Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby Shower Etiquette

Credits

Baby Shower Etiquette

Someone I know is having a shower and rather than just listing a registry, they're doing a wishing well. The shower is being held at a moderately priced restaurant; yet guests are expected to pay for their own plates. This is not a young couple, just starting out, but a couple in their mid 30's with very decent means. Am I the only one that finds this extremely tacky? Only time I've seen wishing wells used before was at bar mitzvahs and it was for charity. How much cash would be appropriate for a baby shower wishing well anyway?
    "Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses." -Plato

"god is the deification of a culture."
    -Dr Yosef ben-Jochannan

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by BacchanalDiva View Post
    Someone I know is having a shower and rather than just listing a registry, they're doing a wishing well. The shower is being held at a moderately priced restaurant; yet guests are expected to pay for their own plates. This is not a young couple, just starting out, but a couple in their mid 30's with very decent means. Am I the only one that finds this extremely tacky? Only time I've seen wishing wells used before was at bar mitzvahs and it was for charity. How much cash would be appropriate for a baby shower wishing well anyway?
    I guess what you would spend on a gift... $25 and up
    And keep your money, I got my own
    Keep a bigger smile on my face, being alone
    Bad motherfcuker, God complex
    Motivate your ass call me Malcolm X

Credits
    whats a wishing well

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by triniameri View Post
    I guess what you would spend on a gift... $25 and up
    see thats the big difference with a wishing well, buying someone a $25 gift that they asked for feels a lot different than putting $25 in an envelope. With a registry you can choose which gift depending on what you want to spend but with a wishing well you're almost obligated to put out more....or at least it feels that way.
    "Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses." -Plato

-Dr Yosef ben-Jochannan

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by MR HYPE View Post
    whats a wishing well
    A decorated thingy you throw envelopes or gift cards in.

-Dr Yosef ben-Jochannan

Credits

Very tacky. That is like going to a wedding and telling your guests to pay for their food. They must only want $25 gift cards if I'm paying for my food.
    "Stop talking about it and BE about it"

Credits
    ok

Credits
    Dat sound like white people obeah.
    Our Queen went to sleep, her people left to weep....in song she lives on.

Long Live the Queen!

Credits
    are they NOT accepting gifts? Cause ah mean, u dont need a registry to go shopping for a baby shower

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by trinithunda View Post
    Very tacky. That is like going to a wedding and telling your guests to pay for their food. They must only want $25 gift cards if I'm paying for my food.
    Ok so its not me that crazy then. I could see if was some young couple w/ lil money like I said but this is big hardback ppl. The whole invitation turned me off, i think I'm gonna make an excuse not to go.

-Dr Yosef ben-Jochannan

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by trinithunda View Post
    or maybe they just have alot of stuff already...when i got married, all my gifts sat in the garage forever ever...we were already living together and had tons of household items......shit im better with gift cards..dat takes bout 2 minutes...lol

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by chinky eyes View Post
    Dat sound like white people obeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniminx View Post
    are they NOT accepting gifts? Cause ah mean, u dont need a registry to go shopping for a baby shower
    I dunno, the invitation says there will be a wishing well and cash and gift cards will be appreciated. How do you know what ppl want w/out a registry?

-Dr Yosef ben-Jochannan

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Triniminx View Post
    or maybe they just have alot of stuff already...when i got married, all my gifts sat in the garage forever ever...we were already living together and had tons of household items......shit im better with gift cards..dat takes bout 2 minutes...lol
    Well if that's that case they could a. let ppl donated to a charity of their choice or b. exchange all the gifts. Asking ppl for money just doesnt sound right.

-Dr Yosef ben-Jochannan

Credits

I dunno, the invitation says there will be a wishing well and cash and gift cards will be appreciated. How do you know what ppl want w/out a registry?
    for babies? Man, get a couple onesies, some burping clothes, bath toys, etc ...that stuff is cheap and useful...i hate when people give outfits to fit a two yr old at a baby shower...u know WI people want to buy everything big! ...or they have a "boppy pillow"..i loved mine, u can wrap it around ur waist when ur sitting down to hold the baby

Well if that's that case they could a. let ppl donated to a charity of their choice or b. exchange all the gifts. Asking ppl for money just doesnt sound right.
    oh i agree, asking for money is tacky...i think if it said "gift cards appreciated", that would have been better

Credits
    I would wish them well and stay home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast