Thread: Any I-mixers in Rhode Island, I need your help...

Credits

Unhappy Any I-mixers in Rhode Island, I need your help...

I'm putting this article up becuase my woman's little cousin was shot dead this weekend over some bull$hit. As per the case, he was and a party, words got exchanged and the rest was history.

To make it even worse, his brother tried to come to his aid and he's in the hospital's ICU becuase they beat him so badly. I know some of you have younger siblings and even still some you may be of that age wher you might have known what's going on. If so, please contact the local authorities about what you know. That family left a war-torn country to find peace here in this one only to get one of there own gunned down over some dottishness. Makes no damned sense. The rest of you, I only as for you to say a prayer. not for this family in particular, but just for this foolishness with our youth and our people to end. Here's the article from the local newspaper:

Although the police believe that several people were at the scene of the fatal shooting, "We haven't had a lot of cooperation," says police Maj. Stephen Campbell.

01:00 AM EDT on Tuesday, August 2, 2005

BY KAREN LEE ZINER and GREGORY SMITH Journal Staff Writers

PROVIDENCE -- Errol Clinton was shot to death near an intersection in Elmwood where fear of the teenagers who routinely hang out there forces some residents inside before nightfall.

It's an area that some residents say is rife with drugs; where one woman says she drives to a convenience store a block away because she is too afraid to walk; and another who says teens lobbed a brick at her when she asked them to move off her front stairs.

What prompted the shooting at Sackett and Balcom streets early Sunday remains a mystery.

"It's our belief that there are a number of people who were present at the scene," Providence police Maj. Stephen Campbell, chief of the detective division, said last night. "We haven't had a lot of cooperation. We're hopeful that there's someone out there who will help us along."

Yesterday, a father, whose fear for his children "was being in the wrong place at the wrong time," grieved the loss of a son who might have been caught in just those circumstances.

"With kids, all you can do is teach them the right way and root them in the ground solidly and pray to God that things will be all right," Julius Clinton said during an interview at his Mount Pleasant home. ". . . When a promising young child is whisked away, I can't describe the pain."

Clinton, 16, a student at Mount Pleasant High School, was pronounced dead at Rhode Island Hospital. His brother, Julius Clinton Jr., 17, also a student at Mount Pleasant, suffered a fractured eye socket after being punched during the incident, according to the police.

Errol Clinton was the third male 18 years or younger to be shot to death in Providence in the past four months. He is the 12th homicide victim this year; those include a 14-year-old boy who was shot to death in June in a dispute over $10 he owed for a hair-braiding.

Campbell gave a sequence of events late Saturday night and early Sunday leading up to the shooting.

The boys were attempting to go to a party on Balcom Street after first being turned away from an event at a South Providence recreation center, where capacity had been reached, Campbell said.

Before the boys were able to enter the Balcom Street party, words were exchanged with several young men, and both boys were assaulted, Campbell said.

They began running, and Errol fell dead about 25 yards from the house on Balcom (a small, dead-end street off Sackett, close to Broad Street).

A police report said Errol Clinton was found in front of 21 Sackett St. with a gunshot wound.

Campbell said there were more than 100 people outside on Balcom Street when police arrived, 20 seconds after receiving multiple calls at 12:08 a.m. for shots fired at Balcom and Sackett streets.

He said the first unit was from one of the new Neighborhood Response Teams, made up of a state trooper riding with a local officer.

Campbell declined to release further details about how many times the boy was shot, or where.

Residents, who did not want their names used, said yesterday they saw Errol lying on the sidewalk next to a junked stove, and was clutching his stomach and "shaking" before a rescue arrived.

Julius and his mother, Cherisee Cooper, were in seclusion at their Washington Park home yesterday, where family and friends stopped by throughout the afternoon. Relatives said Cooper was too distraught to be interviewed.

Julius Clinton, who came to this country from Liberia in 1980 with his parents, described the tragic irony of early Sunday morning.

He and his sister had been waiting at Rhode Island Hospital's emergency room for hours, for news of Julius' father, who was being treated there.

"Past midnight, we left for food, because he had not been admitted yet. My sister, my girlfriend and I went to Bickford's" for something to eat.

"As I was leaving the hospital, I saw all these kids, some of them that I knew. I was wondering what was going on," he Clinton said.

Just as the three were being served at Bickford's, his sister's cell phone rang. It was their mother.

His mother said, "You need to get to the hospital. One of your sons has been shot. Which one, I don't know, but it doesn't look good."

When they rushed back to the hospital, "then it dawned on me why all those kids were there."

Some of the boy's friends were also at Hasbro Children's Hospital, where Julius Jr. was being treated.

Friends and relatives described Errol as a respectful, friendly boy whose main interest was music, especially rap.

"He did most of his compositions on the computer," at his mother's house, said the father.

Meanwhile, outside 21 Sackett St. yesterday, torn yellow police tape and a small pool of blood were the sole remnants of Clinton's shooting.

The most recent homicides in Providence occurred in April and June.

On April 6, Barry D. Ferrell II, 18, student council president at the Alternate Learning Project public high school, was gunned down near a bus stop at the Hartford Park housing project. A 16-year-old suspect is in custody.

On June 28, Jamont Richardson, 14, was shot to death in the Smith Hill neighborhood in a dispute over an unpaid $10 bill for a hair-braiding. Two brothers, ages 17 and 14, are charged in the killing. Attorney General Patrick C. Lynch has requested Family Court permission to try the boys as adults, in Superior Court.

Credits

Cool

Damn Kev, sorry to hear bout de youth! Prayers go out tuh he family.

Now allyuh see why ah does be saying dat we need tougher punishment for deez lil wutless youth. I say we start executing deez lil punks one by one! Commit ah crime, yuh geh executed. Den things go change!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Soca Taliban
    Damn Kev, sorry to hear bout de youth! Prayers go out tuh he family.

Now allyuh see why ah does be saying dat we need tougher punishment for deez lil wutless youth. I say we start executing deez lil punks one by one! Commit ah crime, yuh geh executed. Den things go change!
    thanks tali. however, I don't think that would solve the problem. I beleive that it would fix things in the short term, but as for the long term, we still live in a society which perpetuates violence. These kids need to be educated. If after the education doesn't work, then I'd be online with some stricter penalties.

I was talking to some youth out in SE DC and thse kids actually told me that you'e nothing on the streets if you don't have a rep (meaning your placed into the group of being a hustler - robbing people for things that you don't have, a player - screwing as many females around your way as possible, or a ganster - someone who walks with heat and is not afraid to use it.)

It seems like going to school and getting and education means nothing to some of them. Really some facked up stuff. I'm at a point now where I want to work wiht them, but I don't even know where to start!!!

Credits

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by kevlocks
    thanks tali. however, I don't think that would solve the problem. I beleive that it would fix things in the short term, but as for the long term, we still live in a society which perpetuates violence. These kids need to be educated. If after the education doesn't work, then I'd be online with some stricter penalties.

I was talking to some youth out in SE DC and thse kids actually told me that you'e nothing on the streets if you don't have a rep (meaning your placed into the group of being a hustler - robbing people for things that you don't have, a player - screwing as many females around your way as possible, or a ganster - someone who walks with heat and is not afraid to use it.)

It seems like going to school and getting and education means nothing to some of them. Really some facked up stuff. I'm at a point now where I want to work wiht them, but I don't even know where to start!!!
    Boss I'm sorry eh, but deez lil jackassholes have no excuse. The amount of information and education that is readily available to these lil gangaholes is plentyful. There are programs and things in place to help these lil punks, but they don't make good use of them. Like you say, they'd rather be bullin all de lil ghetto crabs rather than trying to read and study and make better use of their time. So when they go out a commit these vicious crimes, I have no sympathy or tolerance for them. Now they'll commit these crimes and go to jail to get street credit, but ah bet yuh all that will change if when yuh go tuh jail, yuh lil punk self doh come back out alive. Street credit is only good if yuh heart still beating!

vincy_socababy
    take care of her kev, tell her i say to bless up, he's gone to a better place eh.

i was talking to a friend this morning about the state of things in the world today. man i just don't know what the hell is really going on these days. but i'm damn scared.

Credits
    That's so sad. My condolences go out to his family.

I will be surprised if anyone comes forward with information. Providence is small but gangs rule. People will be too scared to talk.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by vincy_socababy
    take care of her kev, tell her i say to bless up, he's gone to a better place eh.

i was talking to a friend this morning about the state of things in the world today. man i just don't know what the hell is really going on these days. but i'm damn scared.
    thanks babes. Trying to see what's going on with funeral arrangments this weekend.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by sk gyal
    That's so sad. My condolences go out to his family.

I will be surprised if anyone comes forward with information. Providence is small but gangs rule. People will be too scared to talk.
    What is it like up there

I've never been anywhere past NY further up north except Boston.

Credits

Update on Situation

Night of shooting recounted
    Julius Clinton Jr., the brother of murder victim Errol Clinton, says Sunday's attack on them was unprovoked.

01:40 AM EDT on Friday, August 5, 2005

BY KAREN LEE ZINER
    Journal Staff Writer

PROVIDENCE -- A dirty look, gunfire, and mayhem.

That's what Julius Clinton Jr. recalls as he tries to piece together the events leading to his brother's slaying early Sunday on a crowded street in Elmwood, outside a house where a party was in progress.

A young guy in a crowd of about 40 got in Errol Clinton's face. The man was about 18 years old, but neither of the brothers knew who he was, says Julius, known to family and friends as "L.J." (for Little Julius).

Minutes later, Errol lay dead or dying of a gunshot wound, on a sidewalk on Sackett Street. He would not live to see 17.

"It was a look. He gave us a dirty look," said 17-year-old L.J., who spoke publicly for the first time yesterday since his brother's death -- as did Cherisee Lucinda Cooper, the boys' mother.

Journal photo / Andrew D!ckerman

Cherisee Lucinda Cooper, right, and her 10-year-old daughter, Cherisee Chekeida Cooper, talk yesterday about the murder of their son and brother, 16-year-old Errol Clinton.

"He made it clear he wanted problems. He made sure we all knew he wasn't happy that we were there," said L.J. "He gave us the look. Then he stepped in my brother's face, and said, 'Who you lookin' at? Who the . . . you lookin' at,' and then he started swinging at my brother."

L.J. said he's not sure what happened after that, because he and his brother were separated in the crowd.

But someone opened fire, and a gunshot, or shots, struck Errol.

Meanwhile, someone smacked L.J. in the face, breaking his nose and eyesocket. He says he does not know by whom, or with what he was struck.

L.J. wore dark sunglasses as he sat with his mother and sister, Cherisee cq Chekeida Coopercq , 10, in their Washington Park home. He lifted them briefly, showing stitches across his nose and purple bruising beneath his right eye.

"It's swollen," Chekeida said in a voice barely above a whisper.

Friends and family sat quietly in darkened rooms, where fans whirred in the heat and framed pictures of Errol rested on tables and countertops. Members of God's Family Church in Cranston, including the Rev. Paul Fa k u n t e, were among those at the house. Upstairs, people were joined in prayer.

Cooper says she's worried about her children, and her sons' friends.

"They are devastated. They are not eating," says Cooper, of her chilren. They were reluctant to talk with the social workers who have been at the home to offer counseling. And she knows that her sons' friends "keep going to the site where his body was lying, every day, and crying."

But Cooper says, "I know that God will heal my entire family. I don't believe in retaliation or any kind of vengeance."

Whoever did this to her sons needs help, she says. "Whoever he is, I do forgive him. I don't think he meant it. People do things," she says, "and later regret them."

If the police arrest a suspect, "putting him behind bars is not the solution. He needs love, and counseling."

As for L.J., who remains clearly traumatized by these events, the social workers told him, "If you have to cry, let it out."

COOPER CAME to this country from Liberia 20 years ago. She is divorced from Julius Clinton, the children's father, who lives in the Valley section.

She says she supports her three children through her job as a certified nurse's assistant.

"My sons did ask me [if they could] go out" on Saturday night. "They usually do -- they don't do things behind my back," she says.

Cooper was working at the Coventry Health Center early Sunday when a friend called her just after midnight. "She said she had some issues to discuss -- she made up some story," says Cooper.

"Then I got another call, from the hospital. The hospital said there was a car accident. I said, 'Is anybody dead?' They said, 'No -- but we need you to come' " in the event that one of her boys needed surgery.

