Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To all the nay-sayer to Health Care reform, this is my friend...

Toppa_Toppa

To all the nay-sayer to Health Care reform, this is my friend...

Woes for Trini student in coma

Saturday, August 15th 2009

THE life of a 22-year-old Trinidadian comatose engineering student was almost jeopardised after management at Scottsdale Healthcare Osborne in Arizona claimed that they could not continue to care for him without insurance according to a news report carried on KPHO.com yesterday.

Kern deFreitas, the report says, was left in a coma due to massive brain injury when a Sport Utility Vehicle slammed into the back of the car in which he was travelling.

His brother, Dean deFreitas, reportedly told CBS 5 News reporter Donna Rossi that after the wreck, paramedics rushed Kern from the Tempe crash site to hospital, where doctors removed part of his skull to keep him alive.

However, since non-residents do not qualify for coverage under the Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System, hospital social workers suggested that they fly Kern back to Trinidad and Tobago.

This, according to the report, left Dean very concerned, so he filed, and was granted a restraining order to keep his comatose brother in the hospital until his condition improves before they try to transport him to Trinidad.

A spokesman for Scottsdale Healthcare however, reportedly told CBS 5 News that there was a misunderstanding about the potential transportation and in a written statement, Keith Jones, public relations director for the hospital, explained that, "The discharge planning process for any patient requiring long term care includes researching local extended care facilities, and in the case of a non-resident, a facility in the patient's home country."

Dean however, reportedly said, "We're not saying that we want him here forever, we're saying that we want him to be at a level that we feel safe enough that he can be transported."

Meanwhile, the report adds that Arizona police are investigating the driver, who they suspect was under the influence at the time.

Trinidad News, Trinidad Newspaper, Trinidad Sports, Trinidad politics, Trinidad and Tobago, Tobago News, Trinidad classifieds, Trinidad TV, Sports, Business

Toppa_Toppa
    He's been in a coma about a month now.

Spoogie
    ic ...

Taj
    Credits
    “A sharp knife never proclaims it’s sharpness to the world…but the first to fall against it becomes it’s advocate.”

You can put any face behind a mask but be careful cos someone else might be pretending. You might not be the only one with a secret -- Cassie/Gretel

Credits
    Why the ################ you haffi post someting like dat?

Shit deh disturbing.

steups

Credits
    first and foremost, my condolences for your friend

a bit confused though

is he a US-citizen or no? and if not, does this new Obama health-care overhaul provide health insurance coverage for non-US citizens or resident-aliens?

Toppa_Toppa
    Oh yeah, I never thought of asking the Tobago peeps if they knew him. We used to lime. Met him at the UofA. He was supposed to graduate soon I believe.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by soca control View Post
    first and foremost, my condolences for your friend

a bit confused though

is he a US-citizen or no? and if not, does this new Obama health-care overhaul provide health insurance coverage for non-US citizens or resident-aliens?
    He has a license. Therefore, he is either a resident or a citizen.

He would have had coverage under the Obama plan.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by optimizm View Post

I did not see in the article where it said he had a license

the article says, "slammed into the car of which he was traveling"
    not "which he was driving"

so I guess my question is what are the rules for this situation? is it all legal residents are covered under the new Obama proposal or does there have to be like a certain period of stay to receive health insurance coverage under the Obama plan? I ask because such health care reform drastically changes the incentives for immigration

Credits

The article didn't say he was driving, it stated "the vehicle he was travelling in" so that doesn't mean he has a license.

And if he does have a license, he doesn't have to be a citizen or resident to have a license. He is a student most likely on F-1 status so he can be granted a license.
    Those Who Sacrifice Freedom for Security Deserve Neither
    www.cookingwithval.com
    http://www.snackhealthy.com/snackwithval
    @cookingwithval
    @NicaBlack

Credits

so I guess my question is what are the rules for this situation? is it all legal residents are covered under the new Obama proposal or does there have to be like a certain period of stay to receive health insurance coverage under the Obama plan? I ask because such health care reform drastically changes the incentives for immigration
    I may be wrong but I think even illegal aliens will be able to obtain some form of health care. To what level ,..... I do not know
    www.cookingwithval.com
    @cookingwithval
    @NicaBlack

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Nica View Post
    I may be wrong but I think even illegal aliens will be able to obtain some form of health care. To what level ,..... I do not know
    No

The reform doesn't apply to undocumented people.

Credits

If you are a citizen or a legal resident, you should not have a problem under the Obama plan.

Credits
    No

The reform doesn't apply to undocumented people.
    you're right

August 14, 2009
    Will health reform cover illegal immigrants?
    Posted: 10:21 AM ET
    By John Bonifield
    CNN Medical News Producer

It’s a loaded issue — will health reform include coverage for illegal immigrants? President Obama has said no, with a possible exception for children, and the plans being drafted by Congress bar illegal immigrants. However, opponents say that the House bill leaves loopholes that may allow undocumented residents to benefit.

“There’s no system for verification,” said Ira Mehlman, media director of the Federation for American Immigration Reform, a lobbying group that aims to reduce immigration.

“On the one hand, they have language in there that says illegal aliens are not going to be eligible, but at the same time they’re getting a lot of heat from the Congressional Hispanic Caucus, from the Hispanic leadership groups, that say we want everybody covered including illegal aliens,” Mehlman said. “They’re trying to have it both ways here. They’re saying to the public, ‘Don’t worry. Illegal aliens aren’t being covered,’ and they’re turning around to these special interests and saying, ‘Well, don’t worry. There really is no system to prevent them.’”

In July, Democrats voted down an amendment to the House bill that would have required mechanisms to verify citizenship. The Congressional Hispanic Caucus, which advocates on behalf of Latinos, said in a statement to CNN that health reform should include legal immigrants who have followed the rules.

“The issue of undocumented immigrants is a separate one that is too often used to confuse the health-care debate. When it comes to undocumented immigrants, the caucus’ priority is seeing comprehensive immigration reform enacted,” said Rep. Nydia Velázquez, a Democrat from New York, chairwoman of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus.

That’s something Obama has said he’d like to see as well — immigration reform that would provide a pathway to citizenship — and legal access to the health plan.

It’s estimated that illegal immigrants and their children make up about 17 percent of uninsured people in the U.S., according to recent data by the Pew Hispanic Center. Long-term estimates by the Congressional Budget Office predict that 17 million people will remain uninsured under the reforms of the House bill. Nearly half of them are projected to be illegal immigrants.

Tell us what you think. Should health reform include coverage for illegal immigrants?

Will health reform cover illegal immigrants? – Paging Dr. Gupta - CNN.com Blogs
    www.cookingwithval.com
    @cookingwithval
    @NicaBlack

Credits
    I think it should though.

Taxpayers already pay for illegal when they visit emergency rooms.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast