Thread: Americans who feel they know more about your culture !

Credits

Americans who feel they know more about your culture !

Americans who feel they know more about your culture , who do you deal with them or feel about it ?

Credits
    Well sometimes, believe it or not, they actually do know more. In the case of Trinidad, I have conversed with many Americans and British ppl who have a great depth and better appreciation of Trini culture than many Trinidadians. In terms of Carnival and Calypso history, many Trinis have little knowledge and even less respect for that which went before. It is ironic that I own a number of CD's of calypso and Carnival music ging back to 1912 and the masters for those songs are NOT in the archives of Trinidad but in the US and England.

So how do I feel? Well, at least somebody has to preserve it and since we are not going to......

At the same time, it is easy to deal with and dismiss the condescending types (there aren't that many, thank god) and those who try to interpret our culture from their cultural perspective.
    Create your own university; develop and encourage a culture of critical thinking and action

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananci_7 View Post
    Well sometimes, believe it or not, they actually do know more. In the case of Trinidad, I have conversed with many Americans and British ppl who have a great depth and better appreciation of Trini culture than many Trinidadians. In terms of Carnival and Calypso history, many Trinis have little knowledge and even less respect for that which went before. It is ironic that I own a number of CD's of calypso and Carnival music ging back to 1912 and the masters for those songs are NOT in the archives of Trinidad but in the US and England.

So how do I feel? Well, at least somebody has to preserve it and since we are not going to......

At the same time, it is easy to deal with and dismiss the condescending types (there aren't that many, thank god) and those who try to interpret our culture from their cultural perspective.
    I CONCUR, because I KNOW many VINCIES who are CLUELESS about VINCY CULTURE and HISTORY. But I can give them a BLIGH because it is not being TAUGHT in the SCHOOLS as it should.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by trinifrombx View Post
    Americans who feel they know more about your culture , who do you deal with them or feel about it ?
    well if its knowledge they sharing in a did you know this is so interesting kinda way i have no issue, but when u get dem dat want tuh show off well my response is
    on the outside looking in,.. is a helluva thing aint it

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by trinifrombx View Post
    no big deal. they have alot americans that know much more about the west indies then most west indians. I was talking to this white dude that i met the other day and he was telling me stories of back when he used to hang with eric williams. this we only heard about or read he actually lived.

Credits
    one comment was funny

the other day a guy ask me...you have to study to become a canadian???

i know amercian thread but canadian same ol' iish

Credits
    what's there to feel... if the person knows more...and is right...there's nothing to feel...