Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antigua and Barbuda, Barbados and St Vincent want reparations

Credits

Arrow Antigua and Barbuda, Barbados and St Vincent want reparations

Caribbean countries call for slavery reparations
    Published on September 26, 2011 Email To Friend Print Version

By Caribbean News Now contributor

NEW YORK, USA -- Three Caribbean countries -- Antigua and Barbuda, Barbados and St Vincent and the Grenadines – on Saturday called for reparations for injustices suffered by African slaves and their descendants.

Baldwin Spencer, Prime Minister and Minister for Foreign Affairs of Antigua and Barbuda, addressing the general debate of the sixty-sixth session of the UN General Assembly. UN Photo/Evan Schneider
    The prime minister of Antigua and Barbuda, Baldwin Spencer, said that segregation and violence against people of African descent had impaired their capacity for advancement as nations, communities and individuals.

“None should disagree that racism and other legacies of slavery continue to shape the lives of people of African descent – thus reparations must be directed toward repairing the damage inflicted by slavery and racism,” Spencer told the UN General Assembly’s annual general debate in New York.

He stressed that former slave-owning states should begin a reconciliation process by formally apologizing for the crimes committed by those nations or their citizens over the 400 years of the African slave trade.

“And to help counter the lingering damage inflicted on generations of peoples of African descent by generations of slave-trading and colonialism, we call on those very States to back up their apologies with new commitments to the economic development of the nations that have suffered from this human tragedy,” said Spencer.

He said that planned African Diaspora Summit in South Africa next year will provide a platform for the African Diaspora to put in place economic policies that will ensure sustained economic cooperation among public and private stakeholders to promote development, entrepreneurship and business opportunities in Diaspora regions.

Barbados also renewed its call for "meaningful and innovative reparations" globally for people of African descent as past and continuing victims of racial discrimination.

Barbados Minister of Culture, Stephen Lashley
    Minister of Culture, Stephen Lashley, raised the issue on Saturday while addressing a one-day United Nations High-Level Meeting to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the adoption of the Durban Declaration and Programme of Action in New York. This Declaration calls for the universal ratification of the International Convention of the Elimination of all Forms of Racial Discrimination.

Lashley told those present that funding targeted at national economic development, as well as resources intended to support social programmes designed to counter the attacks on the self-worth of people of African descent should be included in these reparations.

"Such programmes are being implemented in Barbadian schools and communities, and they investigate, identify and counter those messages and images that negate the value of the knowledge and culture of people of African descent by building awareness of the fundamental contribution of African peoples to world civilisation," he explained.

The minister argued that continuous investigation, monitoring, and reporting of acts of racial discrimination must be a priority if the full potential of all individuals and groups within all nations was to be realised, and their human rights protected.

He conceded that not all countries possessed the technical or financial resources for that type of surveillance which would also serve as the basis for reporting to the Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination.

"It is critical, therefore, that priority be given to providing technical and financial resources to States, as well as regional and international bodies for the development of institutionalised systems of surveillance. Barbados is proposing a model for one such system of surveillance and will seek to collaborate with other nations for its full development and implementation," he disclosed.

Acknowledging that racial discrimination had been widely recognised as a root cause of war and inhumanity, Lashley said it must be given the highest priority and resources required to properly address its perpetuation and consequences. He expressed the view that the challenge would be inherently difficult and complex, but not insurmountable, if those involved remained focus, fair and relevant.

He reassured the meeting that the government of Barbados remained committed to eradicating the scourge of racial discrimination, wherever it might occur.

The minister also called for significant resources to be allocated to fund national, regional and international multi-ethnic research centres to develop new conceptual tools for understanding the complex nature of racial discrimination.

"In the Caribbean, the site of the longest and deepest social experiment in building societies based on a complex of racial shades [is] the University of the West Indies [and it] can be one such centre to study ethnic relations," he suggested.

Lashley praised those involved in the project to erect a Permanent Memorial at the United Nations Headquarters to honour the victims of slavery and the transatlantic slave trade.

Ralph Gonsalves, Prime Minister of St Vincent and the Grenadines. UN Photo/Marco Castro
    While the United Nations this year pays tribute to anti-slavery fighters, there must also be an apology and reparation for the Atlantic Slave Trade, St Vincent and the Grenadines’ (SVG) Prime Minister Dr Ralph Gonsalves said on Saturday.

The UN has declared 2011 the International Year for People of African Descent and Gonsalves told the General Debate he was grateful that the UN has hosted events to raise awareness of the challenges facing people of African descent and foster discussions on potential solutions to tackle these challenges.

“The people of St Vincent and the Grenadines have a long and proud history of resistance to slavery, bigotry and genocide, dating back to the heroic resistance of the Garifuna peoples against British aggression in the late 1700s,” Gonsalves said of his multi-island Caribbean nation.

“While we celebrate the noble heroism of the famous and the faceless who resisted racist colonial hegemony, we must continue to confront the legacy of this barbarism and continuing injustice. The wounds of this era are deep, the crimes against humanity are clear, and the necessity for apology and reparations are undeniable,” said Gonsalves, who is of Portuguese descent.

He told world leader that racial discrimination was justified and became itself the justification for a brutal, exploitative and dehumanising system of production that was perfected during the transatlantic slave trade and ingrained over the course of colonial domination.

The structure of the modern world is still “firmly rooted in a past of slavers and colonialist exploitation,” he further said.

“Today, every single country of the world with a population of majority African descent is still trapped in the periphery of our global economic and developmental systems,” Gonsalves noted.

He said that the peoples of African descent “remain disadvantaged, individually and systemically, by this entrenched and unyielding cycle of discrimination.

“Indeed, many of the wars that the UN struggles mightily to quell or avoid are rooted in the ignorant and avaricious cartography of European colonisers,” he further said.

Gonsalves told the UN that in the remaining months of this year “we must ramp-up efforts to confront the challenges facing the people of African descent, seek justice for historical and modern wrongs, and celebrate the rich and diverse African culture, in all of its glorious manifestations”.

He further said that discussion about peoples of African Descent this year couldn’t take place without highlighting “the enormous humanitarian challenges facing the peoples of the Horn of Africa and Haiti.

“The East African famine and its attendant refugee and security problems require urgent attention and massive response,” Gonsalves argued.

“We are not a civilized global society if we cannot address and banish the extreme poverty and starvation faced by the people of this region. Similarly, the situation faced by the citizens of our sister state of Haiti remains precarious. Now is the time for the international community to redouble, rather than reduce, the support and assistance given to the government and people of Haiti,” Gonsalves said.

The United Nations, the Barbados Government Information Service and Kenton X. Chance contributed to this report.

Credits
    Where VP @?

Credits
    YES!!!

we broke..

i could do wid a 2 million sterling right now
    Dragon IG :: http://instagram.com/islandmixusa

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingram_Gordon View Post
    YES!!!

we broke..

i could do wid a 2 million sterling right now
    I really wanna see how this gonna play out

Credits
    easy..

launch two rockets in gaza..

have a small war happen

then US elections

wid Obama winning and causing a stir

and we all forget bout the money
    Dragon IG :: http://instagram.com/islandmixusa

Credits
    I hope Ralph Gonsalves is a descendent of Portugese indentured workers and his family were not slave handlers in any way.

BTW this does not make sense at all

How about the African countries that were involved in slavery, would they have to pay reperation too?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Man of Mystery View Post
    I hope Ralph Gonsalves is a descendent of Portugese indentured workers and his family were not slave handlers in any way.

How about the African countries that were involved in slavery, would they have to pay reperation too?
    Exactly.

People don't realise that many African states got incredibly wealthy off of slavery as well, so if we were to ask for reparations who gon pay dem back, just the White man or the African as well?

Anyway, Ralph Gonçalves heself probably descended from slave traders anyway, Portuguese dominated that business lol. If anything he should start open he bank book and write out checks to the people of Vincyland

YUH SEEE MEEEEEEEEEE
    "sa ki ta'w sé ta'w, la rivié pé pa chayé'l "

Father, before mi mind get bad
    Betta yuh flip it round and mek mi mind get mad
    Mi prefer fi work hard everyday fi achieve mi goals
    Nah grudge nobody fi dem own

Xoe
    Credits
    Black Americans tried some crap like this before. I was in college in the US at the time. They pretty much got laughed off. Reparations for slavery gtfo. But hey if I get a check in the mail I would be glad to cash it

DSP
    Credits

There you go typing without knowing. If I was leader of any African country and somebody came to me with that I would tell them to start at home first. Most of the black slave traders who sold Africans were tricked into slavery themselves. Karma happend sooner rather than later. This is why I love dna, it never lies. It may not always be clear but it never lies. DNA and slave records show that slave traders transporting the criminals and prisoners of war would be tricked or forced into slavery. Some got drunk and partied with the white slave traders, woke next day tied up with the people they sold. Lets not even get into the blacks and
    natives who owned slaves in the WEst Indies and America.

Quote Originally Posted by SKBai1991 View Post
    Exactly.

People don't realise that many African states got incredibly wealthy off of slavery as well, so if we were to ask for reparations who gon pay dem back, just the White man or the African as well?

Anyway, Ralph Gonçalves heself probably descended from slave traders anyway, Portuguese dominated that business lol. If anything he should start open he bank book and write out checks to the people of Vincyland

YUH SEEE MEEEEEEEEEE
    Name the states, where are there corporations and record books of slaves and projects slaves worked on. Present a list please.

lol fck outta here with that. Some of you people forever finding reasons to pick a bone with all Africans just to have reason be it weak or barely existent.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by DSP View Post
    There you go typing without knowing. If I was leader of any African country and somebody came to me with that I would tell them to start at home first. Most of the black slave traders who sold Africans were tricked into slavery themselves. Karma happend sooner rather than later. This is why I love dna, it never lies. It may not always be clear but it never lies. DNA and slave records show that slave traders transporting the criminals and prisoners of war would be tricked or forced into slavery. Some got drunk and partied with the white slave traders, woke next day tied up with the people they sold. Lets not even get into the blacks and
    natives who owned slaves in the WEst Indies and America.

Name the states, where are there corporations and record books of slaves and projects slaves worked on. Present a list please.

lol fck outta here with that. Some of you people forever finding reasons to pick a bone with all Africans just to have reason be it weak or barely existent.
    To think Africa did not perpetuate in the Atlantic Slave Trade is naive. The Africans participated with the Europeans.

Credits
    @ DSP I would not say that African countries got rich offa this but certain tribes and leaders got rich offa the trade...we cannot deny this.

now is the absolute worst time to target Europe and America for reparations anyway because they are dead broke.

Reparations would not be paid out in checks..it would be more along the line of free goods for former slave countries or preferential trade agreements or free schools or something like affirmative action to top schools in Europe etc.
    Last edited by SWAGGERIFIC; 09-28-2011 at 08:00 PM.

Credits

I never said those states were still extant now, all I said was that there were states which became wealthy off of slavery. Were the ultimately conquered and colonised as well? Yes. Did they get wealthy at the time? Also yes.

Nobody's tryna pick a bone with Africans, stop being defensive. Facts are facts and history is what it is; nations like Dahomey generated a great deal of wealth from entering into the slave trade and selling their neighbours into slavery.

DSP
    Credits
    @ DSP I would not say that African countries got rich offa this but certain tribes and leaders got rich offa the trade...we cannot deny this.

now is the absolute worst time to target Europe and America for reparations anyway because they are dead broke.

Reparations would not be paid out in checks..it would be more along the line of free goods for former slave countries or preferential trade agreements or free schools or something like affirmative action to top schools in Europe etc.
    I don't know what the comment about the right time has anything to do with what I said.

It's more of a diaspora initiative, and I don't take issue with that. Most African countries have asked for is a fair shake when it comes to trade, which is the least the WTO could help enforce instead of doing the opposite with their World Bank and IMF arm. The developed countries never got developed on their own, slave labor, technology sharing,and fair trade all of which Africa and diaspora were shut out and handicapped by colonialism.

I never said those states were still extant now, all I said was that there were states which became wealthy off of slavery. Were the ultimately conquered and colonised as well? Yes. Did they get wealthy at the time? Also yes.

Nobody's tryna pick a bone with Africans, stop being defensive. Facts are facts and history is what it is; nations like Dahomey generated a great deal of wealth from entering into the slave trade and selling their neighbours into slavery.
    true I agree facts are facts and if you support that arguement u should start in your own front yard.

Credits

true I agree facts are facts and if you support that arguement u should start in your own front yard.
    What do you even mean?

DSP
    Credits
    What do you even mean?
    descendents(black and white) of slave traders and slave owners in the diaspora

as I mentioned before, black families in diaspora profited from slavery and owned slaves. Many slaves descended from slave traders themselves, so how do they pay themselves back?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast