Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Americans Please Answer This

Credits

Americans Please Answer This

Why Should The Debt Limit Be Increased?

If Caribbean countries had such a policy I doubt any of us would encourage our own governments to increase the debt load.

Credits
    I don't know it sound like something a real economist is better equipped to answer.
    Or at least have some facts

What are some of facts around this topic .

Micro and macro economics differ .
    But on an individual level you should limit your debt so why not for a country

PLUS DON'T WE have some countries or examples of debt getting them trouble

What are the alternatives ?

Credits
    2,466,130,003,239,999,894,719,398,969,643,979,951,637,561,03 2,240,627,990,921,216
    It should not be raised; 6yrs ago our current Prime Minster said it was unpatriotic to raise the debt ceiling, now he wants congress to do it. The federal government should live within their means just like to American public. You lift the limit by two trillion and six months to ah year later we need ah next two trillion. When will it end?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
    It should not be raised; 6yrs ago our current Prime Minster said it was unpatriotic to raise the debt ceiling, now he wants congress to do it. The federal government should live within their means just like to American public. You lift the limit by two trillion and six months to ah year later we need ah next two trillion. When will it end?
    probably not the best way to run the finances of any organization....but its been done this way forever so stop it now when it is clear that it will plunge the economy into the abyss. Give the economy a few years to get on a strong footing and then make changes in this process.

Btw Dragon yuh not back in tnt yuh know...aint no Prime Minister in big bad USA bwoy....but yuh know that ahready.
    I hath 9 and 90 tribulations and nary a one doth concern a wench!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneshot View Post
    Why Should The Debt Limit Be Increased?

If Caribbean countries had such a policy I doubt any of us would encourage our own governments to increase the debt load.
    That's normal in the Caribbean... what's weird is the blame Democrats attach to Republicans for being fundamentally opposed to it.
    Under Obama, the US has become increasingly Third World in its thinking.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Steupz View Post
    That's normal in the Caribbean... what's weird is the blame Democrats attach to Republicans for being fundamentally opposed to it.
    Expound.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by VINCYPOWA View Post
    Expound.
    There are things notably Third World in politics:

1) Blaming the opposition party for not supporting legislation that's supposedly the panacea.
    2) Blaming your own failings on the previous administration's poor term in office
    3) One term isn't enough to do what I promised
    4) Last year in a term gift giving policies
    5) Hiring the same failed people over and over
    6) Ivy League politics or Doctor politics as they say in the Caribbean - believing strong academic qualifications qualifies you to solve problems.
    7) A belief that you can spend your way out of every issue
    8) A dependence on short term low paying jobs to pretty up stats.
    9) Demonising the opposition with emotion tugging nonsense (they are going to take away your right to an abortion or they hate gays and foreigners)

Credits

1) Blaming the opposition party for not supporting legislation that's supposedly the panacea.
    2) Blaming your own failings on the previous administration's poor term in office
    6) Ivy League politics or Doctor politics as they say in the Caribbean - believing strong academic qualifications qualifies you to solve problems.
    9) Demonising the opposition with emotion tugging nonsense (they are going to take away your right to an abortion or they hate gays and foreigners)
    I wouldn't say these practices are limited to third world...but you have a valid point
    "sa ki ta'w sé ta'w, la rivié pé pa chayé'l "

Father, before mi mind get bad
    Betta yuh flip it round and mek mi mind get mad
    Mi prefer fi work hard everyday fi achieve mi goals
    Nah grudge nobody fi dem own

Credits
    Nice! Its funny how with a minority president how easily the connection is made to third world eh.

In my lifetime in the US I have never seen the opposition as venomous. Much of this kind of opposition politics...the vileness of it is new.

Yuh mean telling the truth of the devastation visited upon the economy. I just saw reagan on TV today waxing poetic about the wrecked economy that he inherited. Its called reality.

R u kidding me? Every President who has runned for a second term better make it a point to tell the people that his job is unfinished else why would he run for a second term?

You mean cell phones and welfare right. Nonesense!

Par for the course. All you have to do is look at previous administration.

You mean Bush and Clinton didn't go to Ivy league colleges?

Patently false. Most people know you can't spend your way out of every issue.

[B]Who is in favor of this again?[/B]

Dude you need to go back to some of Republican strategies going as far back as reagan with tv commercials insinuating the the democrats with let out these scary black criminals to over-run white neighborhoods all the way to today with the right wing chorus of "obama looking to take away your guns"!

Seems like business as usual to me.
    I hath 9 and 90 tribulations and nary a one doth concern a wench!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by SKBai1991 View Post
    I wouldn't say these practices are limited to third world...but you have a valid point
    Certainly, but the problem is that in the Third World, because the economy is so Government dependent, it encourages the politicians to think small. The US, because power is much more devolved, is, I think, supposed to have Presidents who think big.

Presidents in the US are supposed to campaign on vision and philosophy with a substrata of detail on how they propose to roll out their vision/philosophy. Obama had that... reinvigorating the youth, a softening of the hawkish image abroad, offering incentives to trade partners the US once blacklisted, paying down the deficits, balanced budgets, reducing the military, and a more welcoming society that is represented by all types.

That's broad, that's vision, that's philosophy.

Today it's Republicans and rich people are keeping us back.

Credits
    I see where you are coming from. But that's not the direction I was heading.

If any Caribbean government were faced with a similar predicament the tax the rich language would not work. Because everyone understands that when VAT is increased or a tax is placed is on cable tax. That tax goes towards a flashy new vehicle for a politician, a fete showcasing some international star, or some grand idea that has very little benefit for the average man.

But somehow once we migrate to the another climate, USA or UK. We attach ourselves to a mantra, that we would not kind to in the Caribbean.

Credits

Also add not being critical of your own party.

Credits
    2,466,130,003,239,999,894,719,398,969,643,979,951,637,561,03 2,240,627,990,921,216
    I am glad someone see how Obama is making the public dependent on the government. Soon Prime Minister Obama will be giving out Ten Days to help the poor or unemployed .

Oh wait my bad he has been giving people unemployment money for the last 4yrs

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
    I am glad someone see how Obama is making the public dependent on the government. Soon Prime Minister Obama will be giving out Ten Days to help the poor or unemployed .

Oh wait my bad he has been giving people unemployment money for the last 4yrs
    Yeah, WE SAW how PRESIDENT OBAMA and his GOVERNMENT SAVE CAPITALISM.

I am sure WALL ST is GRATEFUL for the GOVERNMENT to SAVE its GREEDY ASS.

YUHHHHHHH SEEEEEEEEEE MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    mz_JazE likes this.

Credits

There is NOTHING THIRD WORLD about ANYTHING that you have STATED, because the SYSTEM of GOVERNMENT in the USA simply doesn't PERMIT it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast