Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Appreciating T&Tís World Class performances at London 2012 Olympics

Credits

Thumbs up Appreciating T&Tís World Class performances at London 2012 Olympics

T&T’s World Class performances at London 2012 Olympics

Medal Winners:

Gold
    Keshorn Walcott–men’s javelin final–84.58 metres

Bronze
    Lalonde Gordon–men’s 400m final–44.52 seconds
    Men’s 4 x 400m relay (Lalonde Gordon, Jarrin Solomon, Ade Alleyne-Forte, Deon Lendore)–2:59.40 NR
    Men’s 4 x 100m relay (Keston Bledman, Marc Burns, Emmanuel Callendar, Richard Thompson) - 38.12 seconds

Other Finalists:

George Bovell III–men’s 50m freestyle final–seventh–21.82 seconds
    Njisane Phillip–match sprint–fourth
    Njisane Phillip–men’s keirin–seventh
    Kelly-Ann Baptiste–women’s 100m final–sixth–10.94 seconds
    Semoy Hackett–women’s 200m final–eight–22.87 seconds
    Richard Thompson–men’s 100m final–seventh–9.98 seconds
    Jehue Gordon–men’s 400m hurdles final–sixth–48.86 seconds
    Women’s 4 x 100 relay final–Michell Lee Ahyee, Kelly-Ann Baptiste, Kai Selvon, Semoy Hackett–DNF.

Summary:

T&T had 11 Olympic finalists inside the world’s top 8 in their event(s) and won 4 Olympic medals which could easily have been as much as 7 medals with a little more luck if our athletes had all perform up to their potential in the finals.

So well done T&T and congrats on your London 2012 Olympics performances that make us all extra proud as a Caribbean country celebrating 50 years of Independence this month.

I could easily see T&T at least doubling our medal tally at the Rio Games in 2016 if we finally start taking sports in T&T seriously and can build upon our most recent Olympic successes.
    11 finalists and 4 medals including gold is very impressive per capita for a nation of just 1.5 million.

T&T sent a contingent of 30 athletes to the London Olympics and over a 3rd of them proved to be truly world class and progressed to the finals in their various events.
    So congratulations and well done to our 2012 Olympic contingent once again!
    SWAGGERIFIC likes this.
    Catch me as Soca PhD Every Saturday 2-4pm GMT
    On www.GenesisRadio.co.uk (91.6FM);
    Every Tueday 6-8pm & Friday 8-10pm GMT
    On www.HavitLive.co.uk (99.1FM);
    www.facebook.com/socaphd
    email: projampro@yahoo.co.uk

Hailing from Trinidad & Tobago and very proud of it!!
    Land of Calypso, Steelband, Limbo, Parang, Rapso, Chutney-Soca, Soca, Jamoo, Panjazz and the Biggest, Best & Most Influential Caribbean Carnival in the World with no apology!
    Together We Aspire & Together We Achieve!!

Credits
    Yeah, we had a decent Games. Some disappointment but matched by those who exceeded expectation.
    My best moments were Lalonde's semi-final run and Njisane's ride against the Russian.

Credits
    If Trinidad funded the athletes seriously and had a passion for Gold medals like we have a passion for Feting...we'd get double digit medals every olympics.

That being said, our success in these Olympics will lead to a mindset that we can win Gold in future olympics. Our goal should be at least 2 Gold Medals in Brazil...and at least 8 Medals.
    Socapro likes this.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by RotiKing2004eva View Post
    If Trinidad funded the athletes seriously and had a passion for Gold medals like we have a passion for Feting...we'd get double digit medals every olympics.

That being said, our success in these Olympics will lead to a mindset that we can win Gold in future olympics. Our goal should be at least 2 Gold Medals in Brazil...and at least 8 Medals.

I had to find it and post right here!

*dyyyyyyinngggg* that is so hilarious!
    Georgeflash likes this.
    Who has eyes to see, let them see...

Credits
    big up kelly ann baptiste...one of my favourites

Credits

send up Machel for boxing

Credits
    Why not big up all the Caribbean athletes on their achievements... I thought you was all about the U.N.I.T.Y...
    Socapro likes this.
    Seven is the number of the natural world. There are 7 days in the week, 7 notes on the musical scale and 7 directions (left, right, up, down, forward, back and center). The Sages teach that seven are the attributes of physicality: Height, Width, Depth, Top and Bottom (limits height), Front and Back (limits width), Left and Right (limits depth), the connecting of the other six.