At the time, Cooper did not believe that either of her sons had been killed, but she nonetheless felt sick to her stomach. Friends drove her to the Rhode Island/Hasbro Children's hospital complex.

Pastor F a k u n t e and his wife met Cooper there.

"He and his wife stayed with me at the hospital. He came when I had to ID the body, and stayed with Julius when he had a CT scan," says Cooper.

At least 50 members of the church stayed from midnight until the next morning, "and there were 200 kids from the high school [Mount Pleasant]" waiting in the emergency rooms at both Rhode Island and Hasbro Children's hospitals during the night, Cooper says.

When she saw her son's body, "he looked like he was sleeping."

Pastor F a k u n t e was still by Cooper's side yesterday. He said he told L.J., Chekeida and their friends about "the reality of death."

"Whether you are young or old, whether you are black or white," death does not discriminate, the pastor said.

Secondly, "we let them know it is normal for them to grieve, and that grieving is not just today. It's going to be for as long as it takes. . . ." He told them that as Christians, they must know that "death is not the end."

Cooper extended her thanks yesterday to Rhode Island Hospital and to the community at large for helping her family. She said that relatives and friends are coming to the wake and funeral next week from around the country, and from Africa.

Asked what people could do to help, Cooper said, "Pray for us."

A fund has been set up to help the family pay for funeral costs. Donations may be made to the Errol Clinton Memorial Fund, c/o Citizens Bank, 10 West Shore Road, Warwick, RI 02889.

Karen Lee Ziner may be reached at (401) 277-7375, or kziner [at] projo.com

Mommy Dearest **Vincy-Soca-Diva**'s Avatar **Vincy-Soca-Diva** is offline
    Credits
    boi no place safe anymore.

I agree that you should help most definetly. Where to start I don't know. I've been thinking many kids these days have no manners or up brining because there mothers and fathers were children themselves. As a child or teenaer you feel you know everything, and you feel the route your parents went was in correct (sometimes not all the time), and you vow to not be like them.

I can honestly say you must fisnish your childhood first before you decide to do adult things. I know I said it when I was 16 but parts of me felt I was adult enough to handle a child. I am 21 and still feel i have plenty of growing up to do. Some of these kids mothers you can't talk to because they are just as ignorant. Other parents don't give a damn abouttheir kid because they felt their life went by too too fast. When I was in Junior High school about 4 girls got pregnant. 2 kept their kids the others had abortions We were all 13 and 14. Imagine your little borther or sister or child getting pregnant now what would you do? Some of these teenage mothers were kicked out of their homes with no place to go.

For some it's a poor excuse for the youths today but it's a logical explanation. Thik back to when you played dolls when you were a child. As a child you felt you could be the greatest mom because you learned all from your mom. But we all know as a child you had a lot of growing and maturing to do before you could know what was best for you.

Kev I send my prayers to you and you have my full support. I hope the things I wrote made sense to you.
    Link me on fassbook http://www.facebook.com/#!/SocaDivaChandelle
    2 Sweet 2 B 4Gotten:)

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by **Vincy-Soca-Diva**
    boi no place safe anymore.

I agree that you should help most definetly. Where to start I don't know. I've been thinking many kids these days have no manners or up brining because there mothers and fathers were children themselves. As a child or teenaer you feel you know everything, and you feel the route your parents went was in correct (sometimes not all the time), and you vow to not be like them.

I can honestly say you must fisnish your childhood first before you decide to do adult things. I know I said it when I was 16 but parts of me felt I was adult enough to handle a child. I am 21 and still feel i have plenty of growing up to do. Some of these kids mothers you can't talk to because they are just as ignorant. Other parents don't give a damn abouttheir kid because they felt their life went by too too fast. When I was in Junior High school about 4 girls got pregnant. 2 kept their kids the others had abortions We were all 13 and 14. Imagine your little borther or sister or child getting pregnant now what would you do? Some of these teenage mothers were kicked out of their homes with no place to go.

For some it's a poor excuse for the youths today but it's a logical explanation. Thik back to when you played dolls when you were a child. As a child you felt you could be the greatest mom because you learned all from your mom. But we all know as a child you had a lot of growing and maturing to do before you could know what was best for you.

Kev I send my prayers to you and you have my full support. I hope the things I wrote made sense to you.
    Thanks for your support