Thread: Barbados Needs To Get A Grip

Credits

Thumbs down Barbados Needs To Get A Grip

No Drinking! - Tuesday 29, June-2004

Ronnie Clarke, Starcom's associate manager of radio services.

by Julia Rawlins
    Drinking Rum has been banned.

Out of 156 songs submitted to Starcom Network for this year’s Crop-Over Festival, the song which is sung by Contone has been refused airplay while six others were flagged for editing.

Those flagged include Ya Muddah; Is This The Same Barbados?; My Buddy; Who Is You?, and two others which are still to be edited and are not being played.

Making reference to Drinking Rum, associate manager of radio services Ronnie Clarke said the radio station would not be playing any songs which promoted drinking to that level.

However, My Buddy by Dunz is expected to be back on the air by today, while Who Is You? by Speedmaster and Is This The Same Barbados? by Foreigner Frank and Holly, were edited and are already back on air.

Madd’s hit, Ya Muddah, also underwent some changes and has a new name. Ya Muddah Say. Clarke said the term Ya Muddah was the No. 1 phrase considered by Barbadians as blasphemy and a combination of “cuss words”.

He likened it to the 1984 song, The Roof Is On Fire, in which the original version is never played on air.

Clarke explained that after the radio station drew its concerns to the attention of Peter Boyce and Eric Lewis of Madd, alterations were made to the title of the song and a conch shell effect inserted in the chorus within 48 hours.

“We try not to dismiss a song totally if it can have some redemption,” he said.

He added that Madd’s song technically was not cursing, but that did not mean it was suitable for airplay.

During an interview with the DAILY NATION yesterday, Clarke said an overwhelming majority of songs so far were from new artistes, as the more “seasoned” performers were yet to release their music.

However, he described them as being co-operative about the changes to be made to their songs, bringing back the edited version within 24 to 48 hours.

“Where the artiste is shown the difficulty and it is explained, they do not react in a ‘don’t-carish’ manner,” he said.

He added that the artistes should be congratulated for their maturity, with one notable exception.

“We still have to be aware that we have a level of responsibility and decency,” Clarke said, adding Starcom held 80 per cent of the radio market.

However, he noted that Crop-Over music was not the only music vetted. “The hip hop heard on HOTT FM is edited when necessary, and in a number of instances some are not cleared for airplay,” he said.

However, he said the majority of songs presented were cleared.

Several attempts to contact Linda Walrond at the Caribbean Broadcasting Corporation proved unsuccessful.

Credits
    you should read soca chat sometime:p

i sort of agree with them, i am not saying that alcohol is like drug but can do as much damage if not even more damage then drug since it is not illegal.i think they should sing about drinking safely and responsably!

Credits
    Wot aload of bollox, last year on radio i could hear the song called "i want to suck a bobbie",yet talking about rum is banned.

MrBlackRock
    alcoholism is de number one killer of bajans...

de bim govt doing its best to shut down radical behavior and ruffian nonsense........ to have an incident free crop over. but then again i doan drink

Credits
    [QUOTE=Chipz]Wot aload of bollox, last year on radio i could hear the song called "i want to suck a bobbie",yet talking about rum is banned.

[/QUOT

amm its "i want a sucka bobbie" which is a ice snack or kool aid frozen in a bag that is y he got a way with it

Credits
    [QUOTE=Musicdogg]
    Quote Originally Posted by Chipz
    Wot aload of bollox, last year on radio i could hear the song called "i want to suck a bobbie",yet talking about rum is banned.

[/QUOT

amm its "i want a sucka bobbie" which is a ice snack or kool aid frozen in a bag that is y he got a way with it
    wah dey call woman top part in bim not bobbies!!!

Credits
    stupes......

RUM TIL I DIE
    RUM TIL I DIE
    RUM TIL I DIE

Credits
    Howcome I never hear a soca tune about ganja? Like soca lover nah smoke ganja...please..

Alcohol do more damage anyways, but hey we are all adults, so why not let the music be music and play it~!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBloopers
    Howcome I never hear a soca tune about ganja? Like soca lover nah smoke ganja...please..

Alcohol do more damage anyways, but hey we are all adults, so why not let the music be music and play it~!
    There are tunes about ganja...I can't recall any lately but back in 2001...Mary Juana & some tune on the Best riddim. Few others I can't seem to think of right now.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Rummy
    There are tunes about ganja...I can't recall any lately but back in 2001...Mary Juana & some tune on the Best riddim. Few others I can't seem to think of right now.

Interesting..not that I smoke anyways!!