Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bajans could teach U.S. reading lessons

Credits

Arrow Bajans could teach U.S. reading lessons

"BARBADOS may be able to teach us (New York schools) something about getting students to read up to their age levels," according to one United States educator.

As head of America's largest single school district, it stands to reason that Joe Klein, chancellor of New York City's Department of Education, which has more than one million students in the public schools it runs, would be expected to know a thing or two about reading, writing and arithmetic.

So when he made that statement about Barbados and New York City to different gatherings in different parts of the city, even hardcore sceptics were forced to take note.

"As an attorney in private practice I visited Barbados and observed the ability of students there to read and I came away very impressed," he told the MIDWEEK NATION recently. "The students in Barbados know how to read. I was impressed."

With at least 300 000 of the city's one million-plus students reading below their age level, the issue of problem readers is considered acute.

But the education chief isn't alone.

Rod Paige, a former United States education secretary, the equivalent of Barbados' Minister of Education, said all of the relatively poor English-speaking Caribbean nations had higher rates of literacy than the United States. Although he didn't single out Barbados, it's understood that he included the country on his list.

According to some recent national studies, almost 30 million Americans over the age of 25 years cannot read or write at all. That's just fewer than ten per cent of the total population of 300 million.

A few days ago, CNN reported that as many as 40 million people in the United States were functionally illiterate, meaning they could not read at a level that would allow them to fill out a job application form, couldn't read a menu in a restaurant and were unable to follow simple written instructions.

Functional illiterates can read words but they can't comprehend their meanings or make decisions based on what they read.

The problem doesn't end there. It is estimated that ten million workers or 40 per cent of the people employed in small businesses have trouble doing their jobs because of their lack of basic skills in reading, writing and maths. Just as bad, 23 per cent of manufacturing workers and 11 per cent of management are functionally illiterate. Some educators complain that at least 700 000 students graduate annually from American high schools but are unable to read their diplomas.

While the US Department of Education said some time ago that 20 per cent of American adults were functionally illiterate, the United Nations 2005 Human Development Report told the world that Barbados had an adult illiteracy rate of less than one per cent. Stated another way, the world body said that the island's adult literacy rate was 99.7 per cent in 2003, the same as Slovenia, Latvia, but a notch lower than St Kitts-Nevis with 99.8 per cent. In the same year, UNICEF put the adult literacy rate in Barbados at 100 per cent.

The UN data figures support Paige's conclusion about the high level of literacy rates in the Caribbean.

The Bahamas 95.5 at per cent, Trinidad and Tobago 98.5, Grenada 96 and Guyana 96.5 per cent had some of the highest rates in the world. St Lucia with 90 per cent; Suriname, Dominica and St Vincent at 88 per cent; Jamaica 87.6 per cent and Antigua 85 per cent weren't too far behind.

The problem of literacy in America goes further:

* A new book, Religious Literacy: What Every American Needs To Know And Doesn't, reported that despite their strong claims to being a Christian nation, 60 per cent of Americans couldn't name five of the Ten Commandments and 50 per cent of high school seniors thought Sodom and Gomorrah were a married couple. Dr Stephen Prothero, chairman of the religion department at Boston University, wrote the book.

* About one-third of the people living in the United States capital were functionally illiterate

http://www.nationnews.com/story/323329866844204.php
    Agitate until we create a stable society that benefits all our people.
    Instigate the nation until we remedy the injustices of society.
    Motivate our people to set a meaningful path for coming generations.
    Educate our people to free our minds and develop our consciousness

Mwongozi Cudjoe (Chedmond Browne)
    Chairman of Free Montserrat United Movement

Credits
    de caribbean people aint close tuh being dunce...we brought up nice and proper and wit a head on our shoulders..

so CARIBBEAN PEOPLE BIG YUHSELF UP ON BEING SMART ..cuz we dont get the credit we deserve

Credits
    well the problem is that the new york city schools where not built for african americans or rather people of color

they where made for the immigrants that came here from europe. The factory workers children during the industrial revolution era.

when the eduction system started to become influxed with many people of color they changed up the education they received .

Its no mistake that countys outside of new york city get or where getting more federal and state funding then the inner city schools
    they know what they are doing they want to keep the conditons bad in the city schools.

Please this act of suprise that they have developed a whole set of illiterate adults is a joke.

Again they know what they are doing.

Its politics that they play with the education of this city and the country.

Joe Klein is an idiot.

The lottory was suppose to be for the school system i am yet to hear of any school i have worked in that gets anything from that.

The state money is based on the amount of students who sign up for free lunch and are eligible in each school.

Below refers to the school i am working in now

We just recieved the new science books for the 8the grade in december the 8th grade state science test starts april 16th.
    The lab equiment for them to do hands on labs just arrived 2 weeks ago

The 8th grades last year had no social studies text books
    this is because we had no funds.

please again they know what they are doing.

They got people who never taught before or who don't hold education degress as principal's all over new york city school system right now.

all u need is a master in something and a 6 months training.

Joe klein is an idiot.
    Last edited by pebblesjt; 03-30-2007 at 12:09 AM.
    "Give me the wine wine of of your life life make sure its right cause its carnival time time"

dev
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by bajanredman View Post
    de caribbean people aint close tuh being dunce...we brought up nice and proper and wit a head on our shoulders..

so CARIBBEAN PEOPLE BIG YUHSELF UP ON BEING SMART ..cuz we dont get the credit we deserve
    MAN, SPOKE FUH YUHSELF.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by dev View Post
    MAN, SPOKE FUH YUHSELF.

wait dev..you run into difficulty??

this comes up in my family all de time..espically wit math..people up hey so far behind wen we learn ting

its weird though.

btw i didnt want tuh sound bias when i said what i said

elq
    Credits
    MAN, SPOKE FUH YUHSELF.
    leff dah wun boa, dev........
    he got extra gooseberries in he pocket....

dev
    Credits
    wait dev..you run into difficulty??

this comes up in my family all de time..espically wit math..people up hey so far behind wen we learn ting

its weird though.

btw i didnt want tuh sound bias when i said what i said
    man, u en nuh bajan..you shud kno when i tawking shyte.

you got uh stale cornbeef sandwich in yuh larder.

dev
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by elq View Post
    leff dah wun boa, dev........
    he got extra gooseberries in he pocket....
    Uh cun resist tit..de fella allergic to crackling and bun bun.

WUHLOSSS!!!!

Credits
    Uh cun resist tit..de fella allergic to crackling and bun bun.

WUHLOSSS!!!!

wana doin me so nuh...you kno dey gine have people hey da gine sey dat dem country smarter den we one..look i good here

i allergic tuh jampuffs

dev
    Credits
    wana doin me so nuh...you kno dey gine have people hey da gine sey dat dem country smarter den we one..look i good here

i allergic tuh jampuffs
    we bajans en kay who seh w2uh..we kin write good english,but is de tawking we have trouble wid.

YOU ALLERGIC.

Toppa_Toppa
    MAN, SPOKE FUH YUHSELF.
    Ah glad to see yuh up and about. West Indies is stress eh?

Credits
    we bajans en kay who seh w2uh..we kin write good english,but is de tawking we have trouble wid.

YOU ALLERGIC.

i glad as $shyte tuh caw sometimes i does tawk geeze on bread and dey cant onstan' de owrds da comming outta my mout

my man contone is a good example a da..nuhbawy cant tell we nun...we dont stand fuh shyte ....

and dats why yuh cant mock bajan dialect

dev
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Toppa_Toppa View Post
    Ah glad to see yuh up and about. West Indies is stress eh?
    uh caan sleep..i trying to do some webbing to tek my mind off de drubbing we get today.. 177. and de RALLYYYY song gone pun mute..schruppeess. uh vex.

dev
    Credits
    i glad as $shyte tuh caw sometimes i does tawk geeze on bread and dey cant onstan' de owrds da comming outta my mout

my man contone is a good example a da..nuhbawy cant tell we nun...we dont stand fuh shyte ....

and dats why yuh cant mock bajan dialect
    you kno standpipe college near de gar-sun? well i went to school there/

Toppa_Toppa
    uh caan sleep..i trying to do some webbing to tek my mind off de drubbing we get today.. 177. and de RALLYYYY song gone pun mute..schruppeess. uh vex.
    Me eh know WHAT to say bout West Indies nah.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast