Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By dedetriniking
  • 1 Post By sharkie

Thread: Bachata music star Romeo Santos is shaking things up

Credits

Bachata music star Romeo Santos is shaking things up

until i read this article in my daily paper yesterday, i had never heard of this guy. I had heard of the 'boy" group Aventura that he belongs to, but that type of fluff with light skinned Latinos never appealed to me (nor am I a target and i don't really dig bachata). Unfortunately, this is the type of image that the mainstream Anglo and Latino (White) presses advocates. This is another reason why someone like Joan Soriano will probably never make it to the top.

Bachata music star Romeo Santos is shaking things up - The Washington Post

Bachata music star Romeo Santos is shaking things up

View Photo Gallery —  Latin pop star Romeo Santos says he isn’t worried about crossing over to mainstream America: “I want them to cross over to my world.”

By Chris Richards, Published: March 2 | Updated: Saturday, March 3, 11:00 PM

NEW YORK — On a Friday night late last month, Romeo Santos paces the stage of Madison Square Garden practically on tiptoe. Crooning in pillowy Spanglish, he blows kisses to the nosebleeds as if picking an apple from a tree in reverse. Even his smile seems to curl in slow motion.

He’s savoring it. It’s the 30-year-old bachata star’s third sold-out gig there in February. It’s also his longest, spanning more than three hours — past midnight, past union curfew and into a dreamy delirium where the wail of young women begins to resemble a heavenly dolphin choir.

The screaming peaks in the homestretch as Santos points to one fan in the audience (“I love you . . . ”) and her date (“ . . . I hate him”). He pulls another breathless admirer up onstage. Then he does something with his hips that we can’t really talk about here.

He wasn’t always this bold. Two mornings later at a midtown hotel, Santos remembers the teenage years he spent singing at house parties, unable to pull his eyes from the carpet. “Every time a song would be over, there would be silence,” he says. “I was extremely shy.”

Today, Santos can’t afford to be. Breaking from his trailblazing group Aventura, his solo debut, “Formula Vol. 1,” spent three months at the top of Billboard’s Latin albums chart thanks to a push from Sony, which turned Shakira and Ricky Martin into household names. Now, Santos has his own ABC sitcom in development and can already be spotted during commercial breaks on Univision, pitching cellphones for AT&T.

But where Shakira and Martin crossed over to non-Latino audiences by singing in English, Santos sings almost entirely in Spanish and refuses to stray far from the love songs of bachata, a genre born in the plantations of the Dominican Republic.

As he prepares to hit the road — there’s a Patriot Center concert March 9 — the Bronx-born “king of bachata” says he isn’t worried about crossing over to mainstream America: “I want them to cross over to my world.”

“Them” is big enough to include Usher, who lends his voice to Santos’s biggest hit, “Promise.” Instead of a halfway rendez-vous in some predictable dance-pop DMZ, Santos and the R&B star duet over bachata’s signature sounds — rippling bongo drums, a grinding guira, and sugary-sharp notes plucked from acoustic guitars.

Usher, himself, materialized to sing “Promise” during the grand finale at Madison Square Garden, capping off a night of guest performances that included reggaeton heavyweights Wisin y Yandel and Sean “Diddy” Combs. “He’s the newest, biggest superstar in the game,” Combs declared from the stage. “And he’s gonna be here a long time!”

The three-night run at Madison Square Garden illustrated how Santos is expanding his reach without really moving his feet. With nods to R&B, hip-hop and reggaeton, the concerts also included appearances from Prince Royce, a young star undeniably forged in Aventura’s mold, as well as Luis Vargas and Anthony Santos, two long-beefing bachata legends that Santos invited to bury the hatchet by appearing on his new album.
    "Every onlooker is either a coward or a traitor." — Frantz Fanon

“If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.” Frederick Douglass

Credits
    His concerts full of fine Spanish women I heard.

Credits
    Seawall, you know that Bachata is the offspring of the Cuban Bolero?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Seawall View Post
    As he prepares to hit the road — there’s a Patriot Center concert March 9 — the Bronx-born “king of bachata” says he isn’t worried about crossing over to mainstream America: “I want them to cross over to my world.”
    Well said....the other way means you end up being a one hit wonder like the lambada people, macarena people and Kevin Lyttle.
    Socapro likes this.

sharkie
    omg, he comes to my city at the end of this month and i wanna go sooooooo bad!!!!!

*squeals*

I know so many of his songs!!
    triniameri likes this.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkie View Post
    omg, he comes to my city at the end of this month and i wanna go sooooooo bad!!!!!

*squeals*

I know so many of his songs!!
    gul my heart just melts when he starts singing...it's so tender and loving.........ooooooooooooo...Me encanta Romeo

Last edited by triniameri; 03-05-2012 at 11:22 PM.
    And keep your money, I got my own
    Keep a bigger smile on my face, being alone
    Bad motherfcuker, God complex
    Motivate your ass call me Malcolm X

sharkie
    For me it's Un Beso!!

Credits

this song is definitely a panty dropper
    Last edited by triniameri; 03-05-2012 at 11:24 PM.

sharkie
    The other one is Mi Puerto Rico because I feel as much love for TnT as he does for PR

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by triniameri View Post

this song is definitely a panty dropper
    muy fagitty crapola!!!

Credits
    i was never into any of this aventura music.. its for the females no doubt but youll see lots of guys at their concerts and what not.. only reason i can see a straight guy going to one of their concerts is if his girl dragged him along which shows who really wears the pants in the relationship or if he just go long for strictly picking up women who no doubt r gonna be wet in the pannies no more than 10 minz into the show..pure sucias go to these shows anyways..

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by optimizm View Post
    His concerts full of fine Spanish women I heard.
    Spanish women are women from SPAIN, moron.

Credits
    I love this song by him. Its great.

Credits
    Que solo por un beso
    Se puede enamorar
    Sin necesidad de hablarse
    Solo los labios rozarse
    Cupido los flechara
    Y solo por un beso,
    con ella soy feliz
    tan solo con un besito

Only by a kiss
    You can love
    No need to talk
    Just rub the lips
    Cupid's arrow to
    And just a kiss,
    I'm happy with it
    With just a kiss

awww lawd Romeo why yuh do me that?

Credits
    I have all of aventura CDs. But Romeo as a solo artist hasn't impressed me that much so far. I will have to listen to him more often and see if he grows on me.

in other news...
    I'm waiting for prince royce to come out with his seconds because his first was madsickheadnogood nice! make a thread about royce then then we will talk.