Thread: Bahamas ads axed from NYC subways

To know me is to love me tropicalbeauty's Avatar tropicalbeauty is offline
    Credits

Bahamas ads axed from NYC subways

NEW YORK (AP) -- -- Crammed into subway cars with hundreds of other commuters during the morning rush, New Yorkers have cultivated all kinds of fantasies about what they would rather be doing -- but acting on them is another matter.

Officials are axing advertisements that playfully urge subway riders to pretend they're on vacation -- showing cartoon figures fly fishing on the tracks and lounging across subway seats.

The ads, part of a Bahamas Ministry of Tourism campaign, "advocate behavior that is clearly unsafe" and will be replaced, said Jodi Senese, a spokeswoman for CBS Outdoor, the company that distributes advertising in New York's underground.

Under the heading "Instant Escape No. 2: How to Fly Fish with a Scarf and a Cell Phone," one ad seems to instruct riders to fish for trash on the tracks by putting something sticky on a cell phone and attaching it to a scarf.

Another sign in the series, "How to Turn a Subway Seat into a Hammock," shows a figure draped over several seats.

Track fishing and seat hogging are both forbidden by the Metropolitan Transportation Authority's official rules.

Senese told The New York Times that the Bahamas campaign escaped her company's notice because tourism ads do not usually require heavy scrutiny. The ads are plastered throughout as many as a quarter of the city's 6,210 subway cars.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Credits
    dey really think that ppl would actually do this stuff?

but then again, yuh never know. there are stupid ppl out there, sad 2 say.

I want ah break
    Quote Originally Posted by tropicalbeauty
    NEW YORK (AP) -- -- Crammed into subway cars with hundreds of other commuters during the morning rush, New Yorkers have cultivated all kinds of fantasies about what they would rather be doing -- but acting on them is another matter.

Officials are axing advertisements that playfully urge subway riders to pretend they're on vacation -- showing cartoon figures fly fishing on the tracks and lounging across subway seats.

The ads, part of a Bahamas Ministry of Tourism campaign, "advocate behavior that is clearly unsafe" and will be replaced, said Jodi Senese, a spokeswoman for CBS Outdoor, the company that distributes advertising in New York's underground.

Under the heading "Instant Escape No. 2: How to Fly Fish with a Scarf and a Cell Phone," one ad seems to instruct riders to fish for trash on the tracks by putting something sticky on a cell phone and attaching it to a scarf.

Another sign in the series, "How to Turn a Subway Seat into a Hammock," shows a figure draped over several seats.

Track fishing and seat hogging are both forbidden by the Metropolitan Transportation Authority's official rules.

Senese told The New York Times that the Bahamas campaign escaped her company's notice because tourism ads do not usually require heavy scrutiny. The ads are plastered throughout as many as a quarter of the city's 6,210 subway cars.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
    yuh miss that?

Credits
    I hope my government gets its money back.

Satisfaction Facilitator Terryfabulous's Avatar Terryfabulous is offline
    Credits
    my think is did the stuff have to get approved first before they actually allowed them on the train...no bet some idiot (more than likely someone with money) made some sort of fuss so they decided to take them down....this is BS...i know these ads had to pass through all sort of loop holes before they got posted...

Credits
    I have to agree I think those ads are wrong for NY. You want someone to catch a shock from fishing or when I put up my size 13 and point to the picture you think the copd go say ok continue. Change up dem tings CBS

Credits
    funny, i was reading one of those ads and looking at the figure lay across the seats as if it was a hammock, and i was thinking, "only bums do that"
    lol.it was a tad inappropiate. hope thaey get a chance to reinvent themselves

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by zouk
    dey really think that ppl would actually do this stuff?

but then again, yuh never know. there are stupid ppl out there, sad 2 say.
    You never know...

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by tropicalbeauty

I'd like to see where this is written.
    ALLEZ LES BLEUS!!!

Credits
    People complain because they can, this is pure and utter BS...like Terryfabulous said someone with money felt the need to yap his trap. I don't see anything wrong with the ads, but like Essiquibo say I hope they get a chance to re-invent themselves. At least they making an effort to market their tourism industry, unlike one particular island that I honestly believe isn't doing enough. But that's another topic.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us."