known for their security and reliability as email devices. President Barack Obama even refused to part with his BlackBerry after he took office.

RIM has sought to expand its appeal to consumers, but it has had trouble because the phones aren't perceived to be as sexy as its chief competitors. RIM has been counting on improvements with its forthcoming BlackBerry 10 system, but that has faced multiple delays. BlackBerrys also lag iPhones or Android phones when it comes to running third-party applications. Touch-screen models that lack physical keyboards have largely flopped.

For that reason, BlackBerrys are even losing ground in the business world, as employees demand iPhones or Android devices over BlackBerrys.

Apple sold 37 million iPhones in the last three months of 2011 -- more than what RIM shipped in the past three quarters combined. RIM shipped 11.1 million BlackBerrys in the latest quarter, which ended March 3.

RIM also bombed in its efforts to produce a tablet computer to compete with Apple's iPad. Among other things, the PlayBook received negative reviews because it launched without an email program and the popular messaging service BlackBerry Messenger. In December, the tablets that originally cost $500 were selling for $200, below the cost of making them.

BGC Financial analyst Colin Gillis said it's a positive development that RIM is going to focus on its corporate clients and lower-end consumers.

"They are conceding the high-end consumer market with all these services that are wrapped around the platform," Gillis said. "At least there's some reality here. Are they going to compete against iTunes? No way."

Peter Misek, an analyst at Jefferies & Co. in New York, said RIM should have recognized that it is niche player and lost the battle with Apple three years ago. Misek said the company should have looked at partnering with other companies last year rather than now.

When he took the CEO job in January, Heins said a drastic change in strategy was not needed. He said Thursday that he changed his mind after conducting his "own reality check on where the entire company really is."

Print Email Share Comments (1)inShare4 Related Stories
    Research In Motion 4Q Results Miss Views
    Facebook's Zuckerberg takes Tokyo victory lap
    Want a roll-up iPad? LG says flexible displays are real
    How to make enemies and influence people -- and maybe cyberbully -- on Facebook
    Google tells me I'm boring

Read more: BlackBerry maker gives up on consumer market | Fox News
    the healthy man does not torture others - generally it is the tortured who turn into torturers.

Carl G. Jung

Credits
    oh no they're going to be the skytell of the business world (yes my company still has skytells for their on call peopel)

Credits
    i guess iphone here i come.. and all my friends will switch to an iphone so we'll be good.. buzz off android.. lol.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

Taj
    Credits
    wish em luck.

LB
    Credits
    " it plans to return its focus to its corporate customers after failing to compete with flashier, consumer-oriented phones such as Apple's iPhone and models that run Google's Android software."

returning to their roots as it were probably the better idea.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
    Whatsapp requires internet. WIs to cheap to pay that extra $ for internet

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Val3nie2debone View Post
    Droid/iPhone mi seh!
    Agree with the first part...

As for BBM, it was only a matter of time...

The sweetest mobile out at the moment is Ericsson Xperia S...
    Seven is the number of the natural world. There are 7 days in the week, 7 notes on the musical scale and 7 directions (left, right, up, down, forward, back and center). The Sages teach that seven are the attributes of physicality: Height, Width, Depth, Top and Bottom (limits height), Front and Back (limits width), Left and Right (limits depth), the connecting of the other six.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast