Thread: barbados poet wins prestigious award

SocaIrish

barbados poet wins prestigious award

Kamau Brathwaite won the $50,000 prize in the international poetry category from the Canadian-based Griffin Trust for Poetry for his work "Born to Slow Horses."

Judges’ Citation

“To read Kamau Brathwaite is to enter into an entire world of human histories and natural histories, beautiful landscapes and their destruction, children’s street songs, high lyricism, court documents, personal letters, literary criticism, sacred rites, eroticism and violence, the dead and the undead, confession and reportage. An epic of one man (containing multitudes) in the African diaspora, Brathwaite’s world even has its own orthography and typography, demanding total attention to the poem, forbidding casual glances. Born to Slow Horses is a major book from a major poet. Here political realities turn into musical complexities, voices overlap, history becomes mythology, spirits appear in photographs. And, in it what may well be the first enduring poem on the disaster of 9/11, Manhattan becomes another island in the poet’s personal archipelago, as the sounds of Coleman Hawkins transform into the words and witnesses and survivors. Throughout Born to Slow Horses, as in his earlier books, Brathwaite has invented a new linguistic music for subject matter that is all his own.”

Credits

dev
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by SocaIrish
    Kamau Brathwaite won the $50,000 prize in the international poetry category from the Canadian-based Griffin Trust for Poetry for his work "Born to Slow Horses."

Judges’ Citation

“To read Kamau Brathwaite is to enter into an entire world of human histories and natural histories, beautiful landscapes and their destruction, children’s street songs, high lyricism, court documents, personal letters, literary criticism, sacred rites, eroticism and violence, the dead and the undead, confession and reportage. An epic of one man (containing multitudes) in the African diaspora, Brathwaite’s world even has its own orthography and typography, demanding total attention to the poem, forbidding casual glances. Born to Slow Horses is a major book from a major poet. Here political realities turn into musical complexities, voices overlap, history becomes mythology, spirits appear in photographs. And, in it what may well be the first enduring poem on the disaster of 9/11, Manhattan becomes another island in the poet’s personal archipelago, as the sounds of Coleman Hawkins transform into the words and witnesses and survivors. Throughout Born to Slow Horses, as in his earlier books, Brathwaite has invented a new linguistic music for subject matter that is all his own.”

Long overdue...the man is a genius. his Tribute to Mikey Smith, the late Jamaican poet, is without doubt one of the most inspirational poems I have ever read.

Here are some of his words.

MEXICAN BEA DIARES.

As his wife is dying of cancer he is caught between the happiness she gave and the sadness she will leave.

I sit here on the edge of tears, her beautiful face reaching out for me..my lips trembling as I kiss her.

Mickey Smith--cruxified on stoney hill

when the stones fall from john crow sky.
    I did die at first
    but all in my mouth was something
    like feathers

I could see my mother
    and I SHOUTED
    but no one answered

I was the stone
    that kill me.**

(paraphrased--I cannot remember all the words)

WALTER RODNEY

To be blown into fragments
    like the islands and sea wall you love.

My favourite poet.