Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ANTIGUA'S BUSINESS IS WE BUSINESS OYEEEEe

Credits

ANTIGUA'S BUSINESS IS WE BUSINESS OYEEEEe

Antigua's business is your business and my business, says St Vincent PM

Published on Friday, August 28, 2009

KINGSTOWN, St Vincent and the Grenadines -- A call has been made by Prime Minster of St Vincent and the Grenadines Dr Ralph Gonsalves for the Caribbean to support Antigua and Barbuda as it experiences a phenomenal decline in its economy. Dr Gonsalves made this plea to the region as he addressed the 7th Annual OECS Summit which was held at the Methodist Church Hall from August 20-22 under the theme 'Credit Unions: Standing Firm in Uncertain Times'.

Prime Minister of St Vincent and the Grenadines, Ralph Gonsalves

The Prime Minister pointed out that Antigua and Barbuda has maintained 25 percent of the Gross Domestic Product, GDP, in the OECS and has lost 35 percent in revenues this year.

“If I were Minister of Finance (of Antigua & Barbuda) I would not sleep if I lost revenues of 35 percent. Antigua & Barbuda has had several assaults on the economy…The government of Antigua & Barbuda sought heroic efforts to arrest this problem but the on rushing events have come so swiftly and suddenly that it has been difficult for the economy to take the normal ameliorative corrective measures,” the Vincentian Prime Minister said.

Gonsalves noted that assaults inflected upon the twin-island state include issues such as the global financial meltdown, the Stanford Bank fiasco and the decline in the tourism sector.

The Vincentian leader also emphasized that historically, Antigua & Barbuda has been very helpful to the sub-region, since when its economy was growing, it made indirect input to the OECS Currency Union of the Eastern Caribbean Dollar.

He advised, “Now that Antigua & Barbuda is facing these extra ordinary difficulties it is incumbent that all of us not only out of a sense of solidarity with Antigua & Barbuda, but in our own interest ourselves, in order to protect the Eastern Caribbean Currency Union and our financial system.”

Gonsalves noted that economic history and not monetary theory has proven that the experiences of Trinidad, Guyana and Jamaica have shown that it is crucial to keep the foreign exchange up or the local currency will suffer. Gonsalves also stated that there are 18 indigenous banks in the Eastern Caribbean Currency Union that are relatively weak and fragmented. He sternly emphasized that if these institutions, which have pre-existing structural weaknesses, are not dealt with quickly, they can become acute and thereby becoming systemic risks.

The Prime Minister however noted that what is happening externally is influencing the indigenous banking sector and that it was critical for the region to stay united.

“Like your credit union, an institution which grew out of difficult times for solidarity for people and for development, they have played a remarkable impact on the developmental challenges in the current circumstances.

“You have to take a new guard and work tighter and closer with one another for each of us to protect the better interest of each other, Dr Gonsalves said.

Gonsalves said that it was crucial for the OECS governments to use the struggle of the global economic crisis to become “action-focused” and not paralyzed.

Caribbean Net News: Antigua's business is your business and my business, says St Vincent PM

Credits
    so what he means is hurricane sir Allen has devastated Antigua and could take the OECS with it

watched a show last night saying they have 25 billion lawsuit against the government of Antigua in connection with the sir allen mess

more loans from the Chinese and Venezuelans to the rescue

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by jahblessed View Post
    so what he means is hurricane sir Allen has devastated Antigua and could take the OECS with it

watched a show last night saying they have 25 billion lawsuit against the government of Antigua in connection with the sir allen mess

more loans from the Chinese and Venezuelans to the rescue
    CLOSED DE BORDERS, DE ANTIGUANS are COMING.

MUDDERWUK!!!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by VINCYPOWA View Post

MUDDERWUK!!!
    lol

Credits
    I DOH FEEL like GOING in the ARCHIVES to POST the EXACT QUOTES, but I REMEMBER when some ANTIGUANS were DEFENDING STANFORD....saying how MUCH GOOD he was DOING for ANTIGUA....and how it was RIGHT THING to do KNIGHT him.

I am WONDERING HOW THOSE same IMIXERS FEEL, now that WE KNOW he has BAMBOOZLED the NATION of ANTIGUA??

Credits

MUDDERWUK!!!

You wait long pon dat. The amount of Antiguans with green card and picknee born in the States. Tarl!

Credits
    I DOH FEEL like GOING in the ARCHIVES to POST the EXACT QUOTES, but I REMEMBER when some ANTIGUANS were DEFENDING STANFORD....saying how MUCH GOOD he was DOING for ANTIGUA....and how it was RIGHT THING to do KNIGHT him.

I am WONDERING HOW THOSE same IMIXERS FEEL, now that WE KNOW he has BAMBOOZLED the NATION of ANTIGUA??
    At the same time at ground zero, A LOT of Antiguans have criticized Stanford. Everyday on radio call in programs in Antigua, Stanford was lambased left right and centre. In fact, the current government and him had a big falling out just before the whole thing blow up cause he want dictate how they must run things. The former government gave him everything he wanted and thats one of the reasons we got rid of them.

Contrary to what allu think a lot of us (Antiguans) didn't have Stanford as no god. There are so many people going around now with this "I told you so" attitude.
    Last edited by Islandtyme; 08-28-2009 at 03:38 PM.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Islandtyme View Post
    At the same time at ground zero, A LOT of Antiguans have critizised Stanford. Everyday on radio call in programs in Antigua, Stanford was lambased left right and centre. In fact, the current government and him had a big falling out just before the whole thing blow up cause he want dictate how they must run things. The former government gave him everything he wanted and thats one of the reasons we got rid of them.

Contrary to what allu think a lot of us (Antiguans) didn't have Stanford as no god. There are so many people going around now with this "I told you so" attitude.
    I SEE

Ok

Credits
    I SEE

Ok
    Why do I get the feeling you're being sarcastic?...

Credits
    Why do I get the feeling you're being sarcastic?...
    I READ your PERSPECTIVE on the ISSUE and I've DECIDED to LEAVE it at that.

Credits
    I READ your PERSPECTIVE on the ISSUE and I've DECIDED to LEAVE it at that.
    Ok

I See

Credits
    Ok

I See

now that lookin sarcastic...
    Dragon IG :: http://instagram.com/islandmixusa

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingram_Gordon View Post

now that lookin sarcastic...

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by vincypowa View Post
    closed de borders, de antiguans are coming.

Mudderwuk!!!
    lol.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by BAJANFUHLIFE View Post
    lol.
    we comin to BIM..

we hear y'all have nice road
    Dragon IG :: http://instagram.com/islandmixusa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast