Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Another crazy shooting incident in TO.

Credits

Another crazy shooting incident in TO.

What is going on in TO? Shooting in a food court mall on a busy day and now this.

Toronto police name 2 victims of east-end shooting - Toronto - CBC News

Toronto police name 2 victims of east-end shooting
    23 others wounded as gunfire breaks out at block party
    CBC News
    Posted: Jul 16, 2012 11:39 PM ET

Toronto's Deputy Mayor Doug Holyday talks about 2 young people dead and 23 hurt at a summertime barbecue in an area of the city not known for that kind of violence.Reaction to shooting in Toronto4:40
    Play iconChief Bill Blair says Toronto police are engaged in a 'relentless' pursuit for the people responsible for a shooting in the city’s east end that left two people dead and 21 others with gunshot injuries.Toronto police news conference23:30

Toronto police say that 23 people were wounded in the deadly shootout that erupted at a Scarborough block party on Monday night, in addition to a teenage girl and young man who were killed.

Det. Sgt. Graham Gibson of the homicide squad identified the deceased during a news conference on Tuesday afternoon as 23-year-old Joshua Yasay, 23, of Ajax, Ont., and Shyanne Charles, 14, of Toronto.

Friends told CBC News that Charles was a generous person, a good student and a role model.

Faith Black, who knew Charles since she was little, said she first heard about her friend's death late Monday night. She described Charles as a good student who never got in any trouble.

"I'm still in denial, it hasn't really hit me yet," Black said. Charles, who played basketball at her school, was about to enter Grade 9 in September.

Kionna Jones, a former schoolmate of Charles, said she last spoke to her friend a few weeks ago. Jones said she is not very athletic, but that Charles would help her with basketball.

"She was always generous and joyful. She was always up and about. She would never put anybody down," said Jones.

"She was really nice and good person to look up to."

When she first heard the news Tuesday morning, Jones said she felt "sad and disappointed."
    Police investigating possible gang involvement

Meanwhile, Toronto police Chief Bill Blair said his force is engaged in a “relentless” pursuit for the people responsible for the shooting.

During a Tuesday morning news conference at police headquarters, Blair said police would put as many resources on the street as necessary to apprehend those responsible for the gun violence that occurred on Danzig Street late Monday night.

It is still not clear if gangs are involved in the Monday night shooting, but Blair said police are investigating that possibility.

Police are also "very concerned" about the potential for retaliatory violence that can follow the type of event that occurred on Danzig Street.

"The crime that occurred in Scarborough yesterday was unprecedented for the City of Toronto," Blair said.

"It is a crime that is shocking to all of our citizens and it is a crime that demands the relentless pursuit of the individuals responsible for this violence."
    previous
    1 of 10
    next
    Police interview neighbours near the scene of the barbeque shooting. A shooting rampage that erupted during a street party in Toronto's east end late Monday night has been described by police as a 'level of violence … we have never experienced.' (Aaron Vincent Elkaim/Canadian Press)

He said their families had been notified of their deaths.

The surviving victims ranged in age from a 22-month-old toddler, who received a “grazing injury,” to a 33-year-old man, Blair said.

While most of these victims are expected to recover, one man remains in critical condition in hospital as of Tuesday morning.

Blair said the homicide squad, the guns and gangs unit, the intelligence services urban gang unit and divisional policing are all involved in the investigation.

"We will be deploying significant, additional uniform resources into the community affected and to any other area where we believe retaliatory violence may take place," Blair said.
    Dispute prompted shooting

Police believe that at about 10:40 p.m. on Monday, two individuals got into a dispute at a block party that was being held on Danzig Street, in the Morningside Avenue and Lawrence Avenue East area.

"This altercation involved two individuals and as a result, there was an exchange of gunfire," Blair said.

Police previously confirmed that more than one weapon was fired and that a gun had been recovered at the scene.

Blair said police have also identified one person of interest.

CBC News spoke to witnesses who were in the Danzig Street area at the time of shooting.

Shelly Dupuis said she was sitting in her backyard on Monday night when she heard a series of “eight to 10 shots” fired.

“We came running through the back door, out through the front door, and there's people running everywhere screaming,” Dupuis said.

"People holding their kids, picking up their kids off the ground. People running everywhere...and then I come around the corner and there's lights. Wall to wall lights. I've never seen this many ambulances ever.

"It scares the hell out of me. It was about 10 houses down from where we live and my child could have been out there. My child could have been the one that got shot."
    Shooting ‘shocking to every Torontonian’

While police have made contact with some witnesses, Blair asked that anyone with information come forward to help investigators.

"In order to ensure that we very quickly bring this matter to a resolution, we are asking for the public’s help," said Blair.

Blair previously spoke to reporters at the scene in the early hours of Tuesday morning.

"Tonight’s event is shocking to every Torontonian," Blair said just hours after the shooting. "It will be shocking to all of Canada, because of the number of the people injured. The level of violence is something we have never experienced."

Police believe that more than 200 people attended the party where the shooting occurred.

“This is an area of the city that has never experienced this level of violence before,” Blair said.

The victims were transported to various hospitals in the area, including the Scarborough Hospital, the Hospital for Sick Children, St. Michael’s Hospital and Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre.
    Torontonians must 'carry on'

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford toured the scene of the Scarborough shooting on Tuesday morning.
    Pedestrians early Tuesday look at the scene of a shooting in Toronto's east end that left 22 people injured and two dead at a house party late Monday.Pedestrians early Tuesday look at the scene of a shooting in Toronto's east end that left 22 people injured and two dead at a house party late Monday. (Aaron Vincent Elkaim/Canadian Press)

While denouncing the violence, the mayor said that the city and its residents would have to “move on and carry on with their life” as police deal with the challenge of apprehending those responsible for the Monday night shooting.

Police have been dealing with a sharp increase in the number of shootings in the City of Toronto this year compared to last.

According to preliminary statistics posted on the police website, there have been 140 reported shooting incidents as of July 16.
    Danzig Street, Toronto, Ont.Danzig Street, Toronto, Ont.

That’s an increase of 32.1 per cent compared with the number reported at the same time last year.

Prior to the shooting on Monday evening, 16 people had been killed in gun-related homicides on the streets of Toronto since January 1, compared to 14 people at the same time last year.

The Monday night shooting in Scarborough was also the latest event in which a gun was fired in a crowded space.

A shooting at the Eaton Centre on June 2 left one man dead and another fatally wounded.

Later that month, a man was shot dead on a crowded patio in Little Italy where patrons had gathered to watch a soccer game.

On Canada Day, a man was shot in the chest after the close of a fireworks show.

Ford said the recent high-profile shootings were "a couple of isolated and unfortunate incidents."

Credits
    i dont know about isolated but i agree that people should not move on. crime will always happen

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Poca! View Post
    Toronto's Deputy Mayor Doug Holyday talks about 2 young people dead and 23 hurt at a summertime barbecue in an area of the city not known for that kind of violence.

Ford said the recent high-profile shootings were "a couple of isolated and unfortunate incidents."
    Are they for real with the bolded part? That's around Galloway, that's a real seedy area of GTA.

Damn 23 people hurt, one of them a 14 yr. old girl? What on earth were these morons thinking?

Nevertheless I still find this the safest "big" N.American metropolis around.
    "I will forewarn you......fear ye him when thou hast died hath power to cast into hell" - Charles Lawson

Credits
    It's unfortunate that T.dot seems to be erupting now. I hope that whatever is brewing will get under control because it will turn very ugly.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Poca! View Post
    It's unfortunate that T.dot seems to be erupting now. I hope that whatever is brewing will get under control because it will turn very ugly.
    Not to sugarcoat any of this violence but Toronto was worse off in previous years.
    "I will forewarn you......fear ye him when thou hast died hath power to cast into hell" - Charles Lawson

Credits
    I really don't know much about the evolution of the violence in Toronto. It's just that lately I've been having a lot of free time so I read the news. To me, it's shocking the way it's done in wide open setting where many "innocent" people can get injured.

LB
    Credits
    On the National last night, they are saying there were "warnings" of what was to come that night on Twitter and Facebook by certain individuals. Now it looks like its gang related and that there may be more violence to come in that particular neighborhood.

and from the shots I saw on TV, it looks like a rundown neighborhood so I dont get the "good" neighborhood part. Ppl are afraid to talk there, so my guess is that they are used to some level of neighborhood violence and know who is more than likely involved.
    ~ If you make the mountain any bigger you wont be able to move it later

Credits
    16 murders for da year? wow i need to move to toronto!
    SWAGGERIFIC and DerMonger like this.

LB
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Insane View Post
    hey for us that is a big deal as it should be!
    They were saying on the news that the last time it was this bad in Toronto was 2005. I think there was 4 more murders at the same time in the year.

but they have cut a lot of after school programs for at risk kids over the years - I remember Kardinal talking about it years ago - and there was been a rise in gun violence with it....plus the easy access to guns coming over the border from the U.S.

Alberta has the highest gun ownership rate in Canada - legal ownership - and there is no where near the same level of gun crimes as in Toronto. So other factors are at play.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by LB View Post
    hey for us that is a big deal as it should be!
    They were saying on the news that the last time it was this bad in Toronto was 2005. I think there was 4 more murders at the same time in the year.

but they have cut a lot of after school programs for at risk kids over the years - I remember Kardinal talking about it years ago - and there was been a rise in gun violence with it....plus the easy access to guns coming over the border from the U.S.

Alberta has the highest gun ownership rate in Canada - legal ownership - and there is no where near the same level of gun crimes as in Toronto. So other factors are at play.
    this says a lot about Canada.

LB
    Credits
    says a lot about the Ontario government cause that isnt federal policy but provincial.

DSP
    Credits
    They got wolves, bears, giant rabbits and abominable snow men out there where she from though. You have to strap up with something. I'm amazed how they plant civilization out there among wildness like that.

LB
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by DSP View Post
    They got wolves, bears, giant rabbits and abominable snow men out there where she from though. You have to strap up with something. I'm amazed how they plant civilization out there among wildness like that.
    you feeling to take all kinds of liberties today aint it?

shaddup, cause u'd sell your grandma's china set to pay for a one way ticket out here

DSP
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by LB View Post
    you feeling to take all kinds of liberties today aint it?

shaddup, cause u'd sell your grandma's china set to pay for a one way ticket out here
    no comment

Credits
    lol dais wha i sayen mehson

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast