Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bangladesh awards farmer who killed 83000 rats

Gladiator

Bangladesh awards farmer who killed 83000 rats

Attachment 58303

Bangladesh awards farmer who killed 83,000 rats
    By Julhas Alam (Associated Press)

Bangladesh on Wednesday awarded a farmer who killed more than 83,000 rats and launched a monthlong campaign nationwide to kill millions more, to protect crops and reduce the need for food imports. Mokhairul Islam, 40, won a first prize of a color television for killing some 83,450 rats in the past nine months in Gazipur district near the South Asian country's capital, Dhaka. He collected their tails for proof.

"I am so happy to get this honor," Islam told The Associated Press after receiving a 14-inch television and a certificate amid cheers at an official ceremony packed with 500 farmers and officials. "I had no idea that the government gives prizes for this."

"This is an exciting moment. I will continue to kill them," he vowed.

Officials say the impoverished nation imports some 3 million tons of food annually, while the Ministry of Agriculture estimates that rodents annually destroy 1.5 million to 2 million tons of food.

"We can cut the import of food by at least half if we can succeed in this year's campaign," said Wais Kabir, executive chairman of the Bangladesh Agriculture Research Council.

He asked everyone, especially farmers, to take on the killing mission as a sport. The government has said it will train mainly farmers and students for this year's campaign.

"Killing rats is not that easy, it needs training," Kabir said.

Islam said he mainly used poison to kill the rats at his poultry farm, and that the cull has paid off as the rodents now scavenged less.

"Previously I needed 33 sacks of poultry feed per week, now I need less than 30," he said.

Fakhrul Haque Akanda, a farmer from northern Bangladesh and the second-prize winner, killed some 37,450 rats mostly with traps, some he invented.

"These bloody rats are my enemy, they destroy my gardens," Akanda said.

"Please pray for me so that I can continue my mission, and teach and motivate others to join me," he told the audience before taking his prize, also a television.

Last year, the U.N. World Food Program launched a monthslong food aid project in the country's southeast after a plague of rats devoured rice crops.

Credits
    there are FOUR animals i would like to see wiped out from this planet: rats, bats, mosquitoes and snakes. dem four need to vanish and go to another planet. i dont like them one bit.

Spoogie
    Quote Originally Posted by BAJANFUHLIFE View Post
    there are FOUR animals i would like to see wiped out from this planet: rats, bats, mosquitoes and snakes. dem four need to vanish and go to another planet. i dont like them one bit.
    snakes ? thats so girly.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoogie View Post
    snakes ? thats so girly.
    stupse. why u didnt say sayin mosquitoes was girly?

Spoogie
    stupse. why u didnt say sayin mosquitoes was girly?
    Everybody hates them... Don't care about bats.. but snakes ? SNAKES ?? Most men think snakes are kool and interesting.. but you faggy bajan ? freak out whenever you hear about them... Whats your favourite color thong to wear to bed ?

Credits
    Everybody hates them... Don't care about bats.. but snakes ? SNAKES ?? Most men think snakes are kool and interesting.. but you faggy bajan ? freak out whenever you hear about them... Whats your favourite color thong to wear to bed ?
    u shoudlnt talk bout thongs boss

Spoogie
    Quote Originally Posted by bouyon king View Post
    u shoudlnt talk bout thongs boss
    You're right, you have all the authority on thongs.. okay thongs commander..take over.

Credits
    You're right, you have all the authority on thongs.. okay thongs commander..take over.
    arrite battyman

Spoogie
    arrite battyman
    You like talking with battyman ? Because everytime me post you run come quote me.

Credits
    u wish, anyways me gone. u can stay wit your battyman self

Spoogie
    u wish, anyways me gone. u can stay wit your battyman self
    Talk to you later, BK. I'm pretty sure you will be back following me all over.

Credits
    snakes are kool? btw, which snake u talkin about?

Credits
    If that's a pic of the size rats they're dealing with they need to get rid of them fast..my skin crawls just looking at it..That's the size of a kitten.

Credits
    suh yall dont want get rid of flies and roaches? Yall love those eh?
    joie de vivre

carpe diem

I can tell you a story bout my dyck but
    it would be way too long

Credits
    Snakes Eat Rats and Bats Eat mosquitos...
    Keep the Snakes and Bats..

Rats and Mosquitos gotta go though!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast