Thread: BARRY, YOU THINK BURNING FLAMES............. KORNY?

Credits

BARRY, YOU THINK BURNING FLAMES............. KORNY?

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jan-29-01 AT 06:22 PM (EST)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jan-29-01 AT 06:21 PM (EST)[/font]

MEH BACKSIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I THOUGHT I COULD HAVE LET THAT ONE SLIDE, BUT NO SIR!

THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST BANDS TO EVER COME OUT OF THE CARIBBEAN.

I WOULD AGREE THAT THIS BAND DID SOME BETTER WORK IN THE PAST, THAT IS PRIOR TO ONYAN'S DEPARTURE(1986-1997).

BUT TO SAY THAT MOST OF THE WHAT THIS BAND PRODUCE,THAT IS OVER 150 TO 200 RECORDINGS AS KORNY MEANS YOU EITHER HAVE NOT LISTEN TO THIS BAND MUCH OR BARELY OR YOU DON'T KNOW THE MUSIC OF THIS PART OF THE CARIBBEAN.

SO WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO SAY?

barry

RE: BARRY, YOU THINK BURNING FLAMES............. KORNY?

well yea.
    i think they are corny.
    romans is one of the hottest soca songs out now, i will easily admit that.
    but overall.....
    dem cats weak.
    been weak.
    after 150 songs yu would think they would expand their repoitore but no such luck.
    an i didn't single dem out.
    there are a whole bunch of cornballs in soca.
    and reggae for that matter.
    is just that in reggae they dont become stars.
    and if they do because of a one hit they wont stay stars for long.
    cause there is always a new group in the pipeline waiting to try.
    but when a country only has like 6 acts.
    #####, it isnt hard to be a star.
    there is nobody else to set fire to your corny ass.

just my and the grammy committee's opinion.
    (yu know there isnt a soca or calypso category rite?)

peace.

Credits

BARRY, YOU NA FU KNOW THIS BAND TAHL

THESE GUYS ARE NOT YOUR EVERYDAY MERE MORTALS. THEY ARE REALLY GOOD AND EXPERIENCED MUSICIANS. BESIDES WINNING 11 ROADMARCHES IN ANTIGUA, PRIOR TO THEIR EXISTANCE THEY PLAYED BACKGROUND MUSIC FOR LORD SHORTSHIRT(15-TIME CALYPSO KING OF ANTIGUA AND DUBBED BY SOME AS THE BOB MARLEY OF CALYPSO) AND ARROW.

AS A MATTER OF FACT CLARENCE "OUNGKU" EDWARDS HAD A HAND IN THE COMPOSITION AND ARRANGEMENT OF HOT, HOT, HOT WHICH SOLD MILLIONS.

AND AS FOR SOCA NOT BEING RECOGNIZE BY THE GRAMMYS, I SAY F**K THAT. BECAUSE THIS SAD VIOLENT WORLD NEEDS LOVE AND FUN THAT SOCA CAN GIVE IT MORE THAN MUSIC NEEDS THE WORLD. AND EVEN THOUGH IT IS NOT WORLD-RECOGNIZED THOSE OF US WHO LOVE IT STILL ENJOY IT ANYWAY AND THAT MATTERS TO US.

NOW GETTING BACK TO BAND BURNING FLAMES WHOM YOU DISTINGUISH AS CORNY. I WAS WANDERING IF WOULD BE WORTH ANYTHING TO DEFEND THEM SENSELESSLY TO A PERSON WHOM MIGHT BE EITHER OPEN-MINDED OR STUBBORN. BUT REGUARDLESS I WILL DEFEND THEM.

FIRST, THESE GUYS MAKE THERE OWN MUSIC COMPLETELY MEANING THEY WRITE, COMPOSE AND ARRANGE THEMSELVES. ONLY THREE SONGS THEY RECORDED WERE COLLABORATED WITH OTHER ARTISTS TO A CERTAIN DEGREE THAT WAS BAND MEET BAND, FORBIDDEN FRUIT, AND GUANTARRAMERRA.

IN TERMS OF VERSATILITY I AM SURE YOU CAN'T NAME MORE THAN A HAND FULL OF CARRIBBEAN ARTISTS(SOCA AND REGGAE) THAT SHOWS MORE VERSATILITY. THIS IS ONE OF THE FIRST SOCA BAND TO DO ZOUK MUSIC AND I DON'T MEAN JUST PLAY ZOUK MUSIC BUT ALSO SANG IN FRENCH PATOIS: TOUTMON DANCE(1987), CHOUKWE(1988), AND SOME WITH ENGLISH MOULE(1989),VOULE VOUZ(1989), ALLEZ SOTE(1992) AND THE MUSIC PLAYED HERE IS OF A HIGH STANDARD AND SOUND DIFFERENT AND YOU CALL THAT CORNY.

AND FROM THAT TUNE CHOUKWE(1988)YOU CAN FIND THAT FAMILIAR BEAT THAT YOU CAN FIND IN MOST FAST SOCA TUNES TODAY.

SOME OTHER GOOD QUALITY SLOW WINE MUSIC WITH A ZOUK FLAVORING INCLUDE THE FAMOUS WORKEY(1989-REMEMBER LUNATIC), ISLAND GIRL(1989-REMEMBER WEEKEND AT BARNIES 2), SQUEEZE ME(1990), ROLL THAT BEEF(1991) AND NO,NO,NO. AND IMPORTANT TO NOTE EACH OF THESE TUNES SOUND DIFFERENT AND HOW CORNY CAN THAT BE.

CONTINUING ON THEIR VERSATILITY THEY DID COUPLE SONGS WITH A LATIN FLAVOR TODUS BILA(1994) AND BILA DIS(1998).

WHEN IT COMES TO REGGAE/DANCE MUSIC THEY MADE THAT IS WHERE I KNOW YOU WANT TO CRUSH THEM. BUT I FEEL THAT THEY MADE A CONSCIOUS TO MAKE SOME GOOD MUSIC AND SOME HERE SUCH AS ONE GROOVE(1997), CAN'T LET GO(1996), BROWSE UP(1995), YOUNG GAL(1995), CALYPSO DANCEHALL (1994),SPRING CHICKEN(1993) AND THE FAMOUS
    NICE TIME(1992). AND EACH OF THESE TUNES SOUND DIFFERENT ESPECIALLY SPUNKS(1998) WHICH WAS LIKE A 1950'S/60'S ROCK AND ROLL. THAT IS VERSATILITY. AND IN 1996 IN THE LABOR DAY PARADE I COULD RECALL THEY HAD SOMEONE DOING DANCEHALL CHANTS WHILE THEY WERE MAKING SOUNDS OF CARS ON A RACETRACK AS THE BACKGROUND MUSIC - THAT'S CREATIVITY.

AS FOR CROSSOVER HUNGRY FOR YOUR LOVE (1997), KEEP DANCING(1997), BURNING CLUB(1996), FORBIDDEN FRUIT(1992) WERE SLIGHTLY BETTER THAN LAST YEARS EFFORTS HOUSE ON FIRE(2000) AND BE BAD(2000). BUT IN MY OPINION THEY TRIED AND THEY ARE DIFFERENT FROM EACH OTHER IN VARYING DEGREES.

NOW TO THE SOCA AND CALYPSO.
    I WILL DISCUSS A FEW. FIRST THIS ACCOUNTS FOR MORE THAN HALF OF THE OVER 150 SONGS THEY RECORDED NO TWO SOUND ALIKE- AND THAT IS F**KING VERSATILITY FU YOU RASS BWOY.

WHEN THEY CAME ON THE SEEN IN 1985 AND 1986 THEY CREATED AN IMPACT IN THE EASTERN CARIBBEAN. THE CALYPSO AND SOCA MUSIC CHANGED. THEY GOT OTHER BANDS IN THE AREA STARTING TO USE RYTHM BOXES AND TEMPO BECAME FASTER AND MORE JOYOUS.

PERSONALLY I THINK THEIR BEST MUSIC CAME IN THE EARLY YEARS BECAUSE THEY PUT MORE OF IDEAS INTO THE MUSIC AND THEY MORE FOCUSED ON SOCA. IF YOU LISTEN TO SOME OF THEIR EARLY SONG LIKE RUDENESS MAKE ME(1986), JUMP HIGHER(1986), DON'T JAM SO(1986), CARNIVAL TRAIN(1987), IRON BAND(1987), JAMPOND(1987-ONE OF THE MOST SWEETESS, UNIQUE, AND CREATIVE TUNE), AND WE WANT JAM(1987). EACH OF THESE TUNES WERE UNIQUE AND CLEARLY SHOWS THAT THE FLAMES WERE AVANT-GARDE THAT IS AHEAD OF THEIR TIME.

SOME OTHER TUNES OF NOTE ARE NA FREAD(1989) AND KARATE(1990) WHICH USED ORIENTAL(CHINESE) MELODIES AND OUTLAW(1992) WHICH USED COUNTRY WESTERN . AGAIN SHOWING VERSATILITY.

THERE ARE OTHERS I COULD STILL TALK ABOUT BUT I AM TIRED OF TYPING.

THIS WAS ONE OF TWO BANDS INVITED TO CLINTON'S INGUARATION IN 1993 FROM THE CARIBBEAN THE OTHER BEING THIRD WORLD.

THIS BAND IS A MAJOR CORNERSTONE OF MUSIC IN THE CARIBBEAN IN GENERAL. THIS IS THE BAND THAT OTHER MUSICIANS STUDY BECAUSE I HEAR IN THEIR MUSIC.

SO TO OVERLOOK THIS BAND OR TO CONSIDER THEM AS SOME KIND OF CORNY BAND WILL AFFORD YOU AN OPPURTUNITY MISSED IN THE UNDERSTANDING OF SOCA MUSIC.

THE ONLY ARTIST FROM THE CARIBBEAN THAT SHOWED MORE VERSATILITY TO ME IS THE MIGHTY SPARROW.AND THEY MAYBE OTHERS BUT I CAN'T THINK OF THEM NOW.

SOME PEOPLE MAKE REFERENCE TO THEIR LACK OF STAGE PRESENCE. BUT THIS BAND PLAYS HIGH ENERGY MUSIC FOR HOURS CONTINUOUSLY SOMETHING THAT IS HUMANLY IMPOSSIBLE TO DO FOR HOURS. THAT IS JUST THEIR STYLE AND THAT IS WHY THEY ARE SO GOOD AT JAMMING ON THE ROAD.
    WHY THEIR MUSIC IS NOT MAKING IT BIG AS YOUR JAMAICAN SUPERSTARS. MEH NAH FU KNOW! BUT TO BORROW A FEW LYRICS FROM THEIR TUNE WHAT YOU FEEL IS WHAT YOU GET :
    " I DOES FEEL LIKE MAHATMA GAHNDI WHEN BURNING FLAMES MUSIC IS PUMPING IN MY BRAINS"

PEACE OUT

Credits

big up yourself

yeah man (or woman, i eh know)...good argument...dem wikked...maybe the best overall band now musically. i know they're riddems are the best, songs may be the best too...i just now really startin to listen to them, they're cd is GREAT, one of the cd's i've ever heard...we like it...we like it wet!

it amazes me throughout your entire arguement you didn't even mention what i think is their biggest tune ever...a small thing that is still played now...swingin engine..

TriniSpice

RE: big up yourself

More power to ya BFFan. Barry not only needs to get his ears checked, because the Burnig Flames are wicked, but he needs to go check his sources again because what ever or who ever gave him the impression that the Burning Flames are corny, don't know good music when they hear it.

Credits

RE: BARRY, YOU NA FU KNOW THIS BAND TAHL

Strong argument BFFan. I love the Flames. And you didn't even mention, Workey Workey, Boxer Shorts, and Island Girl (the leading song to Weekend at Bernie's). When it comes to versatility, this band has it! Done!

Credits

YEAH, YEAH ROTI !

THANKS ROTI,

SORRY FOR TAKINGSO LONG TO RESPOND I JUST BEEN TIRED THESE LAST COUPLE DAYS.

THAT'S WHY I FORGOT TO MENTION SWINGING ENGINE. THESE GUYS RECORDED IT IN 1994 AND IT BECAME A BIG HIT FOR THEM IN 1996 IN TRINI AND OTHER PARTS OF THE CARIBBEAN.

AH HAVE A QUESTION FOR YOU. I DON'T SEE OUNGKU AS VOCAL PERFORMER/STAGE PERFORMER MORE THAN A MUSICIAN-THIS MEANING THAT I DONT SEE HIM COMPETING IN A SOCA MONARCH COMPETITION PROBABLY HIS BROTHER ONYAN WOULD HAVE DONE IT. DESPITE THAT-DO YOU THINK HE WOULD HAVE PLACED IF HE COMPETED IN 1996 WITHSWINGING ENGINE?

TAKE CARE

Credits

R2 I MENTION ISLAND GIRL

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Feb-01-01 AT 11:46 PM (EST)[/font][p]AND WEEKEND AT BERNIE'S 2 BUT MAYBE I DID NOT MADE THAT CLEAR. ALSO I SHOULD HAVE MADE IT CLEAR THAT WORKEY WAS PART OF THE SOUNDTRACK FOR THE MOVIE LUNATIC WHICH WAS MADE IN JAMAICA.

BUT MEH HAVE FU ASK R2D2, AH YOU ONE AH DEM PACEMAN WHO AH CUM DONG PON EARTH FU JAM IN FLAMES IRONBAND IN 1987?

OH JUST KIDDING.

AH KNOW DID NOT MENTION BOXERSHORTS WHICH WAS ANOTHER HIGH QUALITY TUNE.

PEACE.

Credits

MEH NA NO WAH WRONG WIT HIM

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Feb-01-01 AT 11:57 PM (EST)[/font][p]SEE MEH NA HEAR FROM HIM YET.

HE MUS HE LAUGHING TO HIMSELF SAYING LAYTAH FOR ME CORNY BLOODCLOT!!

THATS ALRIGHT THOUGH. FLAMES MUSIC SPEAK FOR ITSELF.

I WANDER IF HE KNOW HOW WELL FLAMES CAN PLAY JAMAICAN MUSIC.

PEACE OUT!

Credits

Precious Gyal

barry

i see........ i will research .....

very well reasoned arguement.
    to be fair. i am not familiar with thier early work.
    i know the last 3 albums.
    i will try an get access to the older material an give a broader opinion.
    i still feel that is the last 3 albums were their entire catalog..they would be a mediocre group at best.
    magician was a mediocre brain dead song.
    but i respect your opinion. an more importantly i respect that you are knowledgeable of the history of your favorite group as opposed to some of the dumb idiots on the board who defend because they like 1 song.
    respect