Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BBC - Why hasn't soca acheived international success?

Credits

BBC - Why hasn't soca acheived international success?

"Out of this principle certain consequences will flow: Anguillians will in the years to come be a united people... so that where the honour or the interest of Anguillians is concerned, they know no colour, no creed, no class" - S.B. Jones, Annals of Anguilla

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by AxAeo View Post
    Without LQQKING at the ARTICLE, BLAME it on the TRINIS. They CLAIMED that they're the MECCA of SOCA, so you have to BLAME the BIG BULL IN ah de PEN.

If the ARTICLE was about REGGAE music not making it INTERNATIONAL, I would have said BLAME it on the YARDIES because they're the MECCA of the GENRE, so you have to BLAME the BIG BULL in ah de PEN
    Last edited by VINCYPOWA; 11-15-2008 at 10:42 PM.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by VINCYPOWA View Post
    Without LQQKING at the ARTICLE, BLAME it on the TRINIS. They CLAIMED that they're the MECCA of SOCA, so you have to BLAME the BIG BULL IN ah de PEN.

If the ARTICLE was about REGGAE music not making it INTERNATIONAL, I would said BLAME it on the YARDIES because they're the MECCA of the GENRE, so you have to BLAME the BIG BULL in ah de PEN
    Yet the first face to pop up on the article is OH MY GOD! A VINCY!

Mad Scorpion
    Quote Originally Posted by Val3nie2debone View Post
    So wait yuh sayin dat de VINCY eh deliver de international SUCCESS to soca? Blasphemy I tell you!!

Mudderwukcock!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Val3nie2debone View Post
    Well, I am sure it has to do with the VINCY TAKING SOCA MUSIC where it has NEVER EVER been BEFORE, to the 4 CORNERS of the WORLD.

The TRINIS still WAVING their FLAGS from since 1993, thus that THEME has been the CENTERPIECE of its MUSIC for over 15 YEARS

15 YEARS of FLAG WAVING=LACK of CREATIVITY=NO GROWTH=STAGNATION=NO INTERNATIONAL SUCCESS

Like I said, OVER and OVER (5 years and counting), that CARNIVAL THEME will NEVER EVER make it to the BIG DANCE. It is the RAGGA SOCA style that will BREAKTHROUGH.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime HD View Post
    So wait yuh sayin dat de VINCY eh deliver de international SUCCESS to soca? Blasphemy I tell you!!

Mudderwukcock!
    When DJs like U and when the TRINI GOVERNMENT get BEHIND the VINCIES....when these two entities PUSH the VINCIES, the INTERNATIONAL market has no CHOICE but to OPEN its DOORS.

But when you have DJ's BOMBARDING the HAPLESS WEST INDIAN AUDIENCE with the SAME TIRED FAST PACE THEME, which should only be PLAYED during CARNIVAL, what you're LEFT with is a PEOPLE that SIMPLY do not UNDERSTAND that they're STUNTING the GROWTH of the GENRE.

How the FUGG a CARNIVAL THEME from 1993 still HOLDING MAJOR INFLUENCE over the INDUSTRY to this DAY?

This is TOTAL BS.....this is not GROWTH, this is STAGNATION and LACK of IMAGINATION. The INABILITY to UNDERSTAND that it is TIME to MOVE ON.....TIME to MOVE ON....DROP that FLAG WAVING....JUMP UP in the AIR BS.....is at the CENTER of the LACK of GROWTH in SOCA.

Them YARDIES done CREATE bout a MILLION NEW DANCES since 1993, yet we're still STUCK in 1993 wid this JUMP and WAVE BS.

It is time to MOVE FORWARD....TIME to GO back to making GOOD MUSIC....MUSIC that is WORTH LISTENING to.....MUSIC that can CAPTURE a BROAD AUDIENCE.

CARNIVAL SONGS should be at the BOTTOM of the LIST of MUSIC that we should be PROMOTING and BLASTING over the AIRWAVES.

It is TIME to GIVE UP the CARNIVAL MUSIC because CARNIVAL is OVER. Yet, you hear this MUSIC JAMMING until the NEXT CARNIVAL season. And then it is BACK to NEW CARNIVAL MUSIC. And people R ASKING WHY SOCA caah MEK it to the BIG DANCE like REGGAE and DANCEHALL?

SERIOUSLY, who the FUGG is GOING to LISTEN to JUMP UP MUSIC all YEAR ROUND?

Well, I guess WEST IDNIANS have no CHOICE because that is what the DJ''s KEEP BOMBARDING US with 24/7 on those PIRATE STATIONS.

