Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Athletics and Trinidad

Credits

Athletics and Trinidad

"Win lose or draw, we feting."

I think there are a lot of reasons why T&T hasn't had continued success, but the mindset of celebrating even if we lose is one of them.

If I'm an athlete and I know that even if I place in the finals, they gonna have a big party and act like I won, I may not give that extra effort.

Jamaica is criticizing Asafa right now for pulling out, and although I disagree with it, I see that as a crucial reason as to why they are successful. Jamaicans don't seem to settle, they try to excel forever.

I remember when T&T tied Sweden in Germany...we all acted like we won???? Even though it was an accomplishment, as a country we need to calm down a little and offer criticism when we lose so the athletes KNOW they have to give maximum effort in order to get full support.

Coddling has to stop.

Thoughts???
    Audree likes this.

T-MAKAA
    I dont agree with this
    RedBlackNWhite likes this.

Credits
    it's not a case of celebrating that we lost.. it's a case of acknowledging the hard work that these athletes put in to reach where they did.. its encouragement.. when we only support when we win, that's a bandwagonist mentality.. it's win or lose, we support...we are trying to inspire others to put on our national colors and fly our flag high.. when athletes see how little their efforts are appreciated why the hell would they want to compete for us??? its like the difference between coming home with 98 on a test out of 100 and your parent says "weh de other two marks?? wha de hell you think it is? you couldnt get 100???" and your parent saying "good job on that 98! next time we'll get that 100 kiddo!".. two DIFFERENT mindsets... we tear down our own before we build them up...
    Socapro likes this.
    Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

mi style still sharp .....u a A-Minor and dem a B-Flat

Credits
    I get what you're coming from RotiKing... Just the fact that these athletes are representing us on the world stage is putting T&T on the map...

I will always support them... If we win, I wouldn't have to tell you what would happen... If we lost, I'll still be proud for the fact we did our best...

To give you an example, I was at the velodrome and it wasn't just the Trinbagonians that applauded Phillip but everyone else including the British...

Then I had people telling me that Njisane would be one to look out for... Just me being there, people wanted to take pictures and asking me about sweet sweet T&T...
    Socapro and RedBlackNWhite like this.
    Seven is the number of the natural world. There are 7 days in the week, 7 notes on the musical scale and 7 directions (left, right, up, down, forward, back and center). The Sages teach that seven are the attributes of physicality: Height, Width, Depth, Top and Bottom (limits height), Front and Back (limits width), Left and Right (limits depth), the connecting of the other six.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by RotiKing2004eva View Post
    "Win lose or draw, we feting."

I think there are a lot of reasons why T&T hasn't had continued success, but the mindset of celebrating even if we lose is one of them.

If I'm an athlete and I know that even if I place in the finals, they gonna have a big party and act like I won, I may not give that extra effort.

Jamaica is criticizing Asafa right now for pulling out, and although I disagree with it, I see that as a crucial reason as to why they are successful. Jamaicans don't seem to settle, they try to excel forever.

I remember when T&T tied Sweden in Germany...we all acted like we won???? Even though it was an accomplishment, as a country we need to calm down a little and offer criticism when we lose so the athletes KNOW they have to give maximum effort in order to get full support.

Coddling has to stop.

Thoughts???
    The bolded is misguided. Sweden while not being a "powerhouse" is a respectable national setup with world class stars who were in their prime and or upcoming. That draw that was won for the most part with 10 men on the field was a very noteworthy accomplishment for the Soca Warriors. Many wont admit it but the euphoria stemmed from a general outlook that we boxed above our weight class. Not to say we don't ave talent but many tools are missing from our program that would see us being a respected opponent. And as a side note it wasn't only T&T celebrating the 06 Warriors, having attended I can say with certainty that football fans from all over the world fell in love with T&T and rooted for us at every juncture. Wearing a T&T shirt afforded you instant celebrity in Germany during that WC Final no matter where you were (streets, stadiums, clubs, restaurants, etc.). You can't realistically critique over achievement.

As for our track athletes and others they are good but not among the best and it's grossly disrespectful to them to say from the luxury of being in front of your TV screen that they aren't giving their all.
    Space available for RENT

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyrastafari View Post
    it's not a case of celebrating that we lost.. it's a case of acknowledging the hard work that these athletes put in to reach where they did.. its encouragement.. when we only support when we win, that's a bandwagonist mentality.. it's win or lose, we support...we are trying to inspire others to put on our national colors and fly our flag high.. when athletes see how little their efforts are appreciated why the hell would they want to compete for us??? its like the difference between coming home with 98 on a test out of 100 and your parent says "weh de other two marks?? wha de hell you think it is? you couldnt get 100???" and your parent saying "good job on that 98! next time we'll get that 100 kiddo!".. two DIFFERENT mindsets... we tear down our own before we build them up...
    I see getting a tie vs. sweden in germany as getting an 80 on a test, not a 98. An 80 is good, you get a big up, but it's not good enough.

Trinidad celebrated like we won...and that's the problem.

We reach...yes...but we still have far to go. When we get a gold, then we should celebrate like we won something. When we beat Bahrain...that was the time to celebrate...not when we tie to Sweden.

This olympics, if we don't win God, we should celebrate but not too much. We should urge the athletes to strive for Gold...not celebrate Bronze as if it's Gold.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Bo$$ View Post
    The bolded is misguided. Sweden while not being a "powerhouse" is a respectable national setup with world class stars who were in their prime and or upcoming. That draw that was won for the most part with 10 men on the field was a very noteworthy accomplishment for the Soca Warriors. Many wont admit it but the euphoria stemmed from a general outlook that we boxed above our weight class. Not to say we don't ave talent but many tools are missing from our program that would see us being a respected opponent. And as a side note it wasn't only T&T celebrating the 06 Warriors, having attended I can say with certainty that football fans from all over the world fell in love with T&T and rooted for us at every juncture. Wearing a T&T shirt afforded you instant celebrity in Germany during that WC Final no matter where you were (streets, stadiums, clubs, restaurants, etc.). You can't realistically critique over achievement.

As for our track athletes and others they are good but not among the best and it's grossly disrespectful to them to say from the luxury of being in front of your TV screen that they aren't giving their all.
    True that... We were also 7 minutes away from drawing with England... Big Bo$$, you remember the German women going nuts over Trinis... I didn't even have to say a word... Just rep in my T&T colours and the rest is history...
    Seven is the number of the natural world. There are 7 days in the week, 7 notes on the musical scale and 7 directions (left, right, up, down, forward, back and center). The Sages teach that seven are the attributes of physicality: Height, Width, Depth, Top and Bottom (limits height), Front and Back (limits width), Left and Right (limits depth), the connecting of the other six.

Credits
    I remember traveling to Tennessee going to see the Warriors lose 3-0 in a qualifier to the US a couple years ago. In that Parking Lot after the game, you coulda swear we won.

I went to the hotel for the party, and the event was festive. You couldn't tell who won or lost for the most part.

The only player that looked pissed was Birchall, everyone else was acting like we won.

"Getting there" cannot be the goal...gold has to be the goal, every time.

Credits
    yeah but why dont u realize that we have produce some of the best athletes in the world?

top notch athletes in different sports.
    GREATNESS IS ALL I KNOW

Credits
    Generally, you're right.
    People get bogged down in minutiae, the bottomline is Trinidad and Tobago have underperformed, AGAIN!

We don't need analogies for this because it is what it is.
    T&T is wealthy enough and talented enough to be producing at least 3 individual medal winners per Olympics.
    Anything below that is failure.
    36 years without a gold is failure.
    Female athletes have completely failed us.

And you know, since I small I hearin' my father talk this with my uncles. Jamaica sends an athlete to the US and he returns home with a medal; T&T sends an athlete to the US and he returns home every Carnival to play mas.
    Audree likes this.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by SWAGGERIFIC View Post
    yeah but why dont u realize that we have produce some of the best athletes in the world?

top notch athletes in different sports.
    I realize this and I believe it.

I also believe that T&T has the ability to win Gold at the Olympics. We also have the ability to be the best team in Concacaf and make i it to the World Cup every year and win some games in our Group in the World Cup. We have the resources, we have some money and we definitely have the athletes.

I also believe Kenwyne Jones should net 25+ goals a game at the prem because he's a beast and is a combo of Andy Caroll + some of Didier Drogba...but i don't think he has the mindset.

I think the mindset is what is lacking.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by RotiKing2004eva View Post
    I remember traveling to Tennessee going to see the Warriors lose 3-0 in a qualifier to the US a couple years ago. In that Parking Lot after the game, you coulda swear we won.

I went to the hotel for the party, and the event was festive. You couldn't tell who won or lost for the most part.

The only player that looked pissed was Birchall, everyone else was acting like we won.

"Getting there" cannot be the goal...gold has to be the goal, every time.
    More shit talk. The players was supposed to look fockup and not engage the fans who wanted to mingle with them there? If you was there after you would have noticed that the mood wasn't as festive when most of the fans were gobe and it was mostly players and a few friends and fans. Stern looked solemn, Ince looked to be in a bad mood, and others didn't look to happy as well. And the same Birchall was right there in a party with us late in the night. In fact it was mostly the younger players who came to that party KJ, Hyland, Birchall, JM Williams and so on. Did you have delusions that we would win the game? I hoped but given the history wasn't expecting a win against the US. If yuh was a ball man you would have realized that we was not likely to come away with a victory let alone a draw given the lineup and tactics throughout that campaign up until that point.

Riley It had no place I went wearing a TnT shirt where I wasn't stopped for pictures, engaged in long conversations, recieved drinks, etc. The few clubs we went even the DJs once they saw the colors would remark and welcome the soca warriors to the club. RK doh kno wha he talkin bout nah.
    Socapro likes this.
    Space available for RENT

Credits
    riley.. who is that draped in the Trini flag in your pic??
    Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Bo$$ View Post
    More shit talk. The players was supposed to look fockup and not engage the fans who wanted to mingle with them there? If you was there after you would have noticed that the mood wasn't as festive when most of the fans were gobe and it was mostly players and a few friends and fans. Stern looked solemn, Ince looked to be in a bad mood, and others didn't look to happy as well. And the same Birchall was right there in a party with us late in the night. In fact it was mostly the younger players who came to that party KJ, Hyland, Birchall, JM Williams and so on. Did you have delusions that we would win the game? I hoped but given the history wasn't expecting a win against the US. If yuh was a ball man you would have realized that we was not likely to come away with a victory let alone a draw given the lineup and tactics throughout that campaign up until that point.

Riley It had no place I went wearing a TnT shirt where I wasn't stopped for pictures, engaged in long conversations, recieved drinks, etc. The few clubs we went even the DJs once they saw the colors would remark and welcome the soca warriors to the club. RK doh kno wha he talkin bout nah.
    Yes, my goal was for us to win the game every single time we step on the field. We have the talent to challenge everybody.

Credits
    i'm sorry.. but when we won gold, we haven't given the man proper accolades, he had to wait 20 years for a house etc... like if we treat the ones who bring us the gold shabbily, please tell me how we can spur others to go up and rep us? look at how we treated Miss World TnT, because she didnt fit into our narrow aesthetic of how a beauty queen repping us should look.. why would anybody want to risk sanity to rep us? when people support you win, lose or draw, you on your own merit as the athlete want to make THEM proud and you go out and put something extra into it.. and it's worse if the athlete is using their OWN money to get themselves the training, equipment etc they need.. i personally think our athletics programs in TnT need more attention paid to them.. i remember one time in high school showing up for an official match and the field we were to play on, had a huge mound of dirt of something in front the goal i was like wth?? smh... the field wasnt level either.. it was just too crazy..

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast