Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Apple iTunes exec says 'NO' to any Jamaican music

Credits

Apple iTunes exec says 'NO' to any Jamaican music

http://www.voice-online.net/content.php?show=6788&type=1&mail_status=0

iJAM!
    BY Andrew Clunis

iTunes exec tells Jamaican artists to take a hike

A top music industry exec has been slammed after declaring he wanted nothing to do with Jamaican artists.

Kirk Bonin, Artist/Label Relations Manager at iTunes Music Store, Apple’s online music retail shop, admitted telling aides for reggae star Buju Banton that he wanted nothing to do with Jamaican musicians after Banton’s company Gargamel Music Inc approached the iTunes for support in the distribution of his new single Magic City.

Responding to an email sent by Banton’s record company before his Memorial Day concert in Miami Bonin wrote: “Please remove me from any (mailing) list having to do with this artist or any Jamaican artist actually”.
    ANGER

Bonin’s comment infuriated Banton’s handlers and the wider Jamaican music industry. Tracii McGregor, vice president of New York based Gargamel Records said Bonin’s comment was a slap in the face of all Jamaican artists who have worked hard over the years to make the music successful. “I don’t know who this man thinks he is and what point he’s trying to make but it sure is scary that someone in such a position would be prepared to make such a statement. He has undermined the tremendous relationship that Jamaican artists and the reggae music buying public have had with Apple for years.”

And a senior executive at the Jamaica Federation of Musicians said the statement was misguided and called on Apple to discipline Bonin. “Millions of people shop on iTunes for reggae music. It is most irresponsible that a manager charged with key responsibilities would seek to make such a sweeping statement which has the potential to rupture what has been a fruitful relationship between Apple and reggae music. Many people are deeply concerned that this kind of view is expressed in too many music boardrooms.”

But Bonin told The Voice he was expressing his personal views and not those of the company. He said: “I am personally offended by his homophobic lyrics. Unfortunately I had a friend who was murdered in a homophobic attack some years ago. His lyrics personally and spiritually upset me and when I come to work in the mornings and I see those emails they bring back painful memories. I’ve heard his records and from my listening and interpretation the lyrics are still there.”

Bonin said he did not see any reason for an apology and does not anticipate that his comments will affect the relationship between the reggae industry and Apple. He said that the iTunes music store still boasts an impressive range of Buju Banton’s music. “I personally won’t deal with it but there are people who work beneath me who love reggae music.”

However McGregor was unimpressed by Bonin’s explanation. “If those were his personal feelings, he’s entitled to express them. But I was certainly not expecting that as a professional comment. If his statement comes against the background of the campaign that has been waged against reggae music in recent times then I ask how it is that no music executive has come out against Eminem whose style of music resonates more readily with them?

we all know the answer to that.....

What you apple supporters hadda say for yuhself now?

elq
    Credits
    uuuuuuuuuhm

isn't dat shaggy's voice in the apple ipod commercials?

what am i gonna do?
    i'm writing apple right now!
    eff dat, fiyah bun de itunes exec guy.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by elq
    uuuuuuuuuhm

isn't dat shaggy's voice in the apple ipod commercials?

what am i gonna do?
    i'm writing apple right now!
    eff dat, fiyah bun de itunes exec guy.
    boss, it's so funny.

every i-wayne thread goes on for 50 pages.

but an exec within Apple expresses open disdain for an entire country of musicians, and all of a sudden nobody on imix can find the 'post reply' button.

Last I checked, everybody from Bob Marley to Jimmy Cliff to Biggie to Busta Rhymes to Luciano to Garnett Silk was a Jamaican artist.

I just love the apathy around here. Classic.

Credits
    i just read this... ...thanks for the info

that is a very ignorant comment by iTune Exec...

sounding like one spoiled apple makes whole box spoiled...
    (not saying buju's music is the spoiled apple, but one song by him basically triggered him to say such things, in that sense)

obviously, he does not listen to reggae, and probably just see and hear what is going on out there and making such judgement...that is a part of the problem with journalism too but i am not gonna get into that too deep...the point is, this exec nuh know jack shit and making comment...ignorance is a scary thing...but i am not surprised someone like this is an exec...

maybe petition needs to be started to remove this person from this position...publicity and public action helps this type a foolishness sometimes...

Credits
    keep we music to we self......no problems

sharkie
    if i was apple, i woulda do de same shit.

Credits
    de man is ah batty boy so him no sey wi no agree
    His boys aint no fool dey no money is in Reggae !
    If he don't apologize I don't care cause it just lets us
    know were him & my fellow jamaicans stand !

Credits
    he must of been when he said that is he mad or what...

Satisfaction Facilitator Terryfabulous's Avatar Terryfabulous is offline
    Credits
    good thign i don't pay for music on itunes...

Credits

Thumbs down

If he has a problem with homophobic lyrics (apparently just those by Jamaicans), then he should have put it that way to begin with. And he should limit the exclusion to just that. Not wanting to deal with "any Jamaican artists" is ridiculous.

Like I've said since day 1 of this iPod craze....F*ck Apple, iPod, iThis, iThat, and iEverything. I made it a point not to make my mp3 player an iPod. 20 people in line next to me all buying the same damn thing. I bypassed them all and asked for a Creative brand one ($100 less, and 10 times the storage).
    West Indian T-shirts & More: www.wiCulture.com
    Like it on Facebook: facebook.com/wiculturetees

Credits
    What is music without Jamaica?
    I been listening to Bob Marley and peter Tosh since I was in the crib! They can't deny culture, whether it Jamaican or anywhere else, sooner or later they gon have to accept that Jamaican music (reggae, dancehall, etc.) is a BIG partof the music industry!
    If not we gon march on dem

Credits
    never bought an ipod never will for a start damm things r u exspensive so i desided to buy an sony minidisc and am happy wit that.

Credits
    but then again, who really PAYS for music on an mp3 now?
    Isn't pirating the new thing?

Credits
    As far as Soca goes I know of a company actively pursing an MP3 player dedicated to our music...

I honestly think that if that is truly the feeling of Apple and I-Tunes execs that the Caribbean community should get together for once and do they own damn thing...

I need to talk to someone at MTV/Tempo...

See why I stick to my blasted PC...to ass w/ Apple and they blasted products...

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Shy Boy
    but then again, who really PAYS for music on an mp3 now?
    Isn't pirating the new thing?
    but now they have banned sites where u can get free music tried to do it last week and it was blocked

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast