Thread: Barbados PM says no to Mavado, Vybz Kartel show

Links30

Barbados PM says no to Mavado, Vybz Kartel show

FOLLOWING weeks of intense public debate and front page headlines in Barbados, the Mavado, Vybz Kartel unity concert scheduled for this weekend has been officially cancelled.

Prime Minister David Thompson made the announcement at a press conference held yesterday, exactly two days before the event. Thompson is quoted in the Barbados Advocate as saying: "That quest to do the right thing by Barbadians prompted my request for the meeting with the organisers of the proposed show and I am happy to announce that in deference to the expressed wishes and the anxieties of a very wide cross-section of Barbadians, that the organisers of the Mavado/Vybz Kartel show and Youth Forum have agreed to the revamping of initiatives resulting in the cancellation of this weekend's activities."

The prime minister said that persons were mainly concerned with the idea of these artistes being portrayed as role models.

"Don't leave here in any doubt; anything that has to be done to protect our children in this country will be done," he stressed.

Interestingly, Vybz Kartel, the Gaza president and Mavado, the Gully god performed in Barbados on separate occasions in October and November of last year, during what was then the height of Gully/Gaza tensions between them and their respective supporters. No attempt was reportedly made then by the government nor the police to prevent those concerts, which progressed incident-free.

There have been suggestions in some quarters that the cancellation stemmed in part from the fact that the promoter, Jack Farrell, is Vincentian and therefore should not have been the one to promote an event of this magnitude in Barbados.

"Mavado and Kartel sharing the same stage at a concert promoting peace and unity is huge by any standards. That is a sell-off event. And you must remember that there is a big reggae show in April, put on by promoters based here in Barbados," a source explained.

The commissioner of police, Darwin Dottin had stated initially that he did not have the manpower to police the show, and would therefore not grant the required permit.

That, however, was subsequently reversed and Farrell, who was named as joint promoter with the government-affiliated Barbados Youth Action Programme, subsequently resumed his planning for the event.

Farrell reportedly stated yesterday that the artistes had been booked to arrive in the island last night, but it was not clear whether or not they had actually left Jamaica for Barbados.

Farrell had said previously that a cancellation of the show would mean a loss of more than $200,000 for his company.

"I have invested a lot of money in this show, I've paid the artistes deposits, paid for advertising the show and paid for airline tickets and hotel accommodation, among other things," Farrell reportedly said.

He said the show would bring needed revenue into the country and enhance business for a number of interests such as boutiques and food vendors.

Credits
    Anying weh gwaan ah foreign ah di yardy get di blame...

Links30
    Boi fyah, i don't know rasta, but seriously, i soughta not really feeling this new so call dancehall thing nowadays anyway. Even kartel lost points for with that sucking hood pic, dude look like a crackhead n chicks like these types of dudes? apart from that i guess no one didn't see the black pumps he has where de girl was slopping all ova that shit, she better go get tested. stueps anyways dag, many ppl feel that these guys should not be promoted as being seen as role models because they definitely not. I doe blame the Barbados PM, being taking advantage of and making tons of under the table money from the Vincy. lol dem sneaky yuh hear, so yea, i don't think it is a matter of Jamaicans being blamed for almost everything, but people are getting tired of the constant negativity, we have a black man as president and its time for the black nations to rise higher and out of the gutta mentality, the less you promote it, the less of the ignorance one will have to endure. So kudos to the Barbados PM, he understands and care of the younger generation of his country to not be influenced by such trash of music ppl tend to bob de heads to nowadays.

Credits
    Bago, let me ask you this.

Why don't you like current day Dancehall?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Bago20 View Post
    Boi fyah, i don't know rasta, but seriously, i soughta not really feeling this new so call dancehall thing nowadays anyway. Even kartel lost points for with that sucking hood pic, dude look like a crackhead n chicks like these types of dudes? apart from that i guess no one didn't see the black pumps he has where de girl was slopping all ova that shit, she better go get tested.
    First of all ... wah yuh did? Go look pon dih man cacky wid ah microscope or someting?! Sorry boss... mi nah inspect no man cacky.

stueps anyways dag, many ppl feel that these guys should not be promoted as being seen as role models because they definitely not. I doe blame the Barbados PM, being taking advantage of and making tons of under the table money from the Vincy. lol dem sneaky yuh hear, so yea, i don't think it is a matter of Jamaicans being blamed for almost everything, but people are getting tired of the constant negativity, we have a black man as president and its time for the black nations to rise higher and out of the gutta mentality, the less you promote it, the less of the ignorance one will have to endure. So kudos to the Barbados PM, he understands and care of the younger generation of his country to not be influenced by such trash of music ppl tend to bob de heads to nowadays.
    But might he not also have lost a business man who did nothing wrong $200,000 US? Are they going to reimburse him? Why didnt they make sure than no one prooted any shows with these artists? Why did they wait until the man done promote and sell ticket and ting? Why were these same artists allowed to perform when they were at the heights of their animosity and now when they are united they are banned?! Weird huh? Sounds like convenient censorship to me... but whatever... Mavado and Kartel will be just fine. Their music is right there in Barbados ANYWAY yuh look at it.

Links30
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiyah View Post
    First of all ... wah yuh did? Go look pon dih man cacky wid ah microscope or someting?! Sorry boss... mi nah inspect no man cacky.

But might he not also have lost a business man who did nothing wrong $200,000 US? Are they going to reimburse him? Why didnt they make sure than no one prooted any shows with these artists? Why did they wait until the man done promote and sell ticket and ting? Why were these same artists allowed to perform when they were at the heights of their animosity and now when they are united they are banned?! Weird huh? Sounds like convenient censorship to me... but whatever... Mavado and Kartel will be just fine. Their music is right there in Barbados ANYWAY yuh look at it.
    Bredrin, i ent no cocky expert like u ok, but when u click on the link in that thread to take u to the uncensored photos, even a blind bat can see that shit. 2nd, why should the Barbados govt reimburse him? did the promoter take it upon himself to know the amount of attendees and see if there would be adequate protection for the crowd of ppl? If anything terrible should happen in that event, then it would be more than just 200k the promoter has to worry about and could possibly face criminal charges.

Apart from the height of what eva they didn't ban them and now they united they want to ban them, i just think news and entertainment get around to these politicians ah bit late. U sit down and listen to the lyrics carefully, it is pretty much the same things i done hear from bounty killa when i was in my teens. Nothing new, nothing creativity, nothing innovative but either way, it is their country and they can allow or deny who eva they wish.

Credits
    The govt need to refund the promoter his money.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Bago20 View Post
    Bredrin, i ent no cocky expert like u ok, but when u click on the link in that thread to take u to the uncensored photos, even a blind bat can see that shit. 2nd, why should the Barbados govt reimburse him? did the promoter take it upon himself to know the amount of attendees and see if there would be adequate protection for the crowd of ppl? If anything terrible should happen in that event, then it would be more than just 200k the promoter has to worry about and could possibly face criminal charges.

Apart from the height of what eva they didn't ban them and now they united they want to ban them, i just think news and entertainment get around to these politicians ah bit late. U sit down and listen to the lyrics carefully, it is pretty much the same things i done hear from bounty killa when i was in my teens. Nothing new, nothing creativity, nothing innovative but either way, it is their country and they can allow or deny who eva they wish.
    How do you know he did not? Apparently similar shows were put on with no attendee problems or safety issues. No incidents. And like you said... why now all of a sudden?! Ah feel is di Vincy bwoy dem wah sabotage. Watch how Mavado and Kartel in Barbados by next year this time... watch.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Abughani View Post
    The govt need to refund the promoter his money.
    Certainly seems that way don't it?

dev
    Credits
    Certainly seems that way don't it?
    There's a thing call Insurance.

Let them go suck salt.

Credits
    It is time for people from all countries to ban Vybz Kartel and Movado, they are two disgusting performers who spew hate and do nothing but negatively influence the youths. If Bob was alive he would have been disgusted by these two.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Man of Mystery View Post
    It is time for people from all countries to ban Vybz Kartel and Movado, they are two disgusting performers who spew hate and do nothing but negatively influence the youths. If Bob was alive he would have been disgusted by these two.
    And I am obsessed. lol.

Credits
    And I am obsessed. lol.
    Hey I am not attacking country,I am attacking personalities. What people on this board need to do is seperate personality from country and then people would get along.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Man of Mystery View Post
    Hey I am not attacking country,I am attacking personalities. What people on this board need to do is seperate personality from country and then people would get along.
    Very well said Man of Mystery. I can't agree with you more.

T-MAKAA
    Lol