Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Andrew Holness is the new JLP leader and PM designate

Credits

Andrew Holness is the new JLP leader and PM designate

Andrew Holness to be new JLP leader and PM - News - Latest News - Jamaica Gleaner

Lead aspirants and members of the JLP parliamentary group have thrown their support behind Education Minister Andrew Holness to become the next party leader.

The announcement, which all but guarantees he will become the next prime minister of Jamaica, was made at a 9 am press conference today at the Terra Nova Hotel in St. Andrew.

The decision to back Holness, made by senior party members, has to be ratified by the JLP secretariat and delegates.

Holness, in his speech, thanked his colleagues who have supported him, God and the people of Jamaica who invest hope and faith in Jamaica's political system.

In reassuring Jamaicans, he said he has maintained a positive outlook and God has blessed the country.

Nominations for JLP leader are still open until October 20.

Stayed tuned for more details.
    ‎"In the absence of light Darkness prevails."

"Free will; it's a b*tch"

Credits
    he is not yet Leader, that will be decided at the party conference later this year. When Bruce steps down he'll step up to the PM position until general elections next year.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by bluedasheen View Post
    he is not yet Leader, that will be decided at the party conference later this year. When Bruce steps down he'll step up to the PM position until general elections next year.
    so why dey doh just call a snap election and done?

Credits
    Landslide! - Lead Stories - Jamaica Gleaner - Wednesday | October 5, 2011

New opinion poll shows Holness miles ahead in JLP leadership race

Arthur Hall, Senior Staff Reporter

If voters were asked to elect the new leader of the Jamaica Labour Party (JLP), the 39-year-old Andrew Holness would win in a landslide.

And if the just under 5,000 delegates elect the youthful Holness when they meet on November 19, the JLP could see a bounce in its support at the polls.

That is according to the findings of a just-completed Gleaner-commissioned Bill Johnson poll, which was done after Bruce Golding announced his intention to step down but before he signalled his desire to see a young person take over from him.

The pollster found that just under 50 per cent of Jamaicans believe that Holness, the three-term West Central St Andrew member of parliament and minister of education, is the right man to replace Golding as prime minister and leader of the JLP.

Almost the same number say they would be more likely to vote for the JLP if Holness were elected.

Other aspirants for the party's top job - Dr Christopher Tufton, Dr Ken Baugh, Audley Shaw and Mike Henry - barely appear on the radar of the poll commissioned immediately after Golding announced his decision to step down.

The poll was conducted on Saturday, October 1, and Sunday, October 2, in 84 communities across the island's 14 parishes. It has a sample size of 1,008 and a margin of error of plus or minus four per cent.

Forty-three per cent of the respondents named Holness as their first choice to replace Golding, with Tufton left far behind with nine per cent support.

Shaw, who is said to enjoy strong backing from the business sector and some senior members of the party, was a distant third, with a paltry four per cent of the respondents saying he is the one to lead the Government.

The other persons to openly indicate interest in the party's top job, Baugh and Henry, hardly troubled the researchers, with three and one per cent support, respectively.

When asked if the election of Holness would impact their decision to vote JLP, 45 per cent of the respondents said they would be more likely to vote for the party if he were its leader.

However, three in every 10 persons said the youthful Holness would make them less likely to vote.

But that was far better than his probable opponents, with almost five in every 10 Jamaicans saying they would be less likely to vote for a JLP led by Tufton and 62 per cent saying they would be less likely to vote for the party if it were led by Shaw.

arthur.hall@gleanerjm.com
    Last edited by bluedasheen; 10-05-2011 at 11:29 AM.

Credits
    he have a rel big nose dred

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Man of Mystery View Post
    so why dey doh just call a snap election and done?
    I would not be surprised if this happens soon after the party conference.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by bluedasheen View Post
    I would not be surprised if this happens soon after the party conference.
    is the political divide as bitter in JA as it is in TNT? also, answer my other thread about color/race

Credits
    is the political divide as bitter in JA as it is in TNT? also, answer my other thread about color/race
    does trinidad have garrisons (political strongholds)?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneshot View Post
    does trinidad have garrisons (political strongholds)?
    explain to me and then I could answer

Credits
    From where I sit, T&T ain't have NUTTEN on J'ca when it comes to political divide. When yuh hear somebody say 'down to the grip ah mi yard ah PNP' u get a sense of how entrenched the division is. I believe in T&T people will more likely switch up who dey vote for, I definitely don't get that in J'ca where IMO people who vote, vote for one party or the next regardless of that party's performance/achievements.

Just my opinion ah hope nobody ain't cuss mi for it.

Credits
    explain to me and then I could answer
    Is Diego Martin, Maloney and Laventille PNM strongholds?
    Our Queen went to sleep, her people left to weep....in song she lives on.

Long Live the Queen!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by chinky eyes View Post
    Is Diego Martin, Maloney and Laventille PNM strongholds?
    yes these places are PNM strongholds with "PNM till ah dead" people but I do not know if I could classify that as garrisons. If garrison is what I think it is.

Credits
    yes these places are PNM strongholds with "PNM till ah dead" people but I do not know if I could classify that as garrisons. If garrison is what I think it is.
    I think OneShot is using the word garrison interchangeable with stronghold. But he could come and confirm if that is what he meant.

Long Live the Queen!

LB
    Credits
    do you all have areas in TnT that can be related to the gist of this article? If so, then u have garrisons. If not, then its a different world compared to JA.

Jamaica Gleaner - The garrison phenomenon - Is West Kingston 'the mother of all garrisons'? - Sunday | September 4, 2005
    ~ If you make the mountain any bigger you wont be able to move it later

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladybug View Post
    do you all have areas in TnT that can be related to the gist of this article? If so, then u have garrisons. If not, then its a different world compared to JA.

Jamaica Gleaner - The garrison phenomenon - Is West Kingston 'the mother of all garrisons'? - Sunday | September 4, 2005
    Glad you posted this, gives me a better understanding. Laventille is turning into a garrison. My family is from this area, I haven't been up the "hill" in years, but I've heard nuff stories about what's going on. A friend of my cousin told her sis "do not come up the hill, I will meet you in town". If you not from up there, and or they don't know you. Best believe you not coming out, if you make it out the same way you went in. Couple years ago, there was a body burning in a car, out in the open. I've heard stories of "community leaders" having road blocks set up and men with big guns with their own check points.

Long Live the Queen!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast