Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anya leaving T&T for NYC

Credits

Anya leaving T&T for NYC

Anya confirms intention to move | Trinidad Express Newspaper | News

PROJECT Runway 2011 winner local designer Anya Ayoung-Chee yesterday confirmed her desire to move to New York during an appearance on the US's WPIX News.
    Ayoung-Chee, who was born in Cornell, New York, moved to Trinidad with her Trinidadian parents when she was two years old.
    The former Miss Trinidad and Tobago, who represented this country at the Miss Universe pageant, has been interviewed by a number of foreign media houses since her victory last Thursday on Project Runway, a US-based fashion reality TV series on the Lifetime channel.
    Ayoung-Chee copped a US$100,000 first prize, as well as US$10,000 as the Fan Favourite, a US$50,000 technology suite from HP and a fashion spread in Marie Claire magazine.
    On WPIX yesterday morning, Ayoung-Chee said the Fan Favourite prize was really a win for T&T and the Caribbean, where fans "voted like there was no tomorrow" in the days leading up to the show's finale.
    Asked if she has considered moving to New York, Ayoung-Chee said:
    "Absolutely. I love Trinidad and Tobago, but New York is my second home."
    Interviewer Sukanya Krishnan, a three-time Emmy Award-winning journalist, was fascinated by Ayoung-Chee's looks and heritage.
    She responded that her ethnicity was a mix of Indian, Chinese and other races.
    Ayoung-Chee also touted T&T as a place where it was easy to find people with multi-racial backgrounds.
    —Kim Boodram
    "Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses." -Plato

"god is the deification of a culture."
    -Dr Yosef ben-Jochannan

Credits
    The move makes sense.
    Our Queen went to sleep, her people left to weep....in song she lives on.

Long Live the Queen!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by chinky eyes View Post
    The move makes sense.
    I guess but not like she can't go back and forth as she wants..would have been really nice to see her build and export her line from T&T.
    "Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses." -Plato

-Dr Yosef ben-Jochannan

Taj
    Credits
    this was expected
    “A sharp knife never proclaims it’s sharpness to the world…but the first to fall against it becomes it’s advocate.”

You can put any face behind a mask but be careful cos someone else might be pretending. You might not be the only one with a secret -- Cassie/Gretel

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by BacchanalDiva View Post
    I guess but not like she can't go back and forth as she wants..would have been really nice to see her build and export her line from T&T.
    Hate to be a Debbie Downer, but I highly doubt systems are in place to make that happen. Not to mention it would probably be a royal headache.

Long Live the Queen!

Taj
    Credits
    lol talented designers IN NY cant even get picked up.

I'm happy she's going there cos she needs to learn the business side fast... she ain getting that in tnt plus all the magazines + editors + networking events are bet ny and europe
    “A sharp knife never proclaims it’s sharpness to the world…but the first to fall against it becomes it’s advocate.”

You can put any face behind a mask but be careful cos someone else might be pretending. You might not be the only one with a secret -- Cassie/Gretel

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Taj View Post
    lol talented designers IN NY cant even get picked up.

I'm happy she's going there cos she needs to learn the business side fast... she ain getting that in tnt plus all the magazines + editors + networking events are bet ny and europe
    Meant that as well.

Long Live the Queen!

Credits
    So allyuh saying no way to make it from Trini? Maybe I idealistic but I feel she could do it and be the pioneer to make the way for the next.

-Dr Yosef ben-Jochannan

Credits
    So allyuh saying no way to make it from Trini? Maybe I idealistic but I feel she could do it and be the pioneer to make the way for the next.
    Like Taj said she needs to immerse herself in it. Given the fact that fashion is pace, why waste time and money with all the flying. Realistically speaking, that's the way its done. People who live right here in America usually move to the NYC and or to Paris for a yr. or 2.

Long Live the Queen!

Taj
    Credits
    maybe when she established, not saying your way can NEVER work but why be a martyr for your country when it comes to your dream/business/career and end up like many past winners of project runway who ended up moreless broke again and their lines never survived more than 1 or 2 seasons these are ppl that are in the us maybe didn't move from la etc?

why set yourself up for failure just to say yuh patriotic? let her establish herself first ... if she does then make bigger moves from there.

I'm interested in what her brand will become
    will they force her into a jonathan saunders or issac mizrahi for target typa thing or chris siriano for payless
    or will they try to make her more real designer and upscale like cushine et ochs
    or will she be a strictly resort wear type designer (ppl in la, miami, st tropez typa crowd)? or will her design change being influenced by having to think in seasons and be more cutting edge like the Governers Island challenge?

So many questions and you want her to stay in trini where noone with an ounce of experience on that stage dwells. BD ah tink yuh en like d gyul lol

Credits
    sell out
    Im intoxicated and my speevg gettgdgget.... sorry. And my speech getting complicated

Credits
    great......honestly.....free post
    STATIC RADIO - www.islandmix.com/static
    Tunein Radio - Static Radio

LR Advertising LLC

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Taj View Post
    maybe when she established, not saying your way can NEVER work but why be a martyr for your country when it comes to your dream/business/career and end up like many past winners of project runway who ended up moreless broke again and their lines never survived more than 1 or 2 seasons these are ppl that are in the us maybe didn't move from la etc?

why set yourself up for failure just to say yuh patriotic? let her establish herself first ... if she does then make bigger moves from there.

I'm interested in what her brand will become
    will they force her into a jonathan saunders or issac mizrahi for target typa thing or chris siriano for payless
    or will they try to make her more real designer and upscale like cushine et ochs
    or will she be a strictly resort wear type designer (ppl in la, miami, st tropez typa crowd)? or will her design change being influenced by having to think in seasons and be more cutting edge like the Governers Island challenge?

So many questions and you want her to stay in trini where noone with an ounce of experience on that stage dwells. BD ah tink yuh en like d gyul lol
    doh say that nah, I already have a bad rep where she concerned

I see what yuh saying tho and if she makes a lasting name for herself she can do more for T&T in the long run.

-Dr Yosef ben-Jochannan

sharkie
    oh hor, she born in 'merica.

Credits
    2,466,130,003,239,999,894,719,398,969,643,979,951,637,561,03 2,240,627,990,921,216
    Quote Originally Posted by chinky eyes View Post
    The move makes sense.
    She brave to move in wid dem savages .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast