Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baha Men

Credits

Baha Men

Good Morning, I don't know if this was a topic already. But this morning on Nickelodeon was showing the Baha Men's video to their song "Accident". I forget who originally sings the song but why they must redo everybody song?

Credits
    Sean C of Traffic sang the original. i hope he making money from it
    The saint and the sinner are just exchanging notes. Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.

The matador wins by avoiding the bull not colliding with him!

Credits
    Wait...Baha men take ah next tune now?

Credits
    There's nothing wrong with sampling, re-making, or mixing songs. But damn!!! Deh should at least try to establish some kind of creative ability on their own. Do they have any original songs???

Credits
    I think they have originall songs, but the songs they seem to put out on tv and do good with happen to belong to other people.

Credits
    Deh too watered- down I doh care for dem anyhow.

Credits
    i wonder the response they would get in a fete alongside bands like surface, traffik and atlantik 2 name a few. they probably do have original soca tunes, but i didn't hear them yet.

salt

Credits
    Originally posted by lordsalt
    i wonder the response they would get in a fete alongside bands like surface, traffik and atlantik 2 name a few. they probably do have original soca tunes, but i didn't hear them yet.

salt
    One set ah carib and guinness bottle on de stage. Dat would be de response deh would get. I don't think that true soca lovers want to hear dat water down sh!t dat deh does sing.

trinitat
    I saw the commercial on Nick too and was Like " wha de ass do dese people, dey cyah sing dey own songs?"

I hope that the soca artisis that allow these ppl to sing their songs realize how much these guys are blowing up singing other people's tunes and not acknowledging the original artistes at all. For example, when they won an award on Nick last year (yes, i love nickelodeon:p ) they made it seem like that song was all them and is really junkanoo (spelling?), which is Bahamian music. They may be black and they may be west indian but they can exploit like anybody else!

SSS
    Credits
    well it the only taste of soca music that the world getting for now.

SAD SAD SAD

And of course we criticizing

Credits
    Originally posted by trinitat
    I saw the commercial on Nick too and was Like " wha de ass do dese people, dey cyah sing dey own songs?"

I hope that the soca artisis that allow these ppl to sing their songs realize how much these guys are blowing up singing other people's tunes and not acknowledging the original artistes at all. For example, when they won an award on Nick last year (yes, i love nickelodeon:p ) they made it seem like that song was all them and is really junkanoo (spelling?), which is Bahamian music. They may be black and they may be west indian but they can exploit like anybody else!
    I agree. I think that soca artists shouldn't even allow our music to be exploited this way. We get absolutely no kind of creative recognition for the work. They go out there and water down the music and have America thinking that this is "Bahamian" music.

Credits
    Originally posted by SSS
    well it the only taste of soca music that the world getting for now.

SAD SAD SAD

And of course we criticizing
    I don't consider what they sing to be soca music at all. When I hear it, I don't feel like whining. So dat crap is not soca.

Credits
    so what is the solution here if we get vex watching baha men blow up over soca's original tunes?

should sparrow/shadow or any other predominant calypsonian release a 'crossover' tune of 1 of their songs in hopes 4 xposure 2 a wider market such as the baha men have accomplished?

or maybe a calysponian remake a popular 'pop' (double entendre) tune in hopes of getting out there and then pushing calypsoca music when they've reached a wider audience?

just some thoughts...

salt

Credits
    so what is the solution here if we get vex watching baha men blow up over soca's original tunes?

should sparrow/shadow or any other predominant calypsonian release a 'crossover' tune of 1 of their songs in hopes 4 xposure 2 a wider market such as the baha men have accomplished?

or maybe a calysponian remake a popular 'pop' (double entendre) tune in hopes of getting out there and then pushing calypsoca music when they've reached a wider audience?

just some thoughts...

salt
    My only problem with the Baha Men is.... If you want to sing sh!t, sing yuh own sh!t and let the rest of the world call it whatever they want. But don't take the art of our soca music and turn it into the crap dat you singing and present it to the world.

Credits

just some thoughts...

salt

That's a good point. What if Sean or Anslem before him did their tune over (just a remix) so that it would appeal to a broader audience, would it have blown up like it did for Bahamen?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast