Thread: Battle of the minds!

Credits

Battle of the minds!

So you are engaging in a topic with someone. You agree with some things but for the most part you both have opinons which lie on the opposite side of the spectrum. The debate takes a turn when one party starts calling the other party names, derogatory or not, doesn't matter. Be objectively as you can:

1. From the third party point of view, do you think that the person now resorting to such tactics still holds the same validity at the start of the debate?

2. If you were in the situation (the one calling names), would you still see yourself holding the same validity(Be honest, emotions take over sometimes!!)

3. Is it that the person is not knowledgable about the topic therefore his points are based on his/her feelings on the subject?

OR

4. Do you think that your opinions can be based on your feelings and still hold as much validity as he other person's opinions?

Credits

I think opinions are based on feelings. And once u full stand in your decision you will fight it to teh ground. I appreciate someone that respects my opinion though even if they totally disagree. ANd when people resort to calling names in a debate i think they have run out of defenses for their points and i think sometimes you do loose validity..

or is it just your passion shinning through??
    The saint and the sinner are just exchanging notes. Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.

The matador wins by avoiding the bull not colliding with him!

Solidarity
    1 - i question the validity of one's position when all that one can bring to the debate is name callin and cussin.

2 - emotions can overwhelm but if all i can muster is outburts, then i wouldn't consider myself valid

3 - not necessarily true, the person can be knowledgeable and still be ocewrcome with emotion

4 - opinions and feelings aren't mutually exclusive...they can and do affect each other and your feelings based opinions (often borne from experience) can still be valid

Credits
    BGD & Soli: I understand where you are coming from but in all circumstances where facts are present, doesn't making opinons based on feelings cost you validity of what you bring to the table?

btw: Thanks for the response. I love to hear from brilliant minds

Solidarity
    Originally posted by chinee
    BGD & Soli: I understand where you are coming from but in all circumstances where facts are present, doesn't making opinons based on feelings cost you validity of what you bring to the table?

btw: Thanks for the response. I love to hear from brilliant minds
    Brilliant minds?!?...woman have you lost your head or have you been sharing a drink wid de dancing fella in your sig? :p

But again, if one is able to provide facts while also making opinions based in part on feelings, i don't think that it should completely cost you your validity. Remember experience is often the best teacher and where feelings are based on significant experience, it is wise to use them in your decision-making and even in your debating.

Credits
    Originally posted by Solidarity
    Brilliant minds?!?...woman have you lost your head or have you been sharing a drink wid de dancing fella in your sig? :p

shhhh...:p

But i catch your point
    Last edited by chinee; 12-12-2003 at 01:27 PM.