It is a GOOD THING I do not LISTEN to PIRATE STATIONS anymore, else I would have GONE INSANE from all that BS FAST PACE, FLAG WAVING, JUMP UP music that DOMINATES the AIRWAVES. And doh EVEN TAWK about the CONSTANT TALKING by these DUMBASS DJ's on the RADIO. SHUT DA FUKK UP already and PLAY de MUSIC

OK, I am DONE VENTING my FRUSTRATION on this ISSUE, once again.

Mad Scorpion
    When DJs like U and when the TRINI GOVERNMENT get BEHIND the VINCIES....when these two entities PUSH the VINCIES, the INTERNATIONAL market has no CHOICE but to OPEN its DOORS.

Mad Scorpion
    It is a GOOD THING I do not LISTEN to PIRATE STATIONS anymore, else I would have GONE INSANE from all that BS FAST PACE, FLAG WAVING, JUMP UP music that DOMINATES the AIRWAVES. And doh EVEN TAWK about the CONSTANT TALKING by these DUMBASS DJ's on the RADIO. SHUT DA FUKK UP already and PLAY de MUSIC

OK, I am DONE VENTING my FRUSTRATION on this ISSUE, once again.
    Lucky for me I play on a legal radio station I guess huh

Credits
    I don't know about most of you, but I like my soca fast, uptempo tunes 150bpm+ and my groovy tunes I really prefer everything to be over 100bpm at minimum- with the best groovy tunes being around 120bpm

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by soca control View Post
    I don't know about most of you, but I like my soca fast, uptempo tunes 150bpm+ and my groovy tunes I really prefer everything to be over 100bpm at minimum- with the best groovy tunes being around 120bpm
    this is the real reason soca isnt going anywhere

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Ras_Apache View Post
    this is the real reason soca isnt going anywhere
    but I think there's potential to introduce it as something you move fast to- versus every hip hop tune creeping along at 80bpm which puts me to sleep

I think a part of what soca is all about has to be preserved- or else I hope something else comes along thats equally as fast- I can't imagine going wild during carnival to music so slow...

I can only be me.... MadamStatuesque's Avatar MadamStatuesque is offline
    Credits
    Well, I guess WEST IDNIANS have no CHOICE because that is what the DJ''s KEEP BOMBARDING US with 24/7 on those PIRATE STATIONS.

so u dont know ur fellow vincies have nuff illegals that play vincy chunes alll day, alll night? grenz stations as well?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by soca control View Post
    but I think there's potential to introduce it as something you move fast to- versus every hip hop tune creeping along at 80bpm which puts me to sleep

I think a part of what soca is all about has to be preserved- or else I hope something else comes along thats equally as fast- I can't imagine going wild during carnival to music so slow...
    what about the lyrics, the music, the aarangement, the creativity...jthere has to be more than jumping and waving at 200 BPM in order for it to gain mass appeal

Credits

If the ARTICLE was about REGGAE music not making it INTERNATIONAL, I would said BLAME it on the YARDIES because they're the MECCA of the GENRE, so you have to BLAME the BIG BULL in ah de PEN
    Bias, closeminded and dotish........whydidyuhmudderboddertuhwukk
    STATIC RADIO - www.islandmix.com/static
    Tunein Radio - Static Radio

LR Advertising LLC

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Ras_Apache View Post
    what about the lyrics, the music, the aarangement, the creativity...jthere has to be more than jumping and waving at 200 BPM in order for it to gain mass appeal
    apache- I hear you loud and clear- however

i could counter your statement by saying that the same could be argued for dancehall, hip hop, rock n roll, and rnb which recycles the same concepts- I am all for quality- but I think people are unfairly bias against soca and always use it as an easy target against quality because it hasn't blown up outside of the many diasporas

besides soca is the people's music- happy music- dance music- jump up music- carnival time music- its current state is fine- why does caribbean music have to water itself down to be accepted by Americans?

do you really want soca to be violent? do you want it to be gritty? I don't know bout the rest of you but I want my soca HAPPY

also, like many forms of music why can't outsiders take it in it's native form? why does Kevin Lyttle have to ride a riddim that samples La Isla Bonita to blow up? why does Machel have to do a tune with Busta to be accepted? why does Machel have to hop on a Pitbull remix to be accepted? there's got to be another way to introduce soca music to the world that has not been done yet or hasn't been well executed- I sort of feel like- if the concept of Carnival was introduced to outsiders- as a concept and driving force- and soca was used as the vehicle to drive it- it would go much further than some outsider to soca listening to it on On The Reggae tip for 25 minutes on Sunday night and saying, "oh yeah, thats soca..."

also- i would love to know what other lyrics & concepts people would like to see covered in soca music that has not been done yet...

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast