Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Americans with no culture

Credits

Americans with no culture

I have nothing against Americans let me start with that first off!!!!!!!

But I was approached this weekend by this unknown American in front of the Glow party on Friday. He asked me what kind of party was going on in Kool Haus? So I replied Soca and Calypso with performers. He then replies " what is soca?" I was speechless for a sec.
    I asked if he was serious? He replies" I'm from Ohio, I don't know about this stuff."
    In my head I was wondering then what the hell are you doing here for Caribana if you know nothing about it. I mean I know there are people who have heard about it and want to see what it is like but most of the time they are at least familiar with the music, mas and parade of it.

Sorry I had to share that peice of ignorance with IMIX today

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Preya

But I was approached this weekend by this unknown American in front of the Glow party on Friday. He asked me what kind of party was going on in Kool Haus? So I replied Soca and Calypso with performers. He then replies " what is soca?" I was speechless for a sec.
    I asked if he was serious? He replies" I'm from Ohio, I don't know about this stuff."
    In my head I was wondering then what the hell are you doing here for Caribana if you know nothing about it. I mean I know there are people who have heard about it and want to see what it is like but most of the time they are at least familiar with the music, mas and parade of it.

There are people in the world that don't know what soca is... nottin' wrong wid dat... now if he said "what is reggae?" ah woulda probably feint.

Credits
    did you tell him what it was all about?

did he come up to toronto specifically for caribana? just cause he in toronto the weekend of caribana, doh mean that what he came for.

Credits

Cool

Why does he have to be ignorant. He didn't know so he ASKED!! Everyone isn't exposed to everything yuh know. I applaud him for asking before making a shupid comment about we culture or music.

Credits

so where is the no culture/ignorance in that ?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Soca Taliban
    Why does he have to be ignorant. He didn't know so he ASKED!! Everyone isn't exposed to everything yuh know. I applaud him for asking before making a shupid comment about we culture or music.
    I wonder if he was somehow related to I Wayne?

Credits
    Sorry I forgot to mention he did say he was up in Toronto just for Caribana

Credits
    There are plenty of Americans with no culture, but this is not an example.
    West Indian T-shirts & More: www.wiCulture.com
    Like it on Facebook: facebook.com/wiculturetees

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by n00ner
    There are plenty of Americans with no culture, but this is not an example.
    correcto ... the only ignorance I have come across in this topic is your post itself preya.

Credits
    Well Pretty you an I mussee bump into the same fool or his cousin cause some American dude asked me the same question and then went on to say that he came to Toronto cause he thought there was gonna be black people here (dude was surrounded by black people) so i said what do you mean? He said well y'all are talking in a different language!?!??! So I said what? He said ya y'all are talkin in Jamaican. Look ah nearly spit all over this dude trying to hold in my laugh! Pure ignorance boy!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinababy
    Well Pretty you an I mussee bump into the same fool or his cousin cause some American dude asked me the same question and then went on to say that he came to Toronto cause he thought there was gonna be black people here (dude was surrounded by black people) so i said what do you mean? He said well y'all are talking in a different language!?!??! So I said what? He said ya y'all are talkin in Jamaican. Look ah nearly spit all over this dude trying to hold in my laugh! Pure ignorance boy!
    So he came looking for Black people to hang out with but he was suprised to see "Jamaicans" instead?
    West Indian T-shirts & More: www.wiCulture.com
    Like it on Facebook: facebook.com/wiculturetees

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by n00ner
    So he came looking for Black people to hang out with but he was suprised to see "Jamaicans" instead?
    exactly....
    "Jamaicans" from Trindad, St.Lucia, Guyana, Grenada.....
    to him "black" meant American....
    to me that is IGNORANCE.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinababy
    Only shades of colour that are seen on IMIX, BLACK, WHITE & GREY. The beauty of all things are transform into those colours... Winter very LONG, spring, summer fall very SHORT.

Pimptress

i'm sorry i dont see the ignorance here yet. he was honest about not knowing and brave enough to ask. i hope you were able to explain to him what it was about.

how do you define if someone is cultured? if you have not been exposed to something does that make you ignorant?

i am not of west indian descent and up until a few years ago i didnt know what soca was or how extensive carnival was. in my upbringing just because i was not exposed to certain things/cultures/ways of life does that make me uncultured? i dont believe so and i also dont believe it makes me ignorant either. i am open minded enough to be taught and to experience new things.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimptress
    i'm sorry i dont see the ignorance here yet. he was honest about not knowing and brave enough to ask. i hope you were able to explain to him what it was about.

how do you define if someone is cultured? if you have not been exposed to something does that make you ignorant?

i am not of west indian descent and up until a few years ago i didnt know what soca was or how extensive carnival was. in my upbringing just because i was not exposed to certain things/cultures/ways of life does that make me uncultured? i dont believe so and i also dont believe it makes me ignorant either. i am open minded enough to be taught and to experience new things.
    tell em pimpy if someone is able to ask politely what soca is all about, what's the harm in that? not like dude was like what is this crap, or something out ah order. what's more ignorant is them bein ridiculed for just askin...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast