Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Anyone a teacher in NYC or familliar with the NYC school system

  1. #1
    SAME SH!T DIFFERNT TOILET HornaMan4Hire's Avatar HornaMan4Hire is offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    3,144
    Credits
    1,017,985

    Anyone a teacher in NYC or familliar with the NYC school system

    Anyone here know what Tracking is in the NYC school system...
    I heard about it when i was in school and i am so pissed that that practice is still used...

    It is a system where they track you all through school by putting you in classes... Classes that began with 1 meant you were top of the class, classes that began with 2 meant you were mid range and the 3s were horrible...
    How is a child supposed to perform if he is put in a 3 class. Its like when i was in private school how they used to seperate the class into two sides, good kids on one side and bad kids on the other. Lump children in a group with "bad kids" and the kid will live up to that expectation. Same way if you put a kid in a class that is known to be low performing, that child will go through school with low self-esteem, will only underperform because school administration told him that is all he can do and will never try to achieve any better...
    Last edited by HornaMan4Hire; 04-27-2005 at 12:41 PM.

  2. #2
    Eye of the Beholder! nytrini's Avatar nytrini is offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    on the outside lookin in
    Posts
    8,231
    Credits
    1,519,908
    Quote Originally Posted by HornaMan4Hire
    Anyone here know what Tracking is in the NYC school system...
    I heard about it when i was in school and i am so pissed that that practice is still used...

    It is a system where they track you all through school by putting you in classes... Classes that began with 1 meant you were top of the class, classes that began with 2 meant you were mid range and the 3s were horrible...
    How is a child supposed to perform if he is put in a 3 class. Its like when i was in private school how they used to seperate the class into two sides, good kids on one side and bad kids on the other. Lump children in a group with "bad kids" and the kid will live up to that expectation. Same way if you put a kid in a class that is known to be low performing, that child will go through school with low self-esteem...
    yep thats exactly what it is...and it still goes on

  3. #3
    Totee lickin shotz Bajan_bedroom_bully's Avatar Bajan_bedroom_bully is offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    bklyn
    Posts
    2,109
    Credits
    307,993
    the happens in the W.I too

    with General and Basic....every1 should do general!
    Last edited by Bajan_bedroom_bully; 04-27-2005 at 12:46 PM.

  4. #4
    Rum Aficionado/Soca-holic Rummy's Avatar Rummy is offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Posts
    20,352
    Credits
    1,027,691
    Oh yeah...I remember in middle school(in DC) they did that. I remember them having way too many students in the English class so dem just took one whole row & stuck them in the class w/ the students who didn't do so well in school(I was one of those people in that row). I remember breezing thru that class. The students already in the class were the ones always in detention or suspended. I didn't learn anything, but it was free time for me to do other work.

  5. #5
    Wuck up ya waist gyal SexyBajanGyal's Avatar SexyBajanGyal is offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Comin to a fete near you...BK ALL DAY!
    Posts
    8,269
    Credits
    1,015,784
    i never thought about it like that... i guess thats cuz i was always in the one class..

    gettin put in anything lower would have definetly crushed my spirits

  6. #6
    Registered User iPicong's Avatar iPicong is offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    JC/Brazil 2014
    Posts
    51,424
    Credits
    44,178,436

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by Bajan_bedroom_bully
    the happens in the W.I too
    Yeah my friend was reminding me the other day that I was in the Dunce class
    STATIC RADIO - www.islandmix.com/static
    Tunein Radio - Static Radio



    LR Advertising LLC

  7. #7
    Registered User BajanFyah83 is offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    !
    Posts
    3,101
    Credits
    1,056,361
    I went to school on Long Island and my district starts doing that from about 3rd grade with a couple of "bad apples" with de top kids and when you hit 7th grade its strictly HONORS, A track B track and so on. It was a big deal because my district is 85% minority but de Honors and A track classes were only 50% minority so the NAACP got involved at one point because they said de school was tracking by race, De only place the change came was from grades 3 to 6 when they try to mix in 4 or 5 kids in de higher classes who may not have been there before.

  8. #8
    SAME SH!T DIFFERNT TOILET HornaMan4Hire's Avatar HornaMan4Hire is offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    3,144
    Credits
    1,017,985
    Quote Originally Posted by SexyBajanGyal
    i never thought about it like that... i guess thats cuz i was always in the one class..

    gettin put in anything lower would have definetly crushed my spirits
    See why the system is retarded...
    since you were always in the ones you thought highly of yourself and you set a standard that you could not fall below...

    Now look at the kids in the 3s... an achievement ceiling has been set for them... you think they can aspire to rise above that ceiling. Until someone starts recongnizing their achievements and gives them positive reinforcement for them, they will always perform sub par... I wish i could do something to get rid of that stupid tracking practice

  9. #9
    Wuck up ya waist gyal SexyBajanGyal's Avatar SexyBajanGyal is offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Comin to a fete near you...BK ALL DAY!
    Posts
    8,269
    Credits
    1,015,784
    Quote Originally Posted by HornaMan4Hire
    See why the system is retarded...
    since you were always in the ones you thought highly of yourself and you set a standard that you could not fall below...

    Now look at the kids in the 3s... an achievement ceiling has been set for them... you think they can aspire to rise above that ceiling. Until someone starts recongnizing their achievements and gives them positive reinforcement for them, they will always perform sub par... I wish i could do something to get rid of that stupid tracking practice
    i highly agree with u...i thnk it should be brought to the school boards attention..and they should try to do something to revise the system

  10. #10
    elq
    Cleophus aka pupah lashie elq's Avatar elq is offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    21,977
    Credits
    1,516,009
    hold on a minute

    in barbados
    i went to kindergarten, then infant's A1, B1 then class 1-1, 2-1,3-1,4-1 then secondary school which was also numbered forms 1-1, 2-1,3-1 to upper 6th.

    there were kids in 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 etc in PRIMARY school but that didn't stop us from interacting because their number wasn't 1?!

    now using your train of thought. in the secondary school that i went to where you needed an 11+ (Common Entrance) score of at least 310/350 with an A for the essay, those kids that were in form 1-4, 1-3 and 1-2 felt that they were DUMBER than the kids in 1-1?

    Cuz that was not the case at all!

  11. #11
    Totee lickin shotz Bajan_bedroom_bully's Avatar Bajan_bedroom_bully is offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    bklyn
    Posts
    2,109
    Credits
    307,993
    it was the case in primary school....i was in A-1. B-1...up to 4-1...and de 4-3 ppl was dumber

    but in secondary school i was in in 1a4 and de ppl in 1a1 was stupider than we...it all mix up in secondary school

  12. #12
    elq
    Cleophus aka pupah lashie elq's Avatar elq is offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    21,977
    Credits
    1,516,009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bajan_bedroom_bully
    it was the case in primary school....i was in A-1. B-1...up to 4-1...and de 4-3 ppl was dumber

    but in secondary school i was in in 1a4 and de ppl in 1a1 was stupider than we...it all mix up in secondary school
    but de difference in primary school was that EVERYONE was given an opportunity to attend SECONDARY SCHOOL no matter what.

    even if you fail de common entrance, you were guaranteed admission to trade school. De 4-4 kids may not have been academically astute as the 4-2 kids but they weren't dehumanized either cuz dem was in 4-4 (or was dat because they'd kick 4-2 ass?hmmm?)

  13. #13
    Debble benjie's Avatar benjie is offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Bronx aka New Redonda
    Posts
    3,221
    Credits
    7,833
    Tracking in some cases can be perceived as bad but it can alos be good. people are a bit oversensitive regarding this matter. If you have a bunch of kids that are performing well, you put them together so that you can advance that class at a higher rate. That is what I thought the whole idea was. When you start mixing the class and you have kids that are more advanced than others the kids that are unable to grasp the concepts actually slow down the rest of the class because now the teacher now has to slow down the pace for those kids. It's not perfect because what they are missing is an acceleration track for the kids that are behind. (But then again, maybe that's where the parents come in to play) I could read and write before I started Kindergarten. Every one focuses on what the schools are doing and "what happens to the kids self esteem". What about the parents that don't check to make sure the kids did their homework or understand it? If you want your kids in the advanced program you have to make sure that they get up to speed. The first three years of a childs learning can dictate the rest. Push them to learn and be competetive. Their is nothing wrong with it. Their is also noothing wrong with comming in second or third but to mix kids on different learning levels I don't believe is a good thing!

  14. #14
    Registered User Rinababy's Avatar Rinababy is offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    10,776
    Credits
    1,115,624
    Interesting.....here in Ontario we have a similar system and it d referred to as "streaming" and it is/was very accepted. When I was in H.S. you had 3 levels Advanced, General, Basic.

    Advanced courses were geared towards university.

    General courses were geared towards community college/ or career colleges.

    Basic courses were geared towards workplace right out of highschool.

    It now been changed to Academic and Applied which are the same as Advanced and General and they got rid of the Basic level.

    There are some academics who are opposed to the system, but I think it was pretty effective actually.

  15. #15
    Debble benjie's Avatar benjie is offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Bronx aka New Redonda
    Posts
    3,221
    Credits
    7,833
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinababy
    Interesting.....here in Ontario we have a similar system and it d referred to as "streaming" and it is/was very accepted. When I was in H.S. you had 3 levels Advanced, General, Basic.

    Advanced courses were geared towards university.

    General courses were geared towards community college/ or career colleges.

    Basic courses were geared towards workplace right out of highschool.

    It now been changed to Academic and Applied which are the same as Advanced and General and they got rid of the Basic level.

    There are some academics who are opposed to the system, but I think it was pretty effective actually.
    The method has worked effectively in many countries. I wonder how many of the parents that are complaining about what level there kids are in were making sure that they were learning what they needede to do or just relying on the teachers who basically have no control over the kids?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •