Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Always have to explain

Credits

Always have to explain

What is something West Indian that you always have to explain?

Food
    Music
    Our dancing
    Mas

???

Americans (algunos) are so ignorant of anything besides Yankee culture sometimes.

Hadha min fadhle Rabbi Juancito Trucupey's Avatar Juancito Trucupey is offline
    Credits
    i have to explain everything! LOL i try and give it to them in english first...and i never can! so i just explain it period and it take them like 15 mins to fully understand from carnaval down to food steupsssssss...
    Beija-flor minha escola,Minha vida, meu amor

Credits
    Jouvert.........oxtail
    STATIC RADIO - www.islandmix.com/static
    Tunein Radio - Static Radio

LR Advertising LLC

Credits
    Cuisine, location, diversity, language...different things at different times.

Poca
    I think a lot of people are ignorant of the other cultures surrounding them, not only americans.

anyway to answer ur question, I don't really have to explain much to people around here because there is a big haitian population here. To the point that a lot of non haitians do understand and speak kreyol.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by jamaicangirl View Post
    What is something West Indian that you always have to explain?

Food
    Music
    Our dancing
    Mas

???

Americans (algunos) are so ignorant of anything besides Yankee culture sometimes.
    I just tell them everything is Jamaican since that's all they seem to know. Weed, Jerk Chicken, Reggae and Dred Locks..

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Poca View Post
    I think a lot of people are ignorant of the other cultures surrounding them, not only americans.
    True...and there's a good bit of ignorance when it comes to U.S. culture(s) as well. But that's for another thread...

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by dollbabi View Post
    True...and there's a good bit of ignorance when it comes to U.S. culture(s) as well. But that's for another thread...
    I haven't been to many other countries but I find Canadians and Brits much less ignorant than Americans....

U.S. is so big there really isn't any such thing as US culture to me. POP culture and tv yeah maybe but there is no similarity between my life in white suburban Georgia, my life in upper east side manhattan and my life in Flatbush Brooklyn.

It is like three different countries actually!

Credits
    [QUOTE=Poca;3594197]I think a lot of people are ignorant of the other cultures surrounding them, not only americans.

anyway to answer ur question, I don't really have to explain much to people around here because there is a big haitian population here. To the point that a lot of non haitians do understand and speak kreyol.[/QUOTE]

I am quite impressed by that.

Credits
    I haven't been to many other countries but I find Canadians and Brits much less ignorant than Americans....

U.S. is so big there really isn't any such thing as US culture to me. POP culture and tv yeah maybe but there is no similarity between my life in white suburban Georgia, my life in upper east side manhattan and my life in Flatbush Brooklyn.

I would agree regarding the British in general, based my brief period there studying. I haven't spent enough time in other European countries to give any real opinion on others.

That's just it...U.S. culture is multicultural. That's why sometimes when people make certain generalized statements about Americans, it's not even worth a discussion. It really is like 3 different countries...maybe even 4 - 5.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by dollbabi View Post
    I would agree regarding the British in general, based my brief period there studying. I haven't spent enough time in other European countries to give any real opinion on others.

That's just it...U.S. culture is multicultural. That's why sometimes when people make certain generalized statements about Americans, it's not even worth a discussion. It really is like 3 different countries...maybe even 4 - 5.
    Hey, who is that in your new pic? You?

Credits
    Hey, who is that in your new pic? You?
    LOL! No, just a nice pic from online.

Credits
    they want to know why Hatians are not west Indians, yet trini and guyanese are
    The enemy of my enemy is my friend- Arabic proverb

Poca
    If you feel so, then Canadians really do not have a culture at all. Frankly the only identifiable cultures in Canada are the minority ones i.e French-Canadian Quebecers, Acadians, Inuits and the first nations tribes. I have to be honest and say that people from Quebec even the anglos do not know much about the culure in the ROC (rest of Canada). But from what i hear, it's pretty much a pop (american based) culture.

[QUOTE=jamaicangirl;3594207]
    Quote Originally Posted by Poca View Post

anyway to answer ur question, I don't really have to explain much to people around here because there is a big haitian population here. To the point that a lot of non haitians do understand and speak kreyol.[/QUOTE]

I am quite impressed by that.

One have to be careful when feeling like bad talking someone in kreyol because u just never know. It happened to me long time ago in the subway.

Poca
    and what do u tell them?

Quote Originally Posted by Missmayling View Post
    they want to know why Hatians are not west Indians, yet trini and guyanese are

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast