Thread: Aricle: Use It or Lose It by Carl Moore

Credits

Aricle: Use It or Lose It by Carl Moore

A very good article although I disagree with certain points made. Comments anyone?

THE MOORE THINGS CHANGE: Use it or lose it

by CARL MOORE

A MOST ERUDITE ANALYSIS of the condition of West Indies cricket appeared recently in THE NATION. It was a salutary requiem and came, perhaps appropriately, from a man of the cloth.

Some thought Pastor Wesley Boynes' obsequies somewhat premature. The game has changed and we haven't noticed. Pastor Boynes suggested that the time had come to accept that cricket had fulfilled its purpose.

"It brought us much joy but now it is virtually dead and should be allowed to rest in peace before the bad memories become more numerous than the happy ones," he said.

I found this compelling: "The West Indies was relevant because the individual territories were too weak to stand up to international competition so the best players were chosen to form one strong team."

I found this historically accurate: "Then, we had to prove to the former slave masters or colonial powers that we in the West Indies were also skilled players and could beat them at their own game; hence the stirring up of pride as a major challenge."

Notice what happens whenever we meet England, our former oppressors: we must beat them to validate our identity. I thought we had done that at Lord's since 1950! In 2009, the idea of a West Indian cricket team is as surreal as a West Indian nation.

How can we expect Fidel Edwards to view the game in the same light as George Francis? Times have changed. I agree with the late Pakistani fast bowler Khan Mohammed: "Cricket is the most intellectual of all the outdoor sports. It demands observation, calculation and judgment. It brings out qualities like courage, concentration, self-restraint and brotherly team work."

The Twenty/20 burlesque accentuates the dumbing down of the game. Anything you dumb down long enough eventually disappears.

I see similar developments in calypso and our use of language.

Recently, many people have been lamenting the decline of social commentary in calypso. They prefer to think it's because there are too many tents. It is clear that young Barbadians prefer the uptempo version, the type of music that excites their muscles, seldom their minds.

Some of the lamentations are coming from the very calypsonians who introduced the "pooch back" formula. The thing has taken root and has now grown into a mature plant. Social commentary is steadily becoming a thing of the past.

The late Gladstone Holder once observed: "Language is the activity upon which every other human activity depends. That is why it is necessary to come to grips with it and understand its functions and its use.

"You do not need to understand your heart or your liver or your lungs to live fully; these perform involuntary functions, but you do need to understand language to live fully . . . . "

At precisely the moment we need language to help us think through the several complexities of life, we're using less and less of it. Even the Queen is now "tweeting". The lady can be found on Twitter, an Internet website that restricts her to expressing herself in 140 characters. How can you think lucid thoughts with 140 characters?

These days a writer dare not risk irony or satire. Apart from the overused simile, how often do you hear hyperbole, litotes, alliteration, pun, euphemism, metaphor and the several other devices that take thinking to a higher plane?

Gladstone Holder again: "Language is the food that nourishes the brain and heart to their full human potential and beyond. Hence the quality of the language environment is vital.

"People who speak in an argot think in an argot, and since argot is by definition a defective form of language, then all the inner sources which language feeds become clogged and corrupt from disuse and abuse."

How can this generation of "virtuals" - those born after 1999 - learn the English language in this age of digital autism?

f u dont use it u lose it

l Carl Moore was the first Editor of THE NATION and is a social commentator. Email carlmoore@caribsurf.com

Nation News - Home
    Create your own university; develop and encourage a culture of critical thinking and action

Taj
    Credits
    Nice I enjoyed the article although I would have liked him to stay on the cricket topic more...
    “A sharp knife never proclaims it’s sharpness to the world…but the first to fall against it becomes it’s advocate.”

You can put any face behind a mask but be careful cos someone else might be pretending. You might not be the only one with a secret -- Cassie/Gretel

Credits
    Yeah, me too. Although I do have to admit that the other points he raised are very much related to the dismal performance of the West Indies senior team.
    Create your own university; develop and encourage a culture of critical thinking and action

Taj
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananci_7 View Post
    Yeah, me too. Although I do have to admit that the other points he raised are very much related to the dismal performance of the West Indies senior team.
    Yes very related but I really would have liked him to continue on this train

How can we expect Fidel Edwards to view the game in the same light as George Francis? Times have changed. I agree with the late Pakistani fast bowler Khan Mohammed: "Cricket is the most intellectual of all the outdoor sports. It demands observation, calculation and judgment. It brings out qualities like courage, concentration, self-restraint and brotherly team work."

The Twenty/20 burlesque accentuates the dumbing down of the game. Anything you dumb down long enough eventually disappears.
    “A sharp knife never proclaims it’s sharpness to the world…but the first to fall against it becomes it’s advocate.”

You can put any face behind a mask but be careful cos someone else might be pretending. You might not be the only one with a secret -- Cassie/Gretel

Credits
    Heh heh heh, you picked up on that too I see. Again, I must admit that I do agree with his sentiments there