Thread: Amazed over Elton John's uproar

Links30

Talking Amazed over Elton John's uproar

Amazed over Elton John's uproar
    Friday, March 16th 2007
    The Editor: Just to introduce myself for my following remarks concerning the Plymouth Jazz Festival at end of April.

I'm a (white) German citizen with domicile in France, and I know Trinidad as well as Tobago quite well, having visited both islands as writer/journalist plenty times, and even having been married to a TT lady for 10 years.

I'm amazed by the fact that the invitation of (gay) Elton John to the Jazz Festival is creating that sort of uproar or bacchanal in Tobago.

First of all, I do not understand why Elton John is considered as an artist to perform at any Jazz festival, otherwise you could for example invite Frank Sinatra as well, if he was still alive and kicking.

Secondly, I do not understand why he has to be invited to this festival in Tobago, whereas Tobago - with good reasons - is so proud about its strong traditional culture and African roots, celebrated for example during Heritage Festival, that it has to invite this culturally foreign artist from colonial mother country.

Being a journalist, and a Jazz fan since I visited secondary school, I have visited many Jazz festivals worldwide, but luckily I never bounced up on Elton John at any of these events.

Let me tell you that I have many good friends worldwide, that love and play Jazz, and that one composer and musician who I regard as one of my most appreciated friends, is the Afro-American Ojeda Penn from Atlanta, USA, who is not only composing and playing Jazz (piano), but has been teaching Afro American Studies, and History of Jazz at black and white universities in Atlanta and other places. Of course, he has also been part of many Jazz festivals, national and international.

Not that I would like to sponsor this or any other person.

I just mention this person Ojeda Penn as an example of artists that should be invited to a concert at a place like yours, pleasing an audience with a conscious understanding of its roots and whereabouts.

I see no reason for Elton John being a performer at a Jazz festival in Tobago, and as a foreigner, I would never visit the island to see or hear him there. Best regards.

Peter Michels

Source

Taj
    Credits
    ok
    “A sharp knife never proclaims it’s sharpness to the world…but the first to fall against it becomes it’s advocate.”

You can put any face behind a mask but be careful cos someone else might be pretending. You might not be the only one with a secret -- Cassie/Gretel

Links30
    It's capitalism at it's best....

Traditional Values and Morals-- Gone out the window like a dried up mango seed.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Bago20 View Post

mmmmm mango...*drools*

cant wait till dem ripen

Credits

how you figure?

Credits
    Elton's a big international name. And like any other big name who doesn't seem to belong at an event, it's no doubt because of his popularity and therefore potential ticket sales.

Traditional morals and values or lack thereof, play no part. Does every other artist on the schedule represent the traditional morals and values of the country?
    West Indian T-shirts & More: www.wiCulture.com
    Like it on Facebook: facebook.com/wiculturetees

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by n00ner View Post
    Elton's a big international name. And like any other big name who doesn't seem to belong at an event, it's no doubt because of his popularity and therefore potential ticket sales.

Traditional morals and values or lack thereof, play no part. Does every other artist on the schedule represent the traditional morals and values of the country?
    Even funnier studies will chronicle traditional homosexual behavior among Africans,

Credits
    Secondly, I do not understand why he has to be invited to this festival in Tobago, whereas Tobago - with good reasons - is so proud about its strong traditional culture and African roots, celebrated for example during Heritage Festival, that it has to invite this culturally foreign artist from colonial mother country.

I just mention this person Ojeda Penn as an example of artists that should be invited to a concert at a place like yours, pleasing an audience with a conscious understanding of its roots and whereabouts.
    So LL Cool J meets this criteria? If not, why not mention him as well? Or is it just cuz Elton's caucasian?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by WadadliEmpress View Post
    mmmmm mango...*drools*

cant wait till dem ripen
    **smh**

Links30
    Quote Originally Posted by DreadJockey View Post
    how you figure?
    Because certain powers want this thing to continue even though many oppose it. I say it is more of the THA doing and Olive London he is not going to get re-elected for a next term. Many say he is too weak to even enforce anything.

Links30
    So LL Cool J meets this criteria? If not, why not mention him as well? Or is it just cuz Elton's caucasian?
    You seem to miss the point, the man mention that Tobago is very proud of it's Strong Traditional values and African Culture, the man is drawing reference to what Elton and this other African American that teaches African roots or similar that the two has nothing in common.

It is sought of saying that it is a bit of an insult to invite Elton who has never performed at any Jazz Concerts and Elton has nothing in common to the strong African Culture of Tobagonians, much less he coming from foreign from one of the mother colonial country. When this other man from the States and his research and teachings of African roots will be well respected and admired by the Tobago people. Yuh understand?

You don't go into a Jewish culture and preach Islam. or vice a versa.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by WadadliEmpress View Post
    mmmmm mango...*drools*

cant wait till dem ripen
    *snaps fingers* pay attention lol, but I could go with a nice good one (not the ones in the store)...*drools*

Credits
    You seem to miss the point, the man mention that Tobago is very proud of it's Strong Traditional values and African Culture, the man is drawing reference to what Elton and this other African American that teaches African roots or similar that the two has nothing in common.

It is sought of saying that it is a bit of an insult to invite Elton who has never performed at any Jazz Concerts and Elton has nothing in common to the strong African Culture of Tobagonians, much less he coming from foreign from one of the mother colonial country. When this other man from the States and his research and teachings of African roots will be well respected and admired by the Tobago people. Yuh understand?

You don't go into a Jewish culture and preach Islam. or vice a versa.
    I totally get that. But how is LL any better (except that he's from the US and not the mother colonial country)? He also has absolutely nothing to do with jazz. Actually, most of those big names on the lineup don't do jazz. LL, Mary J, Diana Ross, Sean Paul, etc.

Links30
    I totally get that. But how is LL any better (except that he's from the US and not the mother colonial country)? He also has absolutely nothing to do with jazz. Actually, most of those big names on the lineup don't do jazz. LL, Mary J, Diana Ross, Sean Paul, etc.
    Again i will reference back to the original post on this matter where i also stated that it is peoples beliefs. *SIGH*

Let me say it like this. Tobago people are very proud of the Traditional values for reasons why we as a people are so well liked, loved and respect by many from abroad. Wish as much appreciation would be taken into account from our sister island but not to stray from the topic, Tobagonians are also proud of its African roots and beliefs, Tobago is a small community that appreciates it's natural nature and beauty of the island and takes into account its Morality system.

Even though other artist may not be of Jazz at the JAZZ concert it is not so much of a surprise since that has been happening ever since the JAZZ festival was started on the island. But what has never happened before, is having a GAY artist to perform. Now back to the Morality system, let me use myself as an example, all of my family from my mother side to my father side are all of African descent. I do not have a mix blood in any of the generations of Family blood line. Growing up as well as my cousins and everyone else from school friends to the parlor shop owner to the local village friends from up the hill or down the hill grew up with the belief that there should be a MAN and a WOMAN.

Now if you ever had your GRANNY drag yuh a$$ to church or even hearing talk from them to pointing out certain quotes from the bible there is no reference in there stating that SAME SEX relations are accepted. It is more of CONDEMNATION if such a thing happen. Tobago is not big and spread out with all different kind of characters as Trinidad that came from many other places besides TnT to spread their foreign belief system unto the population.

So if you have a small community that does community police watch and abide by certain code of conduct and laws, who are u or anyone else to come in and try change it? or even say your wrong? It is liking saying the U.S invading Iraq and all of a sudden telling them men that their woman should not wear a vial around their face when in custom and tradition the wearing of the vial around a womans face is in code to the Islamic law that only the husband of that woman can see her face with out the vial and it is custom to Islamic society and belief system.
    Last edited by Links30; 03-16-2007 at 02:09 PM.

Links30
    Why must Tobago become modernize like Trinidad that does not have a Morality balance in place for reasons why that Island has so much issues. I say if it is not broken why the hell try fix it.