Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: All The Imix folks working on Wall St.

Credits
    Interesting story. I agree. There are brothers AND SISTERS excelling out there.

Here's some info. on Reginald Lewis

Reginald F. Lewis (December 7, 1942 - January 19, 1993), an African American born in Baltimore, Maryland, was one of the most successful business leaders during the 1980s. He grew up in a middle class Baltimore neighborhood. He won a football scholarship to Virginia State College (now Virginia State University), graduating with a degree in economics in 1965. He graduated from Harvard Law School in 1968.

In 1992, Forbes magazine listed Lewis among the 400 richest Americans with a net worth estimated at $400 million.

He died, aged 50, from brain cancer.

Business
    Recruited to a top New York law firm immediately after law school, Lewis left to start his own firm two years later. After almost 20 years as a corporate lawyer with his own practice, Lewis moved to the other side of the table by creating TLC Group L.P., a venture capital firm, in 1983. His first major deal was the purchase of the McCall Pattern Company, a home sewing patten business. He later sold the company at a trememdous profit for investors.

In 1987 Lewis bought Beatrice International Foods from Beatrice Companies for $985 million, renaming it TLC Beatrice International, a snack food, beverage, and grocery store conglomerate that was the largest black-owned and black-managed business in the U.S. The deal was partly financed through Mike Milken of the maverick investment bank Drexel Burnham Lambert.

When TLC Beatrice reported revenue of $1.8 billion in 1987, it became the first black-owned company to have more than $1 billion in annual sales.

At its peak in 1996, TLC Beatrice International Holdings Inc. had sales of $2.2 billion and was number 512 on Fortune magazine's list of 1,000 largest companies. He was also a member of Kapppa Alpha Psi, Fraternity, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by socapineman View Post

you have some brothers out there making it happen...mostly corporate lawyers, who are bright and turn to deal makers.....sharp as shit ! Your Reginald Lewis of the world. BY FAR THE BEST DEAL ON THE STREET IS TO BE A DEAL MAKER !

Blessed

Credits
    To Students: While in school frequent the career service office and sharpen your skills. Apply for positions in companies you would like to see yourself working even if it is part time or in the mailroom. Don't be afraid to browse the company's website and continuously apply for positions you think you might be able to do. In my senior year I saw a part time position at a Wall St. Co. I applied they called me the next day and I was hired the day after. You just never know. Basically, if they like you they will hire you, no matter how qualified or underqualified you are, that's where training comes in.

Network with friends and family and let them know your interests. Have them forward your resumes to HR. Be bold and brave associate and talk with people who are where you want to be. Ask questions, show interest and let them know your interest. Your opportunity to get in the door can be right next to you on the subway.

When you get the job, please get to work on time and dress the part. Offer to do additional tasks if you have time. Don't browse the internet all day and chat on the phone. It makes things bad for other minorities when you have a few who fail to be professional at work.
    Blessed

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Chillybebee View Post
    Interesting story. I agree. There are brothers AND SISTERS excelling out there.

Here's some info. on Reginald Lewis

Reginald F. Lewis (December 7, 1942 - January 19, 1993), an African American born in Baltimore, Maryland, was one of the most successful business leaders during the 1980s. He grew up in a middle class Baltimore neighborhood. He won a football scholarship to Virginia State College (now Virginia State University), graduating with a degree in economics in 1965. He graduated from Harvard Law School in 1968.

In 1992, Forbes magazine listed Lewis among the 400 richest Americans with a net worth estimated at $400 million.

He died, aged 50, from brain cancer.

Business
    Recruited to a top New York law firm immediately after law school, Lewis left to start his own firm two years later. After almost 20 years as a corporate lawyer with his own practice, Lewis moved to the other side of the table by creating TLC Group L.P., a venture capital firm, in 1983. His first major deal was the purchase of the McCall Pattern Company, a home sewing patten business. He later sold the company at a trememdous profit for investors.

In 1987 Lewis bought Beatrice International Foods from Beatrice Companies for $985 million, renaming it TLC Beatrice International, a snack food, beverage, and grocery store conglomerate that was the largest black-owned and black-managed business in the U.S. The deal was partly financed through Mike Milken of the maverick investment bank Drexel Burnham Lambert.

When TLC Beatrice reported revenue of $1.8 billion in 1987, it became the first black-owned company to have more than $1 billion in annual sales.

At its peak in 1996, TLC Beatrice International Holdings Inc. had sales of $2.2 billion and was number 512 on Fortune magazine's list of 1,000 largest companies. He was also a member of Kapppa Alpha Psi, Fraternity, Inc.

I give it to you....nice info, make a lot of sense....also, if you can, please don't fail to mention that when you arrive on " Wall St. " stop playing a House Negro.....don't think that since Massa let you in you can't speak to other Blacks , and that is with black when Massa and company are around !

Too many sellouts !

Also, thanks for that info on Reginald...Man, that Man was wise as hell...I love his story....

a must read !

http://www.amazon.com/%60%60Why-Shou...388014-3367110

Credits
    Preeeach,

I always wondered why we could never say hello to each other. It's as if we think 'the man' will see us congregating and bring out the whip.
    I cant' tell you how many times I've given a smile or said hello and gotten the "what you doing here look." It's as if it's a privilege that they alone should have to work in a top co. "We" get this obnoxious, self important and entitled manner that is so unnecessary.
    Sista's have a way of giving you the once over and mean stare instead of smiling or saying hello. It's ok to acknowledge each other, you won't lose your job on account of being cordial.
    We really do have a lot to learn about socializing with each other in the workplace.
    Brotha's: it would be nice if you can say hello to us once in a while. Please Spare us the arrogance. Even If you're making $__K a year or with your white counterparts don't ignore us, acknowledge us or even slip us your business card. We might even buy you the second round of drinks.

Sista's: Other black women need not be your foes. It's a struggle for us too trying to get ahead. I was the only black person in my group and it was nice to see other familiar faces in the cafeteria or in the hallways. A smile can go a long way.
    A tip: When the guys approach you, be nice and don't give them a hard time. If you're not interested, still be pleasant, it takes a lot of courage for them to approach you. No one likes rejection so be easy. If you see he's interested give him a wink/smile...and watch him melt in your hands. :-)

Thanks socapineman, good contribution. I'll take a look at Reginald's book.
    we need to empower each other and not keep the "secret" to ourselves. Each one teach one. If we can emulate the brothas and sista's of the Harlem Rennaisance era who helped each other prosper and build wealth, we will be a force to be reckoned with. But so often we forget how to give back.

I give it to you....nice info, make a lot of sense....also, if you can, please don't fail to mention that when you arrive on " Wall St. " stop playing a House Negro.....don't think that since Massa let you in you can't speak to other Blacks , and that is with black when Massa and company are around !

Too many sellouts !

Also, thanks for that info on Reginald...Man, that Man was wise as hell...I love his story....

a must read !

http://www.amazon.com/%60%60Why-Shou...388014-3367110
    socapineman likes this.
    Blessed

Credits
    Preeeach,

I always wondered why we could never say hello to each other. It's as if we think 'the man' will see us congregating and bring out the whip.
    I cant' tell you how many times I've given a smile or said hello and gotten the "what you doing here look." It's as if it's a privilege that they alone should have to work in a top co. "We" get this obnoxious, self important and entitled manner that is so unnecessary.
    Sista's have a way of giving you the once over and mean stare instead of smiling or saying hello. It's ok to acknowledge each other, you won't lose your job on account of being cordial.
    We really do have a lot to learn about socializing with each other in the workplace.
    Brotha's: it would be nice if you can say hello to us once in a while. Please Spare us the arrogance. Even If you're making $__K a year or with your white counterparts don't ignore us, acknowledge us or even slip us your business card. We might even buy you the second round of drinks.

Sista's: Other black women need not be your foes. It's a struggle for us too trying to get ahead. I was the only black person in my group and it was nice to see other familiar faces in the cafeteria or in the hallways. A smile can go a long way.
    A tip: When the guys approach you, be nice and don't give them a hard time. If you're not interested, still be pleasant, it takes a lot of courage for them to approach you. No one likes rejection so be easy. If you see he's interested give him a wink/smile...and watch him melt in your hands. :-)

Thanks socapineman, good contribution. I'll take a look at Reginald's book.
    we need to empower each other and not keep the "secret" to ourselves. Each one teach one. If we can emulate the brothas and sista's of the Harlem Rennaisance era who helped each other prosper and build wealth, we will be a force to be reckoned with. But so often we forget how to give back.

Sister...keep your head up !. I hope you are pursuing that Law degree, anyway, I can write a book for you on the " sell-outs "' mis-educated negros I have encountered over the years on Wall St. and in life in general as if talking to me in a professional setting is going keep them from moving up the corporate ladder.... I make it my business to say hello to the man cleaning the bathroom and to my homies in the mailroom...enough of that !

Also you might be interested in these : " Black and White on Wall St" by Joseph Jett, this is the Black Shot Caller for all of Kidder Peabody Bond Trading Desk
    This man was calling the the shots !:

http://www.amazon.com/Black-White-Wa.../dp/0688161367

If you buy only one, buy this one, a must read....after reading this book or pull up info on the Web, about a Black community in Tulsa Oklahoma , which was the most prosperous Black Community in the History of America, yet racists whites Burn it down to the ground !

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Wallstre...e=UTF8&s=books

Credits
    BTW, check this article out about Black Wall St.
    :

http://www.informationman.com/blkwallst.htm

http://www.geocities.com/cureworks1/bws.htm

burn to the ground on May 31, 1921.
    Last edited by socapineman; 11-25-2006 at 12:04 PM.

Credits
    Thanks 'pineman. Excellent links. Man I'm reading about this and I'm like wow! these people are getting lnched & burned over jealousy and racism just because they're prospering.

Jett's story is intrieguing. I have to get his book. He seemed to have stood his ground. I'm glad he won against the countersuit but I'm sure the fines drained him. His bosses must have known what he was doing. c'mon now. They weren't saying moot when he was raking in all that dough for the Co. They paid the man a $8 million bonus, you mean to tell me they didn't look to see how he was doing this. Now Sec come on the scene and they leave him hi and dri to catch all the fire.
    I wonder what he's doing now.

BTW, check this article out about Black Wall St.
    :

http://www.informationman.com/blkwallst.htm

http://www.geocities.com/cureworks1/bws.htm

burn to the ground on May 31, 1921.
    Blessed

Credits
    D.H. Blair...

I almost went there. I had to choose between DH Blair and MS Farrell. I choose Farrell

then i went to VTR Capital

that whole sh!t is crazy.

If you are really serious about the wall street game work hard in school. Fack the bullsh!t, bust your ass in school, go to Harvard or UPENN or something like that and work hard. If you do that then you will be exposed to the wall street were the REAL BALLERS BALL!

Like everything else in life there are different levels of doing things. to get the proper wall street exposure without the links you gotta be a scholar.

Instead of working for a place like A.S. Goldman you can work for a place like Goldman Sachs with the proper education.

As far as the saying whats up to you brothers and sisters on wall street, lets be real....if you are really BOUT IT and trying to make sh!t really JUMP OFF for you there is no time for thinking about anybody else besides you. You should be so focused on your personal success that you shouldnt give a sh!t if the person sitting next to you is black or white.

FACK EVERYBODY ELSE ON "THE STREET".. DO YOU!

Credits
    I work for standard and poors and I am an evaluator / client rep for securities..............if you want anymore info i suggest you use a pm.........i dont want to get fired.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Ras_Apache View Post
    D.H. Blair...

I almost went there. I had to choose between DH Blair and MS Farrell. I choose Farrell

then i went to VTR Capital

that whole sh!t is crazy.

If you are really serious about the wall street game work hard in school. Fack the bullsh!t, bust your ass in school, go to Harvard or UPENN or something like that and work hard. If you do that then you will be exposed to the wall street were the REAL BALLERS BALL!

Like everything else in life there are different levels of doing things. to get the proper wall street exposure without the links you gotta be a scholar.

Instead of working for a place like A.S. Goldman you can work for a place like Goldman Sachs with the proper education.

As far as the saying whats up to you brothers and sisters on wall street, lets be real....if you are really BOUT IT and trying to make sh!t really JUMP OFF for you there is no time for thinking about anybody else besides you. You should be so focused on your personal success that you shouldnt give a sh!t if the person sitting next to you is black or white.

FACK EVERYBODY ELSE ON "THE STREET".. DO YOU!
    Well, I can't front, D.H. Blair did wonders for me, by the time I was 26 I had my own crib....but you know how the story goes...they were really an IPO powerhouse !

I started out as an analyst, after six months i was opening up accts for Richard Gattos and Harry markowitz, I sat right in back of the Master on Wall St for two years before he got so big , he had to get his own section : Al Palagonia, the man, the legend...he was the top Broker on Wall St., Man was doing like 13 Million Gross back in' 95, just outrageous for a broker... he was the Best of the Best, all the Wasps, MBAs. etc....were shock that an Italian kid from Bklyn, with just an high school degree was making them look like boys in the world of finance, Al was a " closer" ....

I 'm telling you he was the best I ever saw ! If you recall he was in a few of Spike Lee's movies...in " He Got Game " if you remember, the sport agent, well that is Al, and that part was shot at his crib in Long Island, all those cars all belong to Al....like I stated...he's the best.....how he linked up with Spike is another two pages.....but Al was the one that got Spike is courtside seats ....for the Knicks.

Yeah.. I know MS, the owner, started out at D H Blair, his name is Mardy...also, you have to remember, that Blair was a real Investment Bankers, opened up in 1918, all they did was IPOs, Bridge Loans, Buyouts, etc... but yes, whether its Morgan or A.S. Goldman, you know the drill !

Thanks 'pineman. Excellent links. Man I'm reading about this and I'm like wow! these people are getting lnched & burned over jealousy and racism just because they're prospering.

Jett's story is intrieguing. I have to get his book. He seemed to have stood his ground. I'm glad he won against the countersuit but I'm sure the fines drained him. His bosses must have known what he was doing. c'mon now. They weren't saying moot when he was raking in all that dough for the Co. They paid the man a $8 million bonus, you mean to tell me they didn't look to see how he was doing this. Now Sec come on the scene and they leave him hi and dri to catch all the fire.
    I wonder what he's doing now.

Yeah, i am surprise, a lot of ppl never heard about what took place in Oklahoma ,... i'm telling you, the Black Americans caught hell, and still catching hell in America...but this is a wonderful story.

As far as Jett, he's still calling the the shots, he runs a Hedge Fund....if i can recall the name, I'll pm you with it...but of course they knew what he was doing....no one ask questions on Wall St. when you are making money !

But all of the street is nothing more than a well paid " legal Racket. "
    Peace

Credits
    Well, I can't front, D.H. Blair did wonders for me, by the time I was 26 I had my own crib....but you know how the story goes...they were really an IPO powerhouse !

I started out as an analyst, after six months i was opening up accts for Richard Gattos and Harry markowitz, I sat right in back of the Master on Wall St for two years before he got so big , he had to get his own section : Al Palagonia, the man, the legend...he was the top Broker on Wall St., Man was doing like 13 Million Gross back in' 95, just outrageous for a broker... he was the Best of the Best, all the Wasps, MBAs. etc....were shock that an Italian kid from Bklyn, with just an high school degree was making them look like boys in the world of finance, Al was a " closer" ....

I 'm telling you he was the best I ever saw ! If you recall he was in a few of Spike Lee's movies...in " He Got Game " if you remember, the sport agent, well that is Al, and that part was shot at his crib in Long Island, all those cars all belong to Al....like I stated...he's the best.....how he linked up with Spike is another two pages.....but Al was the one that got Spike is courtside seats ....for the Knicks.

Yeah.. I know MS, the owner, started out at D H Blair, his name is Mardy...also, you have to remember, that Blair was a real Investment Bankers, opened up in 1918, all they did was IPOs, Bridge Loans, Buyouts, etc... but yes, whether its Morgan or A.S. Goldman, you know the drill !

Yeah, i am surprise, a lot of ppl never heard about what took place in Oklahoma ,... i'm telling you, the Black Americans caught hell, and still catching hell in America...but this is a wonderful story.

As far as Jett, he's still calling the the shots, he runs a Hedge Fund....if i can recall the name, I'll pm you with it...but of course they knew what he was doing....no one ask questions on Wall St. when you are making money !

But all of the street is nothing more than a well paid " legal Racket. "
    Peace
    damn son, you are a legend. you worked at DH Blair? only the true veterans had any dealing with that place. How about Stratton Oakmont.....did you ever work there?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Ras_Apache View Post
    damn son, you are a legend. you worked at DH Blair? only the true veterans had any dealing with that place. How about Stratton Oakmont.....did you ever work there?
    LOL...check your pm....

Man, I have endless stories about Al and Blair....like you stated, it was nothing but kicks listening to him "close acct. " my man just when into ..."so how do you want the acct to read...single or joint " LOL.

RE : Stratton Oakmont, yeah i heard of them, but like A.S. Goldman and other...those were boiler rooms....

One last point...remember, Blair was never running a " boiler Room " operation.... like I stated they were in business for a long time..and still in business at 44 Wall St., well the investment banking side, the Broker dealer as you know closed.

But the DA came down on them for stock manipulation...think about it, if Al was doing 13mil Gross, now that was before they had to cut the man a bonus...think how much money he was making for the firm....man ...they had no chioce but to come down on them.....this is a zero sum game......someone took a bath.....

Check the movie....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12