Official Winin' criminal Soca_Loving_Trini's Avatar Soca_Loving_Trini is offline
    Credits

Big statement there, Trinidad needs to invest in its athlete because at the end of the day a holiday and parade through the streets is not going to help us get a gold medal in Rio 2016. A lot of sporting fraternities are begging for funding, we have a water polo team that is throwing a party to raise its own funds because gov't funding is mediocre at best. There was an article with Nisjane last year where he was thinking about riding for the US because of the lack of funding, no where to train, no money to go to world championships and compete his father having to purchase he plane ticket!! But come olympics President Max is in the crowd cheering him on with no care for the journey it took to get him there. Smh not everyone is fortunate like Richard Thompson to traiin in the US with the best facilities but still they have to pay a cost. Trinidad needs to get it right becaue our athletes have talent and we can be getting a lot more medals if the sports ministry get their act together and fund sports like they do in Cuba!
    Socapro likes this.
    Doh cry fuh me! When I dead bury me in the Carnival, so I will never, never miss out the bachanal.... When I gone put me down in the Savannah so I could never, never miss a next Panorama! My daddy was on a wining trip, Mammy conceive on a wining ship and when I born I come out a soca chile......

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Soca_Loving_Trini View Post
    Big statement there, Trinidad needs to invest in its athlete because at the end of the day a holiday and parade through the streets is not going to help us get a gold medal in Rio 2016. A lot of sporting fraternities are begging for funding, we have a water polo team that is throwing a party to raise its own funds because gov't funding is mediocre at best. There was an article with Nisjane last year where he was thinking about riding for the US because of the lack of funding, no where to train, no money to go to world championships and compete his father having to purchase he plane ticket!! But come olympics President Max is in the crowd cheering him on with no care for the journey it took to get him there. Smh not everyone is fortunate like Richard Thompson to traiin in the US with the best facilities but still they have to pay a cost. Trinidad needs to get it right becaue our athletes have talent and we can be getting a lot more medals if the sports ministry get their act together and fund sports like they do in Cuba!
    Couldn't have said it better...
    Seven is the number of the natural world. There are 7 days in the week, 7 notes on the musical scale and 7 directions (left, right, up, down, forward, back and center). The Sages teach that seven are the attributes of physicality: Height, Width, Depth, Top and Bottom (limits height), Front and Back (limits width), Left and Right (limits depth), the connecting of the other six.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Riley Escobar View Post
    Why not big up all the Caribbean athletes on their achievements... I thought you was all about the U.N.I.T.Y...
    We did biging up the Caribbean with team Caribbean like yuh din see? that was when we had bronze, we got gold now so it's Trinbago time. #TeamTrinbago
    Socapro likes this.
    Man ah Barbeerian bound tuh be by de bar beer in meh hand beastly cold.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by notorious saga View Post
    We did big up the Caribbean with team Caribbean like yuh din see? that was when we had bronze, we got gold now so it's Trinbago time. #TeamTrinbago
    Must have missed that... Only one I'll truly big up is Keshorn... My mom was confident that he'd win and the way she went on convinced me to go bookies... Odds were at 200-1...

Credits
    Your leader is of Indian decent and those people don't see any particular value in athletic accomplishments. How else do you hexplain a country like India with over a billion people leaving the Olympics with only 6 medals?
    Say no to drugs.
    Smoke weed.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Georgeflash View Post
    Your leader is of Indian decent and those people don't see any particular value in athletic accomplishments. How else do you hexplain a country like India with over a billion people leaving the Olympics with only 6 medals?
    Can't blame that one on Kamla...PNM was no better. But still have to at the bolded.
    Socapro likes this.
    "Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses." -Plato

"god is the deification of a culture."
    -Dr Yosef ben-Jochannan

Credits
    Yuh know I thought the thread-starter was on another vibe when he made this thread.
    Ah doh think he wants to read all ah dem negatives

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Steupz View Post
    Yuh know I thought the thread-starter was on another vibe when he made this thread.
    Ah doh think he wants to read all ah dem negatives
    Yeah, looks like some of these posters on Imix can't get serious about any topic even for one minute.

I like my joking around eh but when it comes to sports and using it as a tool to help teach citizens, discipline, hard work, determination and pride while also helping to create positive role models for our youths to emulate then I become dead serious.

Sports are no longer just a pastime, it’s now serious international business and it’s now time for the T&T government and business community to wake up and smell the coffee!

There is an awful lot of coffee in Brazil which is why they are hosting the next Olympic Games in 2016.
    Catch me as Soca PhD Every Saturday 2-4pm GMT
    On www.GenesisRadio.co.uk (91.6FM);
    Every Tueday 6-8pm & Friday 8-10pm GMT
    On www.HavitLive.co.uk (99.1FM);
    www.facebook.com/socaphd
    email: projampro@yahoo.co.uk

Hailing from Trinidad & Tobago and very proud of it!!
    Land of Calypso, Steelband, Limbo, Parang, Rapso, Chutney-Soca, Soca, Jamoo, Panjazz and the Biggest, Best & Most Influential Caribbean Carnival in the World with no apology!
    Together We Aspire & Together We Achieve!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast