Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Barack and Michelle relationship causes Twitter gender war?

DSP
    Credits

Barack and Michelle relationship causes Twitter gender war?

Ridiculous: Why Does The Desire For A “Barack And Michelle Relationship” Result In A Black Twitter Gender War?
    September 6th, 2012 - By Alissa Henry

Source: grantland.com

Tonight, Obama will take the stage at the Democratic National Convention to deliver his primetime speech. While some will be talking about his policies and others will be comparing his speech to Romney’s, Black Twitter will undoubtedly be erupting with the predictable “I want a Barack!” and “I want a Michelle!” tweets.

Back when the President was a relatively unknown Senator running for the highest office, he and Michelle’s loving and respectful relationship made headlines. Soon, the couple became the prototype for Black Love. Now, they are continually praised as an example of true love in a country where positive Black marriages are not displayed often enough. Because they’re the First Family, there’s no hiding their relationship and, because they’re obviously really into each other, there’s no hiding their love.

While most choose to simply admire the First Couple’s relationship, others choose to hijack it and use it as a weapon against members of the opposite sex. Before Mrs. Obama finished her speech on Tuesday night, positivity was all but completely drowned out by the Battle of the Sexes that raged via Twitter. Social media pundits reported that mentions of the first lady peaked at 28,003 tweets per minute. At least half of those tweets probably had nothing to do with her speech at all but was Black Twitter going back and forth about wanting a “Michelle and Barack relationship”.

While some of these tweets are pure comedy, it kind of makes me sad the way we take a positive situation and use it to negatively attack each other. Michelle Obama didn’t speak Tuesday for men to hate every women they know personally. The example President Obama is setting should inspire not cause every woman to tear down the men she knows who she doesn’t believe are on his level. Taking to Twitter to disrespect other people is a pretty ironic way to exemplify one’s desire to have a respectful relationship.

Besides, is there really anyone who inherently doesn’t “deserve” a good relationship? Are there people who aren’t good enough to want a good marriage? Even a past philanderer like former President Bill Clinton (with an admirable wife of his own) admired President Obama’s wife. So, why can’t we just be glad that the young Black community still recognizes true love without having to point out reasons why some are hypocritical for desiring it?

Honestly, I don’t think people want that relationship in particular anyway. That First Lady life is tougher than Michelle Obama makes it look with all the hate (and even death threats!) thrown in their direction. That couple has been through a lot over the years, probably more than they’d wish on their worst enemy.

I’m sure that when most people say they want a “Michelle” or a “Barack” they’re just expressing interest in having someone who they can love, respect and support who also loves, respects and supports them — and looks great doing it — no matter what careers or dreams they’re pursuing. What’s wrong with that? It’s important to have positive relationships to look up to and aspire toward in a world of 41-day marriages and “is you gon’ marry a n*gga” marriage proposals. The Obamas certainly don’t have the successful relationship thing on lock, but theirs is one of the most visible marriages in the country and I think it’s pretty cool that so many say they want to have a relationship like that.

Though the Battle of the Sexes is certain to rage on tonight during President Obama’s speech punctuated with hilarity and biting sarcasm, I hope that in real life people aren’t discouraged from their desire for true love and that they’ll continue to hope the best for themselves and for others.

What do you think? Did you notice all the “Barack/Michelle” relationship tweets?

Follow Alissa on Twitter @AlissaInPink or check out her blog This Cannot Be My Life
    Unfortunately, stupidity and ignorance can be entertaining.

Goodle this you 50 year old crusty vagina

--oh yes jigger boozers ever lasting wahr with the "lovers of empresses and hafrican queens" should be ashamed ~jigga boozy aka Carlo Pagan

--I like disrespect especially ones that dont involve cursing and nugga nugga nugga watch subject matter ~jigga boozy aka Carlo Pagan

DSP
    Credits
    It starts off innocent enough:

Then someone takes it there:

With that, all Twhell (Twitter Hell) breaks loose and here are just a few of the gems:

--oh yes jigger boozers ever lasting wahr with the "lovers of empresses and hafrican queens" should be ashamed ~jigga boozy aka Carlo Pagan

--I like disrespect especially ones that dont involve cursing and nugga nugga nugga watch subject matter ~jigga boozy aka Carlo Pagan

DSP
    Credits

Source: Twitter.com

Credits
    I don't think people really know Mrs Obama. If you just look at her career you can tell that she is well connected, highly political and probably influences a lot more than we realise.
    ladyrastafari likes this.

Taj
    Credits
    this is ridiculous that after the speech this is what predominates but that steebbie joseline one was funny tho
    “A sharp knife never proclaims it’s sharpness to the world…but the first to fall against it becomes it’s advocate.”

You can put any face behind a mask but be careful cos someone else might be pretending. You might not be the only one with a secret -- Cassie/Gretel

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Taj View Post
    this is ridiculous that after the speech this is what predominates but that steebbie joseline one was funny tho
    werd!
    Our Queen went to sleep, her people left to weep....in song she lives on.

Long Live the Queen!

LB
    Credits
    and the irony of each gender attacking the other because they arent as "respectful and loving" as Michelle or Barack, is just astounding. Shyt makes me shake my head from the stupidity.
    Triniminx and mz_JazE like this.
    ~ If you make the mountain any bigger you wont be able to move it later

Credits
    If both sides stop saying the other has no right to speak because of xyz wrong with their side, and realize BOTH SIDES ARE RIGHT, they might get past what's wrong and start figuring how to be one of the "what's right"s...or how to accept people not perfect and find THEIR match.

Most of America is not Harvard Law school material. Period.

So they can start there and get to the point where they are batting in their league.

Or set up a strategy to get into a better league, and sort it out.

But really, who are the typical black people that are doing this back and forth on twitter anyway?

The tweet about girls who want Barack but their instagram is full of pics of them twerking etc...I wonder if the girls who want a Barack will take the clue the guys are handing them for free and delete all such pics and come again?

Nope, they want to live like Kim and be respected like Michelle.

Kim wants to be Michelle too, in case they didn't know. They better skip past her growing pains and get straight to the point. While there is still time. And they can start by not wasting their daytime going back and forth with guys who call them b*tches and h*es, and start doing something to get them into Michelle status if that's what they really want. Men same thing, go achieve something meaningful and stop watching the instagram twerking pics. Take note of how Barack didn't have time for that b.s., and no girl's coming out to the tabloids with sexy texts he sent her when God was a baby...
    Who has eyes to see, let them see...

Black Madonna
    how many wars is this dude gonna be blamed for. This gender war was in full effect long before them. bitter, lonely people will always find an excuse to be miserable
    Triniminx and mz_JazE like this.

Credits
    wait.. who proposed to somebody saying 'is you gonna marry a nicca"?? 0_o
    Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

mi style still sharp .....u a A-Minor and dem a B-Flat

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyrastafari View Post
    wait.. who proposed to somebody saying 'is you gonna marry a nicca"?? 0_o
    Lawnmower mouth (c) You (LR) lolol Skrap proposed to Erica. I myself said "Huh!?..did he just say".
    Our Queen went to sleep, her people left to weep....in song she lives on.

Long Live the Queen!

Credits
    omg i watched it and at first i thought thats what i heard but i just shrugged it off and assumed that he asked her are you gonna marry me LOL.. omg
    Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

mi style still sharp .....u a A-Minor and dem a B-Flat

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by LB View Post
    and the irony of each gender attacking the other because they arent as "respectful and loving" as Michelle or Barack, is just astounding. Shyt makes me shake my head from the stupidity.
    Is not really stupid enuh, is a clear evidence of the HORRIBLE communication skills that are plaguing relationships in this country.

Everyone wants a respectful, loving person.

All races.

What black people want is not unique in that sense.

But neither side trusts the other and waiting to see proof of it from the other before they show it.

But they should decide to BE a loving and respectful person not to make it a condition of anyone else's behaviour. If he or she is a whore then don't deal with them if you can't respect them or love them, don't degrade and drop into the gutter just because they don't deserve whatever in your eyes.

Men are suppose to be leaders of homes in the future, they should lead by example. Be the stable one, mentally and otherwise, and is either she have to fall in line with how you run your ting or shi get LET GUH. There is no need to drop into "n*gga mode" because she rolled her eyes or neck. Lead by example. Be a leader and she must follow. And it does not mean be a doormat. Knowing how bad black families can be she may not have learned how to reason instead of cuss and degrade when she disagrees...lead by example. TELL her straight up it hard for you to maintain respect for a woman who cannot control her emotions and behaviour and decibel level especially in public...communicate you learned English use it. Everybody want this perfect person giftwrapped. That person if they exist likely deserves better than you...

When conversations begin with a man's approach to every woman as b*tch and ho and a one f*ck instead of wife material, friend, and irrelevant (for example), his negativity comes out even when he is not arguing, in subtly hostile ways and tones and approaches to conversation.

LB
    Credits
    You completely missed my point. It is ironic in the way the message is being delivered. Ppl cutting one another down et al. You cant expect anyone to be respectful and loving towards you if you cant behave the same way yourself. My point runs parallel to the one you are making.
    ~ If you make the mountain any bigger you wont be able to move it later

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by LB View Post
    You completely missed my point. It is ironic in the way the message is being delivered. Ppl cutting one another down et al. You cant expect anyone to be respectful and loving towards you if you cant behave the same way yourself. My point runs parallel to the one you are making.
    True.

I think they find it hard to act that way because of communities not having enough examples, and too many broken hearts/dreams...

Doesn't change your point, can't get it without giving it...so we'll hope some individuals stop trying to win twitter arguments and try to figure out a better way to get what they want...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast