Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backstabbering The Caribbean Cruise Industry

Credits

Backstabbering The Caribbean Cruise Industry

I BET THE UNKNOWN ISLAND IS BARBADOS.

FIYAH BUN DEM "FUNNY TAWKING" Bajans.

Then again, it MIGHT be dem GRENADIANS.

FIRE BUN dem NUTMEG SMELLING GREENZ peeps.

Beache warns that islands need united approach to cruise tourism

Tuesday, 23 October 2007
    St. Vincent's Tourism Minister Glen Beache is accusing some unnamed Caribbean islands of "backstabbing" and warned that unless the region develops a united approach it would not benefit significantly from the cruise ship sector.

Beache told the Caribbean Media Corporation (CMC) that the performance of the sector in St. Vincent and the Grenadines was on the decline this year and the future does not look bright given the refusal of cruise operators to give his country a better deal.

Beache said that St. Vincent and the Grenadines had the disadvantage of being so far south that its was virtually second to last on the schedule of stops.

He said that made negotiations difficult as is the case of obtaining any form of support from cruise operators who have not shown a willingness to give anything back to the island.

"To get one of these companies to contribute to the upkeep of one of the sites where cruise visitors frequent, far more than even locals or stay over visitors, is like pulling teeth," Beache noted.
    "In addition many of these tours are sold on the ships for US$99 but our tour operators are only paid US$8 or $9," he said.

Beache said that what is worse is the attitude of unnamed neighbouring countries that were obviously willing to bend over backwards to accommodate the cruise lines even at the expense of violating the negotiated positions of their next door neighbours.

"Don't get me wrong, we certainly want and need the cruise ships to come here as they contribute to the economic development of the country, but don't expect me to sell the soul of the country to get them here," Beache said.

He said that the Caribbean had wasted time in the context of how it has dealt with the cruise lines, "as there was still too much backstabbing".

Beache did not name the cruise operator, but said that a particular cruise line had negotiated a certain arrangement with his government but never arrived after it was offered free water and garbage disposal and a reduced head tax by one of its neighbours.

"It makes no sense mentioning names, because we are all guilty of this, but there is a certain point my government is not willing to go beyond to get cruise lines to visit St. Vincent despite how badly the economy needs them.

"We have to stop stabbing each other in the back and find common ground in our negotiations with the cruise sector as this is the only way we will obtain maximum benefit by working together," he said.
    He said that there were destinations that were more popular with cruise lines and would obviously do better than others.

But Beache warned that until the Caribbean presents a unified position, the region would not benefit significantly from the cruise sector.

CMC
    Last edited by VINCYPOWA; 10-24-2007 at 12:56 PM.

Credits
    I like the Vincy politicians, cause they not afraid to say what the deal is. Seriously though, they need to say screw you to the cruise lines. Their passengers hardly spend any damn money. Only the taxi men make some real dollars if they get tours. The tourist that make the ountry money are those that come and stay over night and maybe rent a yacht and buy their goods in local supermarkets, and go out sailing for days. So VP invest in some yachts and say good bye to the cruise ships

Smarty Skirt Antigua Me Come Fram's Avatar Antigua Me Come Fram is offline
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
    I like the Vincy politicians, cause they not afraid to say what the deal is. Seriously though, they need to say screw you to the cruise lines. Their passengers hardly spend any damn money. Only the taxi men make some real dollars if they get tours. The tourist that make the ountry money are those that come and stay over night and maybe rent a yacht and buy their goods in local supermarkets, and go out sailing for days. So VP invest in some yachts and say good bye to the cruise ships
    Boy you not lying. We have the same problem here and it is further compounded by the all-inclusive hotel industry. I don't know when these guys are going to get some balls. I watched a report on CNN some time ago that showed that these cruise companies don't pay any taxes in the US either because the ships are registered in other countries. These guys are getting away with murder, our governments keep bending over backward to accommodate them at the expense of our people and our environment and all we get back is the half dead head tax and from what I understand our taxis and vendors don't make that much either.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Antigua Me Come Fram View Post
    Boy you not lying. We have the same problem here and it is further compounded by the all-inclusive hotel industry. I don't know when these guys are going to get some balls. I watched a report on CNN some time ago that showed that these cruise companies don't pay any taxes in the US either because the ships are registered in other countries. These guys are getting away with murder, our governments keep bending over backward to accommodate them at the expense of our people and our environment and all we get back is the half dead head tax and from what I understand our taxis and vendors don't make that much either.
    Indeed, an island tour here costs $27 dollars (cause you could walk the place in 2 hrs) and only those will make the taxis money if they get 2 tours in one day and you have like a 25 seater bus. The cruise passengers thinkl it hard to buy the 3 or 4 for $10 dollar T-shirts from the vendors, man they don't even want to pay a lil $3 dollar for a ride to the cruise pier when they foot swell up fat fat fat from walking in the hot sun with they diabetes. Sometimes the ship come in at 8 oclock by 2 pm it leaving. So i hope people in some these governments not being fooled thinking the cruise ships is best thing yet. But the govts have to appease the taxi man them cause they have a lot of them here so votes count.

Credits
    I have been saying this all along....the islands further south are always at a disadvantage......we have to use the fly cruise option to get some cruise liners to port here......

"Beache did not name the cruise operator, but said that a particular cruise line had negotiated a certain arrangement with his government but never arrived after it was offered free water and garbage disposal and a reduced head tax by one of its neighbours."

This is a big issue....countries want the business so bad that they are willing to take alot and gain little.......well i aint know which ialand this is but i know in Barbados they have to pay for water and they are special conditions for the handling of garbage at the port....

But until the islands come together and set standard fees and port charges things will never change...but is there a willingness to do this no.....because then how will a country be able to lure away a cruise line from another island if the money is the same.....

We need to do it together and have set routes that we can sell to tour operators....st. vincent right next to Barbados and Grenada...so why cant it be included in a southern tour.....of course every country does not have to same port capacity or infrastucture in place to handle the same amount of liners but i am sure they can come up with a fair way to share the bounty if they wanted to
    Last edited by Sugar Apple; 10-24-2007 at 03:04 PM.
    We going from Sun til Sun.......

The JaM™
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar Apple View Post
    but i am sure they can come up with a fair way to share the bounty if they wanted to
    And that is the big problem right there... not many of the islands want to share the profits with the rest...

I keep saying that eco-tourism is something SVG should look into. There is an evergrowing demand in the tourist market for holidays that truly benefit the locals... instead of these package holidays that are bought for beans and the island itself doesn't actually see much of that money. Plus with the increase in salaries that people earn, they're looking to spend more on something different.
    If eco-tourism was to take off in the C'bbean, places like SVG, SLU, DA and Greenz would surely benefit.

Credits
    I have been saying this all along....the islands further south are always at a disadvantage......we have to use the fly cruise option to get some cruise liners to port here......

"Beache did not name the cruise operator, but said that a particular cruise line had negotiated a certain arrangement with his government but never arrived after it was offered free water and garbage disposal and a reduced head tax by one of its neighbours."

This is a big issue....countries want the business so bad that they are willing to take alot and gain little.......well i aint know which ialand this is but i know in Barbados they have to pay for water and they are special conditions for the handling of garbage at the port....

But until the islands come together and set standard fees and port charges things will never change...but is there a willingness to do this no.....because then how will a country be able to lure away a cruise line from another island if the money is the same.....

We need to do it together and have set routes that we can sell to tour operators....st. vincent right next to Barbados and Grenada...so why cant it be included in a southern tour.....of course every country does not have to same port capacity or infrastucture in place to handle the same amount of liners but i am sure they can come up with a fair way to share the bounty if they wanted to
    So true but right now the Florida Caribbean Cruise Assoiciation is using a divide and rule strategy that's been working for years. As soon as a government makes a move to do anything they start lobbying. Then we have to turn around to build ports to accommodate larger ships and harming our environment in the process. I hear even St. Maarten is going to build a port soon.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by The JaM™ View Post
    And that is the big problem right there... not many of the islands want to share the profits with the rest...

I keep saying that eco-tourism is something SVG should look into. There is an evergrowing demand in the tourist market for holidays that truly benefit the locals... instead of these package holidays that are bought for beans and the island itself doesn't actually see much of that money. Plus with the increase in salaries that people earn, they're looking to spend more on something different.
    If eco-tourism was to take off in the C'bbean, places like SVG, SLU, DA and Greenz would surely benefit.
    Right now there are tourists who are visiting countries and actually staying in the communities.

The JaM™
    Right now there are tourists who are visiting countries and actually staying in the communities.
    Yup.
    I briefly read about a community in one of those South American countries that had an eco-tourism programme going on and there was a small british contingent who had gone on holiday originally and then decided to make their home there and helping out with the programme.

Credits
    But one of the major issues that need to be adressed with respect to the tourim is airlift.......Although it is not neccessary for everyone to invest in an internaytional airport a functioning and effective regional carrier is essential....no body aint go wanna pay miami prices to go from barbados to SVG......and as a result the islands with the International airports are at a distinct advantage....

I know in barbados we advertise island hopping as part of the tourism product bu with the pirces soaring regional travel has dropped
    We going from Sun til Sun.......

Credits
    But one of the major issues that need to be adressed with respect to the tourim is airlift.......Although it is not neccessary for everyone to invest in an internaytional airport a functioning and effective regional carrier is essential....no body aint go wanna pay miami prices to go from barbados to SVG......and as a result the islands with the International airports are at a distinct advantage....

I know in barbados we advertise island hopping as part of the tourism product bu with the pirces soaring regional travel has dropped
    That's why the damn governments need to subsidise the industry and stop talking unity without making the necessary steps to implement it. It's just ridiculous. US$500 to go to TNT from ANU? Nonsense!!!!

The JaM™
    That's why the damn governments need to subsidise the industry and stop talking unity without making the necessary steps to implement it. It's just ridiculous. US$500 to go to TNT from ANU? Nonsense!!!!
    What? Prices gone up again?!

Credits
    So true but right now the Florida Caribbean Cruise Assoiciation is using a divide and rule strategy that's been working for years. As soon as a government makes a move to do anything they start lobbying. Then we have to turn around to build ports to accommodate larger ships and harming our environment in the process. I hear even St. Maarten is going to build a port soon.
    we extending on our's.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by The JaM™ View Post

SVG should actually be killing everyone dead in the region with what you mentioned and due to the fact that it has all those lil islands and cays surrounding it perfect for the yachters....storeowners benefit, local captains benefit also.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
    SVG should actually be killing everyone dead in the region with what you mentioned and due to the fact that it has all those lil islands and cays surrounding it perfect for the yachters....storeowners benefit, local captains benefit also.
    yeh dey should be building more marina's and ting. we builing/ extending 3 at the moment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast