Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any physics nerds, er uh, people?

Credits

Question Any physics nerds, er uh, people?

i have a question about gravity.

i was watching this nerd show the other day about the micro gravity test chambers at NASA.

the guy said that there is really no such thing as zero gravity. every thing is in a constant state of free fall. falling towards the next closest thing with gravity greater than it.

my question is: when does the switch from having "weight" to "weightlessness" occur? where between positive and negative gravity does this theoretically happen?

Pimptress
    Quote Originally Posted by illuminati

i was watching this nerd show the other day about the micro gravity test chambers at NASA.

the guy said that there is really no such thing as zero gravity. every thing is in a constant state of free fall. falling towards the next closest thing with gravity greater than it.

my question is: when does the switch from having "weight" to "weightlessness" occur? where between positive and negative gravity does this theoretically happen?
    waits for doodle to come in

Credits

i would think somewhere b/w the outer atmosphere of the earth and space

could be wrong though

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimptress
    waits for doodle to come in
    Just for that.....

AH ENT ANSWERIN

Pimptress
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Doodle
    Just for that.....

AH ENT ANSWERIN

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by ringo357
    i would think somewhere b/w the outer atmosphere of the earth and space

could be wrong though
    makes sense, but with these experiments they were doing, they were saying that the object can experience "weightlessness" as it starts to approach the bottom of the chamber. so, it's possible at a high enough drop and just enough drag to experience this on earth. from what i gathered.

Credits
    Just for that.....

AH ENT ANSWERIN
    i didn't say anything to her , so can i get the answer?

Credits
    makes sense, but with these experiments they were doing, they were saying that the object can experience "weightlessness" as it starts to approach the bottom of the chamber. so, it's possible at a high enough drop and just enough drag to experience this on earth. from what i gathered.
    Yuh does ever hear of inertia?

Credits
    ok u lost me @ bottom of the chamber but i think i kinda understand what u are tryin to say and what u were tryin to ask now

DJ Trixx
    ok....*dusts off physics book*

The state of wieghtlessness is due to either and extremely high velocity away from an object towards another or a very large distance between a very large object or small object.

So logically, wieghtlessness occurs when the attraction between the larger object and the smaller object are at its smallest, or when a velocity so high is reached by the smaller object, that it negates the force pulling it towards the other larger object...

Ex: Throwing a baseball...it doesn't fall to the ground until it looses much of its velocity.

Credits
    i didn't say anything to her , so can i get the answer?
    Well, what is weight....weight is equal to mass multiplied by the force of gravity. Inertia is the negative force to gravity so that gravity doesn't crush us. So basically, look at it this way....if you were to go further away from earth, your weight would decrease becase the gravitational pull is less....also, inertia would decrease in the same way. Of course the gravity that exerts from the earth never reaches 0. Therefore weightlessness is defined (loosely) as mass * the limit of gravity approaching 0. Since it never reaches 0, there is no such thing as weightlessness.

Credits
    Yuh does ever hear of inertia?
    yes, but this man ain't mention nuftin bout inertia. okay, here's the experiment set up.
    they have a large outside box that obviously creates the drag for the experiment. inside that box, is a medium size box 7 inches all around smaller than the drag box. this is the box that experiences the "constant state of freefall," and in the med. box is the actual experiment that contains liquids, or combustants so they can see how these things react to "micro gravity."

they drop the boxes a few hundred feet (i think it was 350ft.) to help simulate micro gravity, but not complete weightlessness. so that's why my question came about.

Credits
    instant headache

runs outta post
    Some men move mountains
    Some women move men who move mountains
    Most women with mountains move some men
    But I...I am a woman who is moved by men who can get through the valley

Queen GodIs

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugahkhayne
    instant headache

runs outta post
    Hey stranger, where yuh been. Was thinkin yuh ent like meh no more Well, maybe you dont :p

Credits

The motion of an object moving under the influence of gravity only, and no other is called free fall. The length, or magnitude, of free-fall acceleration is known as the acceleration due to gravity, and is denoted as g = 9.8m/s2. G, by definition, is always positive because g is not the acceleration a(free fall), but simply its magnitude. When you break acceleration up into its x and y components, ay = a(free fall) = -g. It is ay that is negative, not g. "Weightless" does not mean "no weight."An object that is weightless has no apparent weight. The apparent weight does not describe how much one weighs on a scale, but measures the magnitude of the contact force that supports the object. Someone's weight is still mass x acceleration because gravity is still pulling down on him/her, but he/she has no sensation of weight when experiencing free fall. If an austronaut tries to stand on a scale, it does not exert any force against her feet and reads zero.